*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

400,651 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
The Milkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Y'all do know we're trying to win a WS right?

I swear sometimes I think peoples goal is to just be good enough to win the division for a decade rather than actually win.
agproducer
AG
The Milkman said:

Farmer1906 said:

I swear sometimes I think peoples goal is to just be good enough to win the division for a decade rather than actually win.
Baseball playoffs are a crap shoot. We just need to get there and anything can happen. Yes, it's good to have that extra arm or the extra bat. But you can see that any team can get hot. Look at the Nats in 2019. The Astros were the better team with better players, but the Nats were hit the entire playoffs.
AustinCountyAg
Pahdz said:

Oswalt was electric in an era where hitters reigned supreme. Worked fast, had a 30 mph velocity difference in his two best pitches, and was a bulldog competitor.

those aren't the type of things on a resume I am looking at when deciding if a player should deserve to get his # retired.

I agree he was a helluva pitcher in his time, but I've always thought retired #'s should be for those who are in the HOF. If not the line gets blurry. If you retire Oswalt's #, a serious case should be made for Lance then as well to have his retired BEFORE Roy O.

To me the Yankees as a prime example look stupid with all of their retired numbers. They will be using decimals and negative #'s 50 years from now.
Deluxe
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Brad Hand to the nats, 1 year deal

Looks like the Nats got a nice "hand" at the back of their bullpen
bearkatag15
AG
Beat40
agproducer said:

The Milkman said:

Farmer1906 said:

Baseball playoffs are a crap shoot. We just need to get there and anything can happen. Yes, it's good to have that extra arm or the extra bat. But you can see that any team can get hot. Look at the Nats in 2019. The Astros were the better team with better players, but the Nats were hit the entire playoffs.
Agree with everything you said.

However, I think the point being made is unless you're getting a guy that can really help you today for LMJ that offsets his contribution in the rotation, trading him makes your team worse when you're already pretty unsure of your starting rotation outside of Greinke.
Farmer1906
AG
This is weird

Bulldog73
AG
Yeah, those are unusual trade partners and the Sox situation makes it even stranger on the surface. I'll be interested in seeing how that all plays out.
Ag_07
AG
I'm not even going to pretend that I have a feeling for what the Red Sox are doing.
tjack16
AG
Thinking about it more, I don't think we should trade any key contributors (LMJ or Greinke come to mind as the one we've heard people discuss on this board. Even if we can get a good return. Our goal needs to be win now with this core still mostly intact

The core of Altuve, Correa, Bregman, Tucker, Alvarez, Brantley and Gurriel along with the young arms over the next 2 seasons puts us in WS contention. It would really suck if after this "golden age" of Astros baseball from 2017-2024 if we only had 1 title and 2 pennants to show for it.
Farmer1906
AG

So standard playoffs (3 division winners plus a wild card play in game) and no DH in the NL.
Marvin
AG
Ozuna's price tag may have just gone down... not that the Astros are in the market after signing Uncle Mike.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

So standard playoffs (3 division winners plus a wild card play in game) and no DH in the NL.

The DH is surprising to me. I know a lot of people on here hated expanded playoffs but I actually enjoyed it. I wouldnt mind if it stayed. Maybe instead of 8, it could be 6

Of the 4 new rules, 7 inning double headers, runner at 2nd to start extras, expanded playoffs and universal DH... I'm surprised at the two that actually passed for this season
Mathguy64
AG
The union rejecting a deal that would put another highly paid older player on NL squads is strange. I get the playoff part. That money stays with owners for the most part. But cutting out the DH is strange
Ags #1
AG
So 7 inning Double headers and running starting on 2nd base are in play this year too? I hate the running on 2nd base one in particular but guess the players like it so it will get the game over quicker in theory.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

The union rejecting a deal that would put another highly paid older player on NL squads is strange. I get the playoff part. That money stays with owners for the most part. But cutting out the DH is strange
The league was trying to give the players the DH spot for the expanded playoffs. Players said no deal.

IDK about highly paid either. Sure, there are a few aging sluggers who signed ridiculous contracts and now can only DH (Miggy, Pujols), but what DH really got paid. The only one that comes to mind is JD & Khris Davis. And they didn't even crack 20 M per year. Its not like they're adding a roster spot.
Farmer1906
AG
Ags #1 said:

So 7 inning Double headers and running starting on 2nd base are in play this year too? I hate the running on 2nd base one in particular but guess the players like it so it will get the game over quicker in theory.
I promise to ***** and complain about it every single time it happens. Its the worst rule baseball has come up with.
bearkatag15
AG

signed another Cuban league player today
AggieNiebs
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ags #1 said:

I promise to ***** and complain about it every single time it happens. Its the worst rule baseball has come up with.
All-Star game dictating WS Home field advantage would top that.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
Future Yuli replacement at 1B? Listed as 1B/LF.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=gonzal002nor
bearkatag15
AG

Big looking guy
Farmer1906
AG
Only 5'11", but he's thicc.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Deluxe
AG
Gimme all the Cubans
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Gimme all the Cubans

Ag_07
AG
Sure

I'd take him over Straw
Deluxe
AG
Like I said, gimme ALL the Cubans
Bobby Jimbo
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Big looking guy
Beat40
AggieNiebs said:

Farmer1906 said:

Ags #1 said:

All-Star game dictating WS Home field advantage would top that.
All-Star game dictating WS home field advantage is still light-years better than starting a man on 2nd in extra innings. I truly despise it.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Ags #1 said:

I will be there with you.

They say it's to help games end quicker, but most extra inning games end in the 10th or 11th inning anyway.

The only way I would be more ok with this rule is if they did it beginning in the 12th inning. I still wouldn't like it very much though.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ags #1 said:

I, too, will ridicule this stupid ass thing every single time.
tjack16
AG
I'd be a lot more confident if there were expanded playoffs. That 1 and done wild card makes me nervous
Farmer1906
AG
I expect to win the conference. Who's supposed to be better than us?
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I expect to win the conference. Who's supposed to be better than us?

I think we make the WS. I'm just saying that 8 team playoff would take a lot of the stress away come august - September if we play up to potential.
tjack16
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 66 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.