*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

405,378 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Ag4life80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm still on the sign Naquin for cheap train. I think he can play some CF and is basically a Reddick clone that has had injury issues that have affected his development

I'd make a run at Garrett Richards. I'd like to see a potential Strom reclamation project as depth for the rotation

Larry Dierker and Catfish Hunter were my 2 pitching models in the 70's. Both threw out of a 3/4 arm slot and were stone cold competitors who showed little emotion. Dierker made his major league debut on his 18th birthday and struck out Willie Mays in that game. He had arm issues his last few years that could have been resolved with today's medical advances.

On a personal note, my dad did some real estate investing for Larry while I was at A&M, so I got to interview for my technical writing term paper which was on free agency in baseball. We played a round of golf at Pine Forest CC. He is a great guy.
redline248
AG
bearkatag15 said:

So which 8 teams?
Those numbers don't seem bad, to me. How much did Reddick make last year?
BCSGrubber
AG
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30765171/garrett-richards-boston-red-sox-reach-1-year-10-million-deal-sources-say

Richards to the Sox
Ag_07
AG
No the numbers aren't bad but it's the last 2-3 years that would scare me.

There's a better chance of him being their Josh Reddick than current George during those last 2-3 years.
redline248
AG
I'd argue that his last 2/3 years, even if below George's career to date, will be way better than Reddick's last 2 years.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
redline248 said:

I'd argue that his last 2/3 years, even if below George's career to date, will be way better than Reddick's last 2 years.

At the end wouldn't he still be younger than Reddick?
redline248
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

redline248 said:

George is 31 right now, Reddick is 33. So he'll be 35/36 in those last two years.

Reddick only made 13mil in '19 and the prorated of about 4+ mil last year.
Ag_07
AG
Probably.

What I mean is he'll be their past his prime over priced OFer who's salary they can't wait to be off the books.

And I don't want to sound like I'm bashing George but the chances of him performing up to that contract during the later half it are slim.
redline248
AG
History says that's likely, but frankly I don't care. Like I said before, it's really not that bad a salary and it's only a few years. 22 mil is less than Pujols' annual salary since 2014.

Obviously, my opinion doesn't matter and it's not my money, but I would have paid him for 6 years to get 3 more years of all star level play while the team is positioned to be a contender. Whoever plays CF for us this year makes our lineup weaker.

Edit: and yes I know a potential contact for Correa is on the horizon
2nd edit: I will give the team some slack bc it's completely possible we offered him similar and he just said no.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
redline248 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

redline248 said:

George is 31 right now, Reddick is 33. So he'll be 35/36 in those last two years.

Reddick only made 13mil in '19 and the prorated of about 4+ mil last year.

For some reason I thought Reddick was 36/37 already.
Farmer1906
AG

Yankees add a key arm. Like most pitchers, he'll get better leaving Pittsburgh.
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Yankees add a key arm. Like most pitchers, he'll get better leaving Pittsburgh.
So NY has three or four pitchers coming off TJ surgery? A bit of risk there.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
https://section215.com/2021/01/24/philadelphia-phillies-lance-mccullers/
Wonder if there's any truth to this or if it's all speculation
Farmer1906
AG
Absolutely, but if they pan out their staff is going to be fantastic.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

What sense would it make for us to trade him? We need starting arms and can't just afford to send one away.
tylhair
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Nothing to see here. Spaeder is a Phillies fan who also happens to be a big McCullers supporter. I think it's just wishful thinking on his part.
bullard21k
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I have no idea what they could offer us in return but if there is a good ROI I'd kick the tires on it.

I know most will completely disagree with this take but I think the Astros should trade LMJ or put him in the bullpen.

The amount of torque that kid constantly puts on his forearm with breaking stuff; I personally don't think his career is going to be very long unless he drastically changes his approach. I mean its hard curve and slider pitch after pitch after pitch.

You can get away with that as a closer or an 8th inning stopper but with already having arm issues and running up high pitch counts quickly I think his most valuable role long term would be in the BP

For this season we need him in the rotation bit long term would like to see him transition to pen
Farmer1906
AG
Seems like a giant risk. Greinke is proven but he's old. Good but no ace. Framber emerged and I think he a good chance to stay good this year but that's far from a guarantee. After that Javier & Urquidy's sample sizes are tiny. Unless they all hit and stay healthy the full year, it would make no sense to take out such a huge piece of the rotation. You'd have to insert Pruitt, James, or go out an add someone else to replace him.
Mathguy64
AG
McCullers for Harper plus they pay half his salary for the length of the contract.
bullard21k
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Seems like a giant risk. Greinke is proven but he's old. Good but no ace. Framber emerged and I think he a good chance to stay good this year but that's far from a guarantee. After that Javier & Urquidy's sample sizes are tiny. Unless they all hit and stay healthy the full year, it would make no sense to take out such a huge piece of the rotation. You'd have to insert Pruitt, James, or go out an add someone else to replace him.

Correct. Why I said that's my long term solution but we need him in rotation this season for sure
MaxPower
bullard21k said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

I have no idea what they could offer us in return but if there is a good ROI I'd kick the tires on it.

I know most will completely disagree with this take but I think the Astros should trade LMJ or put him in the bullpen.

The amount of torque that kid constantly puts on his forearm with breaking stuff; I personally don't think his career is going to be very long unless he drastically changes his approach. I mean its hard curve and slider pitch after pitch after pitch.

You can get away with that as a closer or an 8th inning stopper but with already having arm issues and running up high pitch counts quickly I think his most valuable role long term would be in the BP

For this season we need him in the rotation bit long term would like to see him transition to pen
Another link in that thread speculates Rhys Hoskins. He's under team control for 3 more years so he has some appeal.
Ag_07
AG
What bothers me about Lance is A) consistency and B) his inability to have any kind of work load.

Seems like even when he's good he rarely makes it past the 5th inning (I guess that's more typical nowadays but still).

Just seems like you're paying him to be a starter when he's giving very little production.
Farmer1906
AG
"Any kind of workload" is a little much. He went 5 or more in 7 of his 11 starts. Would be 8/11 if not for an schedule early exit in the last start. That's not great, but it's not terrible either. You take the bad with the good and he averaged out to be a pitcher that keeps his ERA under 4 every year. But what you're talking about is why he'll get 4 years, 44 M and not 7 years 140 M.
Texaggie7nine
Ag_07 said:

What bothers me about Lance is A) consistency and B) his inability to have any kind of work load.

Seems like even when he's good he rarely makes it past the 5th inning (I guess that's more typical nowadays but still).

Just seems like you're paying him to be a starter when he's giving very little production.

Agreed. I love his heart and character, but if a team sees him as a potential ace and is willing to shell out that kind of value for him, I'd feel better cashing in on that.
7nine
Ag_07
AG
Fair enough...Like I said I'm still adjusting the end of the 'workhorse' pitcher.
Buck Compton
AG
MaxPower said:

bullard21k said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Another link in that thread speculates Rhys Hoskins. He's under team control for 3 more years so he has some appeal.
Still think that's fans throwing **** against the wall.

Why in the world would we want Rhys Hoskins? To replace Yuli? To DH? He is a high K (and high BB), low average hitter that isn't remarkably different against righties or lefties that plays worse defense than Yuli.

I know Yuli is aging, but he's our starter this year and there's an option for next year if he's still good. Rhys is already 27, and we would get one year of him starting most likely. We sure aren't signing him once he's 30.

If someone wants to toss a few high prospects to us, then maybe. But not Hoskins.
Ag4life80
AG
I would not trade McCullers. His stuff is electric and he's a gamer. That combo is too rare to part with. IF, he's able to put it all together, he's in Bauer territory.
Poke_the_Bear
AG
Im all for this. He is gone after this year and long term he is definetly a bullpen arm but will garner a starters contract for 22. Trade him and sign 1 or 2 FA starters.

Sell while he is still high value.
tjack16
AG
I'd see what it takes to extend LMJ. If it's too high then they would probably trade him. But if it's doable with a Correa extension then I try to resign him and keep him as your #3 starter for the next 4-5 years

I'd rather we keep him. He's one of my favorites and I think the best is yet to come if we can work out an extension. Which he said he wants
Farmer1906
AG
Poke_the_Bear said:

Im all for this. He is gone after this year and long term he is definetly a bullpen arm but will garner a starters contract for 22. Trade him and sign 1 or 2 FA starters.

Sell while he is still high value.

Which starters?

Lance is only making 6.5 M.

Based on Clicks recent comments it sounds like we'll be short of the luxury tax. With Lance maybe Click will spend 15 M.
Farmer1906
AG
Y'all do know we're trying to win a WS right?
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Y'all do know we're trying to win a WS right?

I agree. Trading LMJ would send a very bad signal to the team.
AggieMD95
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Pahdz said:

Niekro? If anyone else has a claim it should be Dierker before that.

Oswalt was electric in an era where hitters reigned supreme. Worked fast, had a 30 mph velocity difference in his two best pitches, and was a bulldog competitor.

It's good discussion, I was gonna say Wagner deserves to be in the discussion as well. He absolutely should be in the HOF

Best pitcher I have seen short term has been JV and Cole last two years.

Best pitcher I have seen pitch for Houston long term would be Scott/Oswalt.

The one that had the most potential was James Rodney. He was a right handed Randy Johnson at the same age/point in his career. Hitters were absolutely terrified of him because of the wildness and speed. JRRitis was a real disease that affected the Dodgers. That stroke and really the early misdiagnosis was devastating.

I think Nolan Ryan was the best
Farmer1906
AG
Have any of these deals worked?

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Brad Hand to the nats, 1 year deal
First Page Last Page
Page 65 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.