*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

404,748 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
k20dub said:

Deluxe said:

Every dollar the Yankees spend on right handed hitting and not on pitching is a positive

Welp.

He's a huge question mark. If they paid him a decent amount that just means they'll be out of money to spend soon to stay under the luxury cap.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Astros aren't getting him
Farmer1906
AG
We never were.
Deluxe
AG
k20dub said:

Deluxe said:

Every dollar the Yankees spend on right handed hitting and not on pitching is a positive

Welp.

He's washed up
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906
AG
9.75 does seem low after making 8 last year. He'll probably get around 11.
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

k20dub said:

Deluxe said:

Welp.

He's a huge question mark. If they paid him a decent amount that just means they'll be out of money to spend soon to stay under the luxury cap.

Since when do the Yankees care about the luxury tax?
Ag_07
AG
$12.5 is dirt cheap for Correa

Love it
07ag
AG
Farmer1906 said:

arbitration has to pick one of the two submitted numbers
https://ts.la/eric59704
Mathguy64
AG
07ag said:

Farmer1906 said:

arbitration has to pick one of the two submitted numbers

Unless they settle before. I wouldn't be shocked to see that happen.
redline248
AG
I know it's business, but geez, just pay Carlos already
AggiEE
redline248 said:

He's getting paid plenty, and will get paid a massive amount on the free agent market.

I dunno, I'm curious if the Astros will win this. It's still an increase over last year, and COVID has significant depressed the owner's revenue side of the equation. They may have a better shot than they would in a typical year.
n_touch
AggiEE said:

redline248 said:

He's getting paid plenty, and will get paid a massive amount on the free agent market.

I dunno, I'm curious if the Astros will win this. It's still an increase over last year, and COVID has significant depressed the owner's revenue side of the equation. They may have a better shot than they would in a typical year.
Is this the hill to win on? They won with George and keeping him down an extra year, how did that work for them in the long run? Maybe they know he wont resign here anyway so they don't care.
AggiEE
n_touch said:

AggiEE said:

redline248 said:

Is this the hill to win on? They won with George and keeping him down an extra year, how did that work for them in the long run? Maybe they know he wont resign here anyway so they don't care.

I think the latter. There's no way we pay Correa what he will command on the FA market, and I doubt that arbitration hearings are anything to take personally. George will take the best offer presented and his previous history will not factor into it at all

There isn't very much loyalty in professional sports especially at the level Correa plays at
Ag_07
AG
Yep. Players take the best offers in FA.

You're screwed if you start giving every player you want to keep down the road an extra 3 mil here and there to build up good faith and then they start bolting for bigger offers.

From my understanding players know arbitration is part of the business and they don't take them too personally.
tjack16
AG
Our front office needs to make a Correa extension the top priority this season.

Focus on outfield the rest of the offseason. Then focus on making Carlos an offer he can't refuse
Farmer1906
AG
Reminder: TED is going to rake in 2021
Quote:

According to FanGraphs ZiPS Projections, Kyle Tucker should have a similar campaign to 2020. The projection calls for him to hit .265/.334/.487 with 30 doubles, 27 homers, 95 RBIs and 25 stolen bases. This is under the assumption that Tucker will play 144 games and get 596 plate appearances, which seems fair given Tucker is young and doesn't have history of nagging impeding his availability.
Deluxe
AG
Excellent post
Farmer1906
AG
This is interesting. Who y'all got?

Yordan should be the favorite to lead the team. I'd probably put Bregman next. But this is probably the 3rd spot unless Tuve goes off or we sign a power free agent.
Farmer1906
AG
Playoff Carlos - HR every 14.2 ABs
Regular Season Carlos - HR every 21.2 ABs
k20dub
AG
Contract Year Carlos - HR every 10 ABs
CFTXAG10
AG
Farmer1906 said:

This is interesting. Who y'all got?

Yordan should be the favorite to lead the team. I'd probably put Bregman next. But this is probably the 3rd spot unless Tuve goes off or we sign a power free agent.

Between those 2 give me Correa in a contract year. On the team I want to sign Ozuna and watch him and Alvarez talk trash to each other whilst dueling for the team lead in home runs.
tjack16
AG
We are paying Carlos for what he does in October. Playoff Correa has earned the max deal
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

We are paying Carlos for what he does in October. Playoff Correa has earned the max deal

Gotta get there first.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

Gotta get there first.
Which is easier to do with guys like him on the roster
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

Gotta get there first.
Which is easier to do with guys like him on the roster

Correct.

If we ever go back to how playoffs were, he'll need some of that playoff production in the regular season.
Harry Dunne
k20dub said:

Contract Year Carlos - HR every 10 ABs
So 35-40 HR then?
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Quote:

According to FanGraphs ZiPS Projections, Kyle Tucker should have a similar campaign to 2020. The projection calls for him to hit .265/.334/.487 with 30 doubles, 27 homers, 95 RBIs and 25 stolen bases. This is under the assumption that Tucker will play 144 games and get 596 plate appearances, which seems fair given Tucker is young and doesn't have history of nagging impeding his availability.

At the risk of you spitting a bunch of league-average facts and advanced metrics back at me (haha), I would hope that Tucker can hit for more average than that... say .280 or better.

Any shot of him being at the top of the lineup to replace George?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
mazag08
AG
Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

Quote:

At the risk of you spitting a bunch of league-average facts and advanced metrics back at me (haha), I would hope that Tucker can hit for more average than that... say .280 or better.

.265 with the amount of walks he draws isn't a bad thing. It would be nice if it was higher, but as long as he's productive at the right times (men on base, late innings, etc), then .265 is fine.
Panama Red
AG
Cool tribute to those lost in 2020.

Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

Quote:

Me? I would never!

I would love for him to hit that .280 mark, but he hasn't shown that in his past. Outside of a 100 game stint in triple A in 2018 where he his .332, he's always been a .265 type hitter.

2015 (18) Rookie - .246
2016 (19) Low & High A - .285
2017 (20) High A & AA - .274
2018 (21) AAA & MLB - .306
2019 (22) AAA & MLB - .266
2020 (23) MLB - .268

He did show some positive trends before the step back in the bigs. Maybe he figures something out and gets up a few points higher. He's only 24 after all.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Wonder if the Astros forsee not being able to resign Correa, they consider trading for this guy and giving up Carlos. I am not advocating for it, just that Click has previously made statements about them possibly making moves that would seem unusual on the surface, and the Rays (where he came from) have a habit of moving guys before they become free agents.
Deluxe
AG
If we decided to deal Carlos, Castillo seems like exactly the type of pitcher we'd target. Top tier arm with multi-year controllability. Just hard to imagine a team like the Reds wanting a one year rental in return.

And any team considering a trade for Carlos going to factor in that they can potentially sign him (or a number of other top SS FAs) next winter without having to give up any assets.

Unless a team is somehow willing to give us an Archer - Glasnow/Meadows type of deal, seems like our overwhelming best choice is to pay the man.
Farmer1906
AG
I was trying to get an idea of where Carlos Ranks as far as top SS go.

Looking back, since 2015, at the SS with multiple top 50 WAR seasons and 100 or more wRC+.

Tatis Jr stands out above the rest. Small sample size, but he's been a rock star from the jump.

Manny would be #2, but he's more of a 3B even though he played significant time at SS previously.

After that, its fairly close between Seager, Correa, and Lindor. Looking at #s I would probably put Carlos 3rd in that group, but its close.

If we were to trade him, it would look similar to what the Tribe got for Lindor. Good, but not game changing.

2022 is going to be the offseason of the SS.

CFTXAG10
AG

First Page Last Page
Page 53 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.