*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

405,087 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This year more than any other may separate the haves from the have nots financially.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Here are his stats: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/colomal01.shtml
bearkatag15
AG

And the Astros are now considered the biggest cheats in the sport since the Black Sox. The hypocrisy runs deep.
Post removed:
by user
spadilly
S
Sports...cheat until you get caught, then keep cheating until the punishment outweighs the benefits.

Not saying I agree with it, but let's not act like sports is the great moral compass.
YNWA_AG
AG

RO519
AG
Please no Puig.
Deluxe
AG
Giving a closer like Hendricks a 4 year deal seems very against our organizational strategy (and Click's TB strategy). I'm usually not in favor of it either. But man, the idea of slotting all our current guys down a peg really changes our whole late inning dynamic.

Pressly - meh closer, good setup man

Raley/Paredes/Taylor/Smith - meh setup men, really good bullpen pieces

(Obviously Paredes has more upside than that)
Farmer1906
AG
100% cannot will not give a closer big long term money. It doesnt work. Abort! Abort!
Deluxe
AG
I agree with both takes
Ag_07
AG
The good news is that in the current climate no one is gonna give a closer a long big contract.
n_touch
RO519 said:

Please no Puig.
Why not? He would be a good asset to make sure the bats are clean.

Mathguy64
AG
Puig may be a better player with Yuli as a mentor.
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

The good news is that in the current climate no one is gonna give a closer a long big contract.

Maybe we're anticipating that we can get him on a shorter deal for that reason. A 2-3 year deal for Hendricks might be nice.
RO519
AG
n_touch said:

RO519 said:

Please no Puig.
Why not? He would be a good asset to make sure the bats are clean.

Or he is just spreading the rona to everyone...
Farmer1906
AG
RO519 said:

Please no Puig.
I am far from a Puig fan, but this is the type of cheap signing that small-market teams make. He's still an above-average hitter who isn't a liability in the OF. As long as you have the clubhouse to deal with his personality, he can be a cheap asset that produces.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

I agree with both takes
Yeah.

He good.

No red flags.Velo staying steady after going up. Spin keeps trending up. He already made smart moves and stopped throwing his worst pitches. Probably not going to get any better, but he's already good.

Ag4life80
AG
I'm gonna go with doing whatever it takes to resign Brantley, then sign Marisnik, and use Tyler Naquin as my cheap Reddick replacement.
Mr.Bond
AG
Brantley is a must at this point with George clearly gone
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

redline248
AG
The Athletic had an article about the lack of FA signings so far this offseason, and it was basically "its ok to spend money on goods players to try and win." Basically praised the Padres while going, what is wrong with you, cubs?

It also suggested that everyone shouldn't just applaud the Rays for dismantling a contender in order to maintain their philosophy of selling off proven guys to acquire prospects and keep the payroll down. Pretty interesting piece for discussion, I thought.
Quote:

Most teams appear to view the prospect of making the present club better as a luxury that can only be entertained if those maneuvers don't damage some future version of the club.

https://theathletic.com/2298468/2021/01/04/mccullough-good-free-agents-available-2021-offseason?source=user-shared-article
Marvin
AG
I WANT SOME ROSTER ACTION, DAMN IT!!!
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
mazag08
AG
Ag4life80 said:

I'm gonna go with doing whatever it takes to resign Brantley, then sign Marisnik, and use Tyler Naquin as my cheap Reddick replacement.
I'd be happy with this.

That would be an elite defensive outfield and we'd be able to keep guys fresh with a good rotation.
Kashchei
AG
I'm still sad about George leaving. He was the team's spark plug and my favorite all time Stro.
tjack16
AG
Kashchei said:

I'm still sad about George leaving. He was the team's spark plug and my favorite all time Stro.
same here. I'll still wear my Springer jersey since he did nothing to lose our respect. Maybe one day he will come back and retire as an Astro
agproducer
AG
Original post was on Astros Instagram. It's interesting the Astros are covering a FA.

Ag4life80
AG
Love me some Springer, also. He seemed to be all about staying as of a couple of years ago, then..... I wonder if Bregman getting big money first pissed him off. I remember Springer, Correa, and others were outwardly elated when Altuve got his, just wonder if those same guys felt Springer was due before Bregman.
dshedd41
S
https://climbingtalshill.com/2021/01/05/astros-puig-remains-on-astros-radar/
Gig’em Aggies!
W
AG
regarding Springer...

when he did not get extended last offseason...that was the sign...the Astros were not going to pay him.

the Astros extend the players they want to keep
redline248
AG
W said:

regarding Springer...

when he did not get extended last offseason...that was the sign...the Astros were not going to pay him.

the Astros extend the players they want to keep
I don't remember the full timeline, but was Lunhow fired before any real contract negotiations could happen? Hard for Click to come on board in the early spring and offer a contract right away.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Kashchei
AG

I get the hate from both sides. 3,000 hits is auto HOF, but he and Bagwell were both postseason chokers.
W
AG
if Crane had told Click to get it done...Click would have.

there was plenty of time in March, April, May, June, etc..,
Ag4life80
AG
I've also heard that once Springer married a jersey girl, returning to Houston was not in her game plan
Farmer1906
AG

Dodgers aren't afraid to spend.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Dodgers aren't afraid to spend.

The question was anyone going to actually spend that on him?
First Page Last Page
Page 46 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.