*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

405,503 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't disagree. They still have a handful of their very best prospects. They'll need all they traded for and more to deal with the Dodgers.
BMX Bandit
MosesHallRAB04 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Don't understand the criticism in trading so many players for Snell. As W says, it's 3 years of control.

It's that they are doing it in multiple trades.
what does that mean?

they apparently kept their two best prospects.
Deluxe
AG
Interesting dynamic for the Padres right now for sure. Probably not too dissimilar to our situation back in 2016. We knew the window was opening and needed arms to win in October.

We grabbed Verlander, Cole and Greinke over the next three seasons. Like the Padres, we didn't give up any of our top tier guys (Tucker, Yordan and Whitley). We did give up quite a few "next tier" guys though. Corbin, JBB and Beer would probably be among our top prospects now that Tucker/Yordan are in the bigs and Whitley is close (hopefully). As it stands today, our farm system is somewhat depleted from a rankings standpoint, but I'd still do each of those trades over again 100%.

This is about the time when dealing F Perez, Musgrove, Feliz, JBB and Corbin for the big three was supposed sting a little, but we've uncovered some other arms in our system that are doing just fine at the big league level. I think teams with budget considerations do need to be cautious about those types of trades because cheap everyday players are necessary to offset big money star players. The Astros are probably out of the market for another 4 prospects for 1 immediate help deal for the next couple seasons as we restock. But again, I have no regret about any of the big three trades.

Maybe it will work out the same way for the Padres. Snell/Darvish might not be who I would want to bet on to get me over the hump (relative to Cole/JV/Greinke anyway), but they need arms bad and have to make some moves to keep up with the Dodgers.
Ag_07
AG
Clevinger and Snell are two Cy Young caliber arms. If I were a SD fan I'd have no problem with my team latching on to them to be the 1/2 of the future.

Darvish is a crap shoot who's probably past his prime but as #3 he's not bad.

With those 3 plus that offense they got they're certainly closing the gap with the Dodgers.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Didn't Clevinger have tommy john at the end of the season? I think they're only going to get one season of work out of him before he hits free agency.
BMX Bandit
Darvish was 2nd in cy young vote last year. He may be best #3 in MLB
Deluxe
AG
Fair points. I don't know much about the prospects they dealt but I'd probly make those trades too.
Deluxe
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Darvish was 2nd in cy young vote last year. He may be best #3 in MLB

He did have a nice season last year but I still think he's a bit of a dice roll given the inconsistency/injury concerns that have plagued his career.
BMX Bandit
but is there much cost to that dice roll when you don't even give up a top 10 prospect?
Deluxe
AG
Nope. Didn't mean to imply that I thought otherwise.
Ag_07
AG
Damn...I Didn't realize that
BMX Bandit
Looking at his second half of 2019 stats

13 starts
2.76 ERA
118 k
7 BB
0.808 WHIP
Deluxe
AG
Wonder if he had some injuries that healed up in the second half of 2019. Or maybe he had to re-work his mechanics a bit to prevent tipping and it finally clicked.
bearkatag15
AG
Not sure if this was brought up earlier, but I just got my 2021 Astros calendar and Yuli isn't in it at all. Straw is there instead. Seems like a big absence. Probably means nothing but just something I noticed that I thought was strange.
Ag_07
AG
Printed (or at least proofed) prior to Yuli signing his FA deal late last season.
CFTXAG10
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Trevor Bauer

Pros: Cy Young Award winner

Cons: Has been known to be a head case who fires balls over the CF fence.

Ag_07
AG
What a clown.

What happened to all that talk of him just signing 1 year deals?
n_touch
Mathguy64 said:

Trevor Bauer

Pros: Cy Young Award winner

Cons: Has been known to be a head case who fires balls over the CF fence.

Have him play center, we know he can get it from the wall to home
astros4545
AG
Talked to a current major leaguer earlier this week

Further cemented that every team cheats
Marvin
AG
astros4545 said:

Thanks for the riveting details there, buddy!
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
JYDog90
AG
astros4545 said:

Yeah, do you have a podcast or something we can subscribe to?

I'm guessing you did not talk to a player from the Dodgers, Angels, or Yankees because they most certainly do NOT cheat.
Formerly Willy Wonka
EastCoastAgNc
AG
astros4545 said:

Be sure to get them Ken rosenthal's contact info. I'm sure he'll be all over it
TxAg82
AG
I've spoken to a guy with the Dodgers - like in the dugout in 2017 with the Dodgers - several times. He thinks what the Astros did was a step beyond others and certainly more effective, but does not deny everyone was trying.
Ag_07
AG
So we're even better at cheating than the Dodgers.

Sounds about right.
AustinCountyAg
One of my best friends is a veteran pitcher for an American League team we all hate. When all this crap broke i asked him about it and his exact response was " yeah, everyone has been doing it since I've been in the big leagues, that why you change signs".

**** them all. 2017 champs.
aggiederelict
Britton?
Ag_07
AG
aggiederelict said:

Britton?

Context?
scrimp
AG
Does everyone cheat? Sure seems like it. The reason the Astros are getting all the hate is because of the "perfect storm" of factors--a former player ratting the team out, the cheating being very obvious to find on regular broadcast once you knew what to look for, and the fact that the Astros aren't the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, or Dodgers....
Bulldog73
AG
I think he's asking if the player AustinCountyAg referenced is Zach Britton. I'd be surprised if ACA answers at all as it seems he was intentionally being a vague.
bearkatag15
AG
Rumors are that Matt Chapman is getting traded. Some stuff on Twitter and Dallas Braden hinting to something negative for them

Ag_07
AG
Wouldn't mind seeing him leave the division or even the AL.
AustinCountyAg
No.
W
AG
Chapman's departure would be great for the 'stros...assuming its outside of the division.

his new team would have 3 years of control --- so the A's should be getting a truckload of prospects
Farmer1906
AG
Because of course they are.

First Page Last Page
Page 45 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.