*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

405,352 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
kegstand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
third coast.. said:

I did not even read the tweet and went straight to looking at the Rockies 3B. Maybe i have a fundamental misunderstanding of WAR but I thought it would be higher in his case, but then mike trout wouldnt seem to make sense at 8. Idk. i dont get super in to all the statistical stuff, so here we are.
This is just projected WAR for next season ( think). So it's a little suspect just as an extrapolation and also leans on career avg stats so some of those younger studs (Tatis, Bellinger) are a little overshaded IMO.
JJxvi
AG
Any negative numbers on that chart should be replaced with 0's.
Farmer1906
AG
Why?
JJxvi
AG
0 is replacement level, so with WAR every team should theoretically be able to get to zero by cobbling something together. Realistically some teams and players will end up negative in actual fact, but with projections, IMO every team should be expected to get to zero. Even if they currently have the worst players ever at a position they could cut them and expect to get 0 out of whoever they grab off the scrap heap.
Farmer1906
AG
JJxvi said:

0 is replacement level, so with WAR every team should theoretically be able to get to zero by cobbling something together. Realistically some teams and players will end up negative in actual fact, but with projections, IMO every team should be expected to get to zero. Even if they currently have the worst players ever at a position they could cut them and expect to get 0 out of whoever they grab off the scrap heap.
If you know some will be negative why would you want a prediction that ignores that?
JJxvi
AG
Farmer1906 said:

JJxvi said:

If you know some will be negative why would you want a prediction that ignores that?
I know some will be negative, but I dont know which ones, nor which teams will chase the dragon with negative WAR players instead of just finding a 0 WAR replacements or platoons to plug the gap.

I think its likely the intention of his post is only for current roster analysis, not really prediction, which I guess is why they have the negatives. I'm assuming for example, Colorado is -2 at 1b because Colorado essentially doesnt have a 1B right now?

But if you try to use this for projection purposes or compare how Colorado is likely to perform compared to another team, you have to realize that Colorado can be expected to field a combined WAR of 0 at 1B next year, with any replacement level players they eventually plug in at the position.
astros4545
AG

How many triple A markets are there that we should be impressed by a top 30 ranking
07ag
AG
astros4545 said:

How many triple A markets are there that we should be impressed by a top 30 ranking
like saying the texans are in the top 30 nfl franchises
https://ts.la/eric59704
JJxvi
AG
There are 30 teams, so MLB needed to choose 30 AAA teams. They're just saying they are thankful they are one of the 30 given an opportunity to be at that level in the future.

Sugarland, St. Paul, and Jacksonville were not AAA markets before so three AAA markets got kicked to the curb (Fresno, San Antonio, and Wichita [technically New Orleans since they never played a AAA season after moving to Wichita])
BMX Bandit
Pahdz
Throwback affiliate
Big Al 1992
AG
I thought MLB had done away with several minor league clubs - how many A and AA had to fold due to Covid?
dshedd41
S
https://climbingtalshill.com/2020/12/10/houston-astros-ashville-tourists/
Gig’em Aggies!
redline248
AG
https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/james-click-discusses-astros-offseason

Outfield spots
Quote:

Well, Springer and Brantley and all the free agents that we lost were a huge part of this team and part of this franchise. We are engaged on a number of fronts, those guys included. And so, we will continue to put our best foot forward there and see if we can keep the team together. But at the same time, we need to read and react to the market and those guys have earned the right to go out there and see what the market holds for them. And if ultimately it doesn't line up back here in Houston like we hope it does, we'll be ready to bring in some players that can help us out.

Correa
Quote:

We're going to be open to any and all avenues to try to put this organization and this franchise in the best position possible to compete for as long as we possibly can. And that means entertaining things that maybe people don't understand why we would entertain them. That said, we're trying to win. We're trying to win in 2021. We're trying to win in '22 and '23 and beyond. And having a guy like Carlos Correa at shortstop makes it a lot easier to win.
bearkatag15
AG

Altuve was at MMP working on getting rid of those yips from the ALCS
Ag_07
AG
So typical GM speak that doesn't indicate anything one way or the other.
redline248
AG
bingo
Deluxe
AG
From what I've seen of Click so far, he's among the GM-speakiest GMs in the game. Can talk for a long time without saying anything of substance.
Farmer1906
AG
That's a fairly good trait to have in his line of work.

GMs aren't going to show their cards. Gotta read between the lines. To me it sounds like they're doing all they can to keep Correa.
W
AG
do we expect anything to happen before the end of the year?

I'm guessing nothing until January
W
AG
and then with regard to COVID...

perhaps 25% capacity allowed at MMP for April...and maybe 50% by the summertime.

that's going to be really rough with a full 162-game payroll. Really rough
Harry Dunne
Deluxe said:

From what I've seen of Click so far, he's among the GM-speakiest GMs in the game. Can talk for a long time without saying anything of substance.
That's good - that's the mark of a true pro. I'd rather him play it close to the vest and get the job done behind the scenes than be candid and enjoyable in meaningless interviews and risk giving up his position.
Deluxe
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Deluxe said:

That's good - that's the mark of a true pro. I'd rather him play it close to the vest and get the job done behind the scenes than be candid and enjoyable in meaningless interviews and risk giving up his position.
Didn't mean to imply it's a bad thing
Marvin
AG
This has been a painful stretch of no news. Hopefully things pick up in early January.
Mathguy64
AG
Until teams know what their revenue stream from tickets will be I imagine it will be very slow.
astros4545
AG
Yankees letter decision about to go down i think

Court Oral Argument (uscourts.gov)
Deluxe
AG
astros4545 said:

I like that
Deluxe
AG
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-president-randy-levine-plans-to-personally-argue-against-release-of-sign-stealing-letter-report-says/

Randy Levine flailing around aimlessly trying to defend his case and the judge keeps shooting him down. It's pretty funny.
dshedd41
S

Gig’em Aggies!
iamtheglove
astros4545 said:

Interesting listening. Yankees lawyer Levine displaying standard Yankees arrogance and getting picked apart by the panel of judges.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Deluxe
AG
astros4545 said:

Does anyone have any info on timeline/next steps on this?
bearkatag15
AG

This is lame...
Teddy Perkins
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Red Sox signed Hunter Renfroe. 1 year, $3.1MM
First Page Last Page
Page 42 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.