*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

405,385 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Click really has nothing to do with Springer staying or going. It's all on how much Crane is willing to pay.
Harry Dunne
If that's true, why even have a GM?

I'm sure there's a conversation about how much Crane wants to spend and if he says "pay the man whatever it takes" then it happens, but the more likely scenario is that Crane sets the budget and Click decides how to spend it.
tjack16
AG
Any good Astros Christmas gift ideas? I got my brother at A&M the AL Champions replica ring. We were supposed to go to the giveaway game for it this season, and I got one with my cutout.

Any other cheap gift ideas I should throw in his bag?
n_touch
What's cheap?
tjack16
AG
n_touch said:

What's cheap?
like under $25.
BMX Bandit
Harry Dunne said:

If that's true, why even have a GM?

For every other non-Max type deal on the team.

Do you really think Springer staying will tied to Click? Explain how.

Quote:

I'm sure there's a conversation about how much Crane wants to spend and if he says "pay the man whatever it takes" then it happens, but the more likely scenario is that Crane sets the budget and Click decides how to spend it.

Generally yes. With a "break the bank" type signing the owner will always be in on the discussion.

Harry Dunne
BMX Bandit said:

For every other non-Max type deal on the team.

Do you really think Springer staying will tied to Click? Explain how.
My experience with administration and decision-making in professional sports is limited, but I have been had the opportunity to be a peripheral part of personnel and facility contracts and their negotiation. Not in MLB and certainly not with the Astros, but enough to have some basis on which to comment...but I'm speculating, just like everyone else.

GMs are not like managers. It is not nearly as common for a failed GM to get a second chance. Therefore, strong candidates like Click are usually careful to wait for a situation in which they think they have a strong chance to succeed and aren't going to be handcuffed. It's not crazy to think that Click might have wanted certain assurances about autonomy (or at least the final word on personnel decisions) as a condition to taking the job. It's reasonable that the "if the budget is limited to X, then I don't want to tie the hopes and dreams of the franchise to a long-term contract on an aging superstar unless you are willing to continue to spend an equal amount on the rest of the roster". I obviously don't think Click is acting alone on the Springer deal, but I also don't think Crane would override him Jerry Jones style. My guess is that Click would say, "If you aren't increasing the budget, then keeping George means we can't keep/re-sign players X, Y and Z and my opinion is that they money is better spent on..." - and then hopefully Crane listens to him, because that's why he hired the guy. Again, speculation based on limited information but pretty common sense IMO.
Quote:

Generally yes. With a "break the bank" type signing the owner will always be in on the discussion.
Yes, that's basically what I said. Based on common sense, where any owner of any business is going to want some input on major expenditures. All apologies if you are Brandon Taubman posting in your spare time and have some more concrete insight on what generally happens behind closed doors.

I also hate to post Chandler Rome, but...

n_touch
I can do an RTIC for about that price after shipping if you want to do something personalized.
redline248
AG
I wonder if they think we can win without Springer
tjack16
AG
redline248 said:

I wonder if they think we can win without Springer

We can win without him. However that only happens if we make a smart decision and keep Brantley/get a serviceable replacement for Springer. The key is will Alvarez actually return and be healthy. Losing his bat as a DH, Brantley and Springer would be crippling.

Springer is my favorite Astro but if we make smart moves in replacing him, we still will contend for the WS
Harry Dunne
Of course we can win without George, but like tjack said, some smart moves would have to be made to make up for the loss.

Another way to look at it is can we win with George eating up a huge chunk of the payroll and forcing the team to have to be thrifty with other roster spots?
tjack16
AG
Honestly as much as I hate to say it, I've given up hope we re-sign Springer. I dont think we will be the highest bidder.

I just don't want our front office to wait around too long and miss out on other viable OF options that can replace him.
MAROON
AG
We are not signing Springer so glad you have finally come around. I think they would love to sign him but I understand that Springer is not interested in staying in Houston. Wants to move closer to home in the NE.
n_touch
MAROON said:

We are not signing Springer so glad you have finally come around. I think they would love to sign him but I understand that Springer is not interested in staying in Houston. Wants to move closer to home in the NE.

Is this anything like Cole wanting to be closer to home?
tjack16
AG
MAROON said:

Yeah once the season ended and no deal had been talked about I knew it was an extreme long shot. IMO either the deal would get done during the season, last offseason or not at all.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
agproducer
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Nicely done. Now, where's the Red Sox cheating joke?
Deluxe
AG
MAROON said:

I agree that Springer is not coming back in all likelihood. Just not sure where you've seen reports that 1) he's not interested in staying in Houston and 2) he wants to play in the NE. I've seen speculation to those extents but nothing even close to definitive.
Ag_07
AG
His sister's boyfriend's cousin's ex husband's uncle says George hates Houston and wants out bad.
MAROON
AG
two separate people that talk directly to GS.
Beat40
MAROON said:

Understood, but it was widely reported Gerrit Cole wanted to be closer to family too.

At the end of the day, money talks and George will most likely go where he's paid highest, even if that means the west coast, polar opposite of where his family is.
Mathguy64
AG
MAROON said:

At the end of the day, what George wants wont matter. The MLBPA won't let him go somewhere for a lesser contract. They wield immense leverage over the players in this matter as what contract he takes sets a valuation for the players that come later.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
MAROON said:

Names or I don't believe you. Everyone has anonymous sources these day and 90% of them are made up.

But I agree he gone.
MAROON
AG
I'll lose a lot of sleep over this
Panama Red
AG
Posted this a few weeks ago, but will do again as this Springer story doesn't make sense

While I do think Springer is going to leave because a team will pay him more than the Astros, I'm not buying the story that he will not come back to the Astros regardless of the money they offer.

He's upset that he lost millions and millions of dollars because of the Astros going by the rules, so as revenge he is going to give up even more millions and millions of dollars? That just doesn't make much sense.

But even if he does feel that way, why would he be telling people that is his position? That makes even less sense. This is going to be his only opportunity of his career to test the free-agent market while he is still good. Is he really going to tell people that one of the bidders doesn't have a chance? That hurts is negotiation with other teams

EastCoastAgNc
AG

Relevant because division rival
Deluxe
AG
Surprising that they would break up the best rotation in baseball
CoachRTM
AG
Dunning is a high risk/ high reward type SP prospect. Interesting.
Big Al 1992
AG
3 years ago today ....

bearkatag15
AG

This is pretty interesting stuff here
3B Paul 97
AG
Is that considered Rangers' blue for the color coding?
Farmer1906
AG
He did something similar a month or so back that I posted. Good stuff.

Sign a few decent OFers and we'll move to first.
Marvin
AG
How does the DH not skew those numbers to AL teams?
Farmer1906
AG
Slightly. DH has low WARs generally since they don't play D.
Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 41 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.