*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

405,546 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big Al 1992
Teddy Perkins
MuyGrandeAg
The Astros will be an extremely dangerous team in 2021. The starting lineup will be loaded once again with all star talent up and down. I think Michael Brantley will be back for 2 more seasons and Carlos Correa is not getting traded. The Astros need veteran experience in the bullpen with the young talent they have. All star left handed reliever Brad Hand would be an awesome pickup for the club and one left handed starting pitcher would be nice to have. You will see free agency start heating about 2 weeks before Christmas.

Crane needs to give Springer 5 years/160 MM and give the man a statue out in front of the juice box after he retires just like Altuve will get.

Astros will win it all once again and make the Yankees cry in pain.

mAgnoliAg
AG
Wow 4 year old profile and this is your first post
tjack16
AG
Pahdz
I love when official team accounts go snark... usually ends well
Bobby Jimbo
AG
Pahdz said:

I love when official team accounts go snark... usually ends well
Especially a team without a mascot. Yikes.
Pahdz
but that tweet is hilarious
Farmer1906
AG
From a Q&A from the Blue Jays beat.

Quote:

Work continues on that front, and boy is what I'm hearing interesting. To build on the analogy made by the agent who said the Blue Jays are being flirty, it sounds like they're legitimately trying to put some rings on it, too. D.J. LeMahieu was described to me as "the perfect fit" and that he didn't immediately re-sign with the New York Yankees suggests he's seriously considering his options in more than a cursory way. The New York Mets, under new owner Steve Cohen, are probably gumming things up there after making it clear they're in it to win it on multiple fronts. While the Blue Jays may be willing to set the market, agents will probably want to wait for the Mets to drop the gauntlet.

That impacts the market for another Blue Jays target in George Springer, with whom they've progressed beyond just talking. Same thing with Michael Brantley, but while his left-handed bat and offensive profile are perfect for the batting order, how he fits defensively is less seamless. Since he's limited to left field and DH, that means pushing Lourdes Gurriel Jr. out of a spot in which he just started settling in. The Blue Jays don't mind creating redundancies good luck keeping everyone happy, Charlie Montoyo! but that also creates surplus to trade.
Deluxe
AG
LeMahieu does seem like a nice fit in Toronto with their young core
MuyGrandeAg
Toronto has an excellent young core that is loaded with talent, but I could not see LeMahieu signing with the Blue Jays. He will be turning 33 this upcoming season and is not looking to sit through a rebuild which Toronto is currently in. I will assume he wants to win now. The Blue Jays would have to make a splash in free agency or through trades to get D.J. to even consider playing for them. Also, I am not sure what kind of financial flexibility the Blue Jays have since they are owned by Rogers Communications. LeMahieu is going to get at least 12 million or more per year.
Poke_the_Bear
AG
I dont think the Jays are in a rebuild, they are moving to a win now phase. Hence the springer rumors as well
Deluxe
AG
Do we have any non tender decisions this week? Deadline is 12/2.

For the most part, I think we took care of this a few weeks ago when we waived our prime non tender candidates (Garneau, Osuna and Devo) and they elected free agency.
Ag_07
AG
Toronto has good young team but it just seems like a crappy place to play.
Farmer1906
AG
I don't see any candidates.
Mathguy64
AG
You have to wonder if they will even get to play at home this year. Canada already locked them out once.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I don't see any candidates.
Me neither. Sounds like teams are waiting until after the non tender deadline to really kick start free agent conversations. Market for the non-elite players will probably be diluted.

No in-person winter meetings this year either.
tjack16
AG
this is the slowest offseason .... somebody big sign somewhere. Make a move
Deluxe
AG
tjack16 said:

this is the slowest offseason .... somebody big sign somewhere. Make a move
The 2018-19 offseason with Harper and Kuechel's ridiculous demands was fairly excruciating, but I'll be surprised if this one isn't much worse. Guessing Jeff Passan and Jon Heyman already have 10 columns queued up regarding how unfairly the players are being treated. Lots of grandstanding and posturing are in order before the CBA runs out after the 2021 season.

Hopefully we can make our play for Brantley quickly. I tend to think his market will evolve quicker than most players because he's a plus value guy who isn't demanding a long term deal. I think guys with minimal value above replacement will be sitting around a while, as will guys looking for nine figure deals.

My hunch is that we can wait out the market to address our needs beyond Brantley (vet outfielder, backup catcher and a couple arms). Will be interesting to see how we play it.
YNWA_AG
AG

Dang wish we got him
bearkatag15
AG

Reddick officially not returning
JABQ04
AG
I know he was anti-clutch but he was a fun player to like.
Marvin
AG
Welp, that's a big outfield for Tucker to cover by himself...
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

True. But if anyone could do it, its TED!
n_touch
Marvin said:

This is where the shift will come in handy
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

I hope Farmer's hyperbolic TED posts never get old
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

I hope Farmer's hyperbolic TED posts never get old
They never will to me and in the end that is all I care about.
W
AG
will be interesting to see what kind of offers Reddick gets. It may be slim pickings.

1 year at $3 MM or so
agproducer
AG
I read an interesting article that speculates that a lot of good players are doing to hit the market with the non-tenders like Schwarber, Almora and Eddie Rosario. It could be an interesting few days.
irish pete ag06
AG
I know a guy in baseball ops. He works in the ticket sales area. Pretty decently high up in his org. He said everyone is cash strapped.

I know everyone says WELL THIS OWNER IS WORTH 3 BILLION, etc. but anyone who has a clue knows that not how businesses work. All MLB teams are smoked right now when it comes to cash. This offseason is going to be weird. He predicts there will probably be nearly only 1 year deals.
Harry Dunne
JABQ04 said:

I know he was anti-clutch but he was a fun player to like.
He was...just a good dude that was a lot of fun and busted his ass on the field.

Reddick just fell off a cliff after age 30. MVP votes and a Gold Glove at age 25. Huge part of the 2017 team, and I'll always love him for that. At age 30 his closest comparable player historically was HoVGer Paul O'Neill...the main difference being that PON (probably with some chemical help) played his best baseball from ages 31-38.

This whole Will Fuller thing has me thinking about steroids and TBH it's sad to me to see players falling off so fast in their 30s after getting spoiled by watching guys like Biggio play their best baseball after 30 and stick around until age 40.
irish pete ag06
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

I know a guy in baseball ops. He works in the ticket sales area. Pretty decently high up in his org. He said everyone is cash strapped.

I know everyone says WELL THIS OWNER IS WORTH 3 BILLION, etc. but anyone who has a clue knows that not how businesses work. All MLB teams are smoked right now when it comes to cash. This offseason is going to be weird. He predicts there will probably be nearly only 1 year deals.
And to add to why he thinks 1 year deals will be the norm is that even the best players who are free agents, will wanna wait until after next season when hopefully they balance sheets have recovered to sign a long term deal.

I think out of this there will be some team that capitalizes on the 1 year deals and signs a bunch of good players and makes a run out of nowhere.
Beat40
irish pete ag06 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

And to add to why he thinks 1 year deals will be the norm is that even the best players who are free agents, will wanna wait until after next season when hopefully they balance sheets have recovered to sign a long term deal.

I think out of this there will be some team that capitalizes on the 1 year deals and signs a bunch of good players and makes a run out of nowhere.

I wonder if a team like the White Sox will do that in regards to pitching with their offense.

I'm also really interested to see if the Braves employ that strategy for this year to make a run at 2021 coming off of 2020.
Beat40
By the way, good to see you posting!
First Page Last Page
Page 38 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.