*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,128 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
MAROON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Turner Field was located in the middle of the hood. People didn't want to drive down there for fear of getting killed. MMP is located in a business district surrounded by upscale apartments and good restaurants. Is there an occasional bum walking around - sure. It's not close to the situation they had in Atlanta. Plus ATL had an idiot mayor.....wait....forget that point
07ag
AG
didn't the astros renew the lease for another 25 years in 2017?
https://ts.la/eric59704
JJxvi
AG
I cant really imagine a better location for MMP in the entire metro area. Going to a game feels a lot like the walk through a college campus to a college football game surrounded by fans wearing the colors. Totally different than the feeling you get going to Reliant or the Astrodome (or Arlington).
Mathguy64
AG
W said:

I've been to a few White Sox and Tigers home games...in their new and old stadiums.

I wish they had been in the boondocks

The part of Chicago where old Comisky was can only be described as the last place on earth where anyone would want to be after dark.
JJxvi
AG
JJxvi said:

I cant really imagine a better location for MMP in the entire metro area. Going to a game feels a lot like the walk through a college campus to a college football game surrounded by fans wearing the colors. Totally different than the feeling you get going to Reliant or the Astrodome (or Arlington).
Also, I dont really want to bag on Arlington, the area is actually very nice, especially compared to the much older more utilitarian Reliant Park area in Houston. But stadiums in the middle of basically park land and parking lots just dont have the same feel as an urban stadium. MMP, Toyota Center, and to a lesser extent BBVA Stadium are all excellent.
Big Al 1992
AG
Landing spots for Springer?
I've seen Blue Jays, Mets and Phillies mentioned.
TRM
AG
MAROON said:

Turner Field was located in the middle of the hood. People didn't want to drive down there for fear of getting killed. MMP is located in a business district surrounded by upscale apartments and good restaurants. Is there an occasional bum walking around - sure. It's not close to the situation they had in Atlanta. Plus ATL had still has an idiot mayor.....wait....forget that point
FIFY
mazag08
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Landing spots for Springer?
I've seen Blue Jays, Mets and Phillies mentioned.

Back when I had a 10 year franchise on MLB The Show 16, Springer left for free agency and went to Philly.

Bregman retired due to injury in 2023. Correa signed long term.

We draft a SS in 2022 who reaches the majors in 24 and becomes a perennial all star and MVP candidate.

Tyler Naquin ends up with the Astros through trades in 2024 as well.
BMX Bandit
MAROON said:

Turner Field was located in the middle of the hood. People didn't want to drive down there for fear of getting killed. MMP is located in a business district surrounded by upscale apartments and good restaurants. Is there an occasional bum walking around - sure. It's not close to the situation they had in Atlanta. Plus ATL had an idiot mayor.....wait....forget that point

Know how I know you weren't in NE part of downtown much in 2000?
MAROON
AG
well I worked downtown in 2000 so you would be somewhat wrong - although I only ventured over to NE side for Astros games and never felt uncomfortable walking around there. Yes NE side was the worst part of downtown and MMP was a catalyst to change it to a decent part of downtown now. Sort of like when they tore down Allen Parkway Village all the sudden southwest portion of downtown wasn't a sheethole anymore.
W
AG
07ag said:

didn't the astros renew the lease for another 25 years in 2017?
yes, through 2050...and that may fall under the category of "it seemed like a good idea at the time"

in the world of sports and politics things can change quickly.

and long-term contracts for anything in sports is usually not the right approach
W
AG
Mathguy64 said:

W said:

I've been to a few White Sox and Tigers home games...in their new and old stadiums.

I wish they had been in the boondocks

The part of Chicago where old Comisky was can only be described as the last place on earth where anyone would want to be after dark.
it was semi-difficult enjoying the (night) game, because we knew the walk back to the car was still to come
Frok
AG
I don't really fault George Springer or Jim Crane, I understand both sides.

I just really hate to see George leave. He's my favorite player because he plays with so much heart.

If I was owner I would go broke keeping this team together.
AggieLit
Quote:

time will tell with the Astros. Some of the factors that drove the Braves to suburbs are definitely relevant to the Astros.

Well, downtown and surrounding areas have exploded in residential population in the past twenty years, mostly upper-income, and downtown has become a much more interesting neighborhood to walk around before and after games. People can come to a game and stay at a hotel and make a little weekend getaway out of it, as I've seen plenty doing when staying at downtown hotels. Certainly the bars around downtown, like Biggio's or 8th Wonder Brewery, offer much more interesting options than Montgomery County.

Crane has development plans around MMP - he bought a lot across Texas Ave a couple years ago that will likely be some kind of residential highrise. So it doesn't seem like he has plans of getting out.
Big Al 1992
AG
Exactly - things change. Astrodome area around S Braeswood and the Shamrock hotel also used to be pretty swanky. And wasnt the Enron naming rights for something like 99 years. How'd that work out?
AggieLit
MAROON said:

Wasn't it also across a freeway or two from downtown, so you didn't get any of the advantages?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Quote:

Keeper of The Spirits said:
I love George but if wants to leave, don't let the door hit him on the way out.

He needs to do what's best for George and the Astros did what was best for the Astros. If he is salty over a couple million when he has amassed generational wealth playing for the Astros, has a qualifying offer to increase that and benefitted from our pretty solid player development program, then enjoy being spit on by Yankee ****s and Bosox drunks when you don't perform.

These posts crack me up. If you weren't getting paid what your peers were being paid and management purposefully held you back to save money, you'd be screaming like a baby and looking for a way out fast. The difference is you could leave at anytime.

It doesn't matter the amount of money you make, every person would feel the exact same way.

This is almost my exact situation, but I love the org and the people and make great scratch but could make 50-75% more, but I don't need it, so why let it bother me
W
AG
speaking of Naquin...he still has 2 more seasons to go before free agency.

I hope he can keep his numbers up and have a shot at a nice payday.

he posted a .792 OPS in 2019
W
AG
and then there's the COVID.

if the Astros had attempted to sell tickets at 10% or 20% capacity...would they have gotten blowback from Turner or Hidalgo?

will either try to make the 'stros go fan-less in 2021?
bluefire579
AG
W said:

if the Astros had attempted to sell tickets at 10% or 20% capacity...would they have gotten blowback from Turner or Hidalgo?

That was an MLB rule. Texans have had fans this year without any kind of blow back. Not everything needs to be about partisan politics.
TREX01
bluefire579 said:

W said:

That was an MLB rule. Texans have had fans this year without any kind of blow back. Not everything needs to be about partisan politics.
His question about Turner and Hidalgo is valid. Sorry your have sand in your vag.
JJxvi
AG
The Dynamo also currently have a few fans attend at BBVA
bluefire579
AG
TREX01 said:

bluefire579 said:

W said:

His question about Turner and Hidalgo is valid. Sorry your have sand in your vag.
No it isn't. Sorry you can't see past your apparent hatred of those two to see that a) other teams in the area have been selling tickets without issue and b) fans were never an option for this season at MMP due to MLB rules. Also sorry you can't form a valid argument without doing a drive by or sinking to personal insults.
07ag
AG
i wonder if there is a way to quarantine the posters from forum 16
https://ts.la/eric59704
tjack16
AG
I really like the location of MMP. Downtown Houston is great
mazag08
AG
Safe spaces for everyone!
Farmer1906
AG

That's gunna be a no from me. If we spend it should be on An OF then it should be Springer. Not the worst defensive OF in baseball on a team with the best DH.
tjack16
AG
I actually think that would be a great pick up. He can play left field and his bat is insanely good
Mathguy64
AG
Why in the world would we spend money on a big contract for a sub par 30 year old defensive outfielder? Spend it on a 30 year old plus defensive outfielder who is already on your team. The Ozuna talk makes 0 sense.
BCSGrubber
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Why in the world would we spend money on a big contract for a sub par 30 year old defensive outfielder? Spend it on a 30 year old plus defensive outfielder who is already on your team. The Ozuna talk makes 0 sense.

Because George isn't coming back
tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

because In 2020 Ozuna batted .338/.431/.636 (each 3rd in the NL) with an NL-leading 18 home runs, 56 RBI

and George isn't coming back. writing is on the wall. I'd be shocked if he does sign with us, even if we offer him a huge deal

Ozuna would be an awesome replacement and his bat instantly replaces George's in a lineup
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Mathguy64 said:

because In 2020 Ozuna batted .338/.431/.636 (each 3rd in the NL) with an NL-leading 18 home runs, 56 RBI

and George isn't coming back. writing is on the wall. I'd be shocked if he does sign with us, even if we offer him a huge deal

Ozuna would be an awesome replacement and his bat instantly replaces George's in a lineup

He would. It's almost like if we're willing to spend that kind of money, we should offer it to... say... GEORGE SPRINGER?!
Farmer1906
AG
BCSGrubber said:

Mathguy64 said:

He is if we offer him the most money.
BCSGrubber
AG
Farmer1906 said:

BCSGrubber said:

Mathguy64 said:

He is if we offer him the most money.

I think George is going to want more than Osuza and I could be completely wrong, but I don't see crane paying 5 years 130 mill
Mathguy64
AG
Not Astros related, unless it's George's new team, and the chances just went up by a factor of 24 million.

Mets INF Robinson Cano is officially an idiot. He just got popped for Roids. Since it's his second time he gets 162 games. That's $24 MM that the Mets now have to spend elsewhere.
First Page Last Page
Page 33 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.