*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,336 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
TREX01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Harry Dunne said:

TREX01 said:

I guess they could have hired Brad Mills. LaRussa hasn't managed a baseball game since 2011. There is no way this goes well.
Is he any worse than Dusty? They have a good team, he's a smart guy and unlike Dusty he has actually won some rings.

Again, you can really never call it a huge get when you hire a guy who might be dead by the time your draft picks reach the majors, but I would be shocked if they had a terrible 2021 season.
I don't pretend to know anything about the Sox organization, but my first thought when seeing the hire was bringing him in to create a certain culture and to maybe mentor a young coach they may be very high on in their system. Other than that, who the hell knows.

And to answer your question, he is not worse than dusty and I thought Dusty was a terrible hire and an even worse extension after 9 freaking games.
redline248
AG
Imagine a world in which Houston let's Springer walk and keeps Dusty Baker.
k20dub
AG
agproducer
AG
White Sox PR team apparently is just as good as the PR team at the Astros. Whoops! Or maybe they wanted Hinch instead of LaRussa.

https://sports.yahoo.com/white-sox-tony-la-russas-hire-astros-manager-aj-hinch-signature-mlb-221009715.html
tjack16
AG
agproducer said:

White Sox PR team apparently it's just as good as the PR team at the Astros. Whoops! Or maybe they wanted Hinch instead of LaRussa.

https://sports.yahoo.com/white-sox-tony-la-russas-hire-astros-manager-aj-hinch-signature-mlb-221009715.html

tough look for the Sox
agdaddy04
AG
I'm going to hate seeing Hinch on the opposing bench next year.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Thats basically the white sox hiring aj hinch without feeling the pressure or the backlash. Larussa will manage 1 year or less then turn the keys over to hinch.

Larussas first year managing was 1979. Has anyone else managed in 6 different decades?
agdaddy04
AG
Not if someone else hires him first. Hinch is not going to sit out another year.
YNWA_AG
AG
Tigers are going to pick up hinch
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Sorry I thought someone said that LaRussa had hired Hinch.
Deluxe
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Sorry I thought someone said that LaRussa had hired Hinch.

Nope, common mistake. Dusty Baker was gonna hire LaRussa but then the Tigers hired Hinch and LaRussa went to the White Sox.
Ag_07
AG
After seeing that atrocious Luhnow interview I knew that Hinch would be back soon and Luhnow would be the one on the outside looking in.

He handled all that pretty well and in typical AJ fashion. Acknowledged the mistake, took responsibility for not stopping it, and showed remorse.

Such a pro. Will certainly be tough seeing him manager elsewhere. Wish him well.

I don't know DET current progress on their rebuild but it wouldn't surprise me to see both George and AJ end up there.
Bregxit
AG
Don't know why this old ass video is popping up in recs but I think you guys will like it...

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Round of 32 Results! Sweet 16 Matchups and Voting Link coming soon.

Clancy Region

#1 Final Out, Game 7 World Series, 2017 vs. #8 Correa drives in Altuve for walk off, 2017 ALCS Game 2 97.9%-2.1%

#2 Marwin Gonzalez, game-tying HR in the 9th, Game 2, 2017 World Series
vs. #7 Nolan Ryan breaks Walter Johnson's career strikeout record (3,509), 1983 70.8%-29.2%

#3 Astros trade for Justin Verlander at the wire, 2017 vs. #6 Morton & McCullers combined 3-hitter vs. Yankees, Game 7, 2017 68.8%-31.2%

#4 Jose Altuve walkoff HR Game 6 ALCS 2019 vs. #5 Astros trade Larry Anderson for Jeff Bagwell, 1990, 68.8%-31.2%

Nevin Region

#1 Final out of Game 6 2005 NLCS - Astros to the World Series vs. #8 Craig Biggio elected to the Hall of Fame, 2015, 54.2%-45.8%

#2 Altuve wins 2017 MVP vs. #7 Jeff Bagwell 3 HR, 1994 - Astros down 0-11, win 15-12, 72.9%-27.1%

#3 Lance Berkman, game-tying grand slam 2005 NLDS Game 4 vs. #6 Randy Johnson's debut, complete-game win and a base hit, 1998, 70.8%-29.2%

#4 Verlander strikes out 13 in complete game vs. Yankees, Game 2 of 2017 ALCS vs. #5 Chris Burke, Walkoff HR Game 4, 2004 NLDS (18 innings) 22.9%-77.1%

Wild Thing Region

#1 Alex Bregman walk-off single scores Derek Fisher, 2017 World Series Game 5 vs. #8 First World Series Game in Houston, 2005 93.8%-6.2%

#2 George Springer, game-winning HR in the 11th, Game 2 2017 World Series vs. #7 Biggio's last game 2007 85.1%-14.9%

#3 Mike Scott makes Ray Knight his ***** for 14th K to end Game 1, 1986 NLCS Game 1 (2-hit shutout) vs. #6 Astros win the NL Central Division,September 25, 1997 77.1%-22.9%

#4 George Springer 2-run homer, Game 7 2017 World Series vs. #5 Nolan Ryan record-breaking fifth no-hitter, 1981 52.1%-47.9%

Mouton Region

#1 Biggio gets 5 hits including #3,000, 2007 vs. #8 Jose Altuve 3 HRs vs. Red Sox, 2017, 2017 ALDS 93.8%-6.2%

#2 Mike Scott no-hitter to clinch the West, 1986 vs. #7 Beltran hits 2 HR in Game 2004 NLDS, Astros first playoff series win ever 87.5%-12.5%

#3 Six pitchers combine to no-hit Yankees, 2003 vs, #6 JR Richard 15 strikes out in MLB Debut,1971 61.7%-38.3%

#4 Carlos Correa walkoff HR Game 4 ALCS 2020 vs. #5 Jeff Kent, Walkoff HR Game 5, 2004 NLCS, 75%-25%
redline248
AG
According to Twitter, La Russa once coached Dusty Baker in the majors.
07ag
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Thats basically the white sox hiring aj hinch without feeling the pressure or the backlash. Larussa will manage 1 year or less then turn the keys over to hinch.

Larussas first year managing was 1979. Has anyone else managed in 6 different decades?
Connie Mack managed in 7
https://ts.la/eric59704
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Here's a good way to waste an hour or so on your Friday morning.

Round of 16

VOTE NOW!

#1 Final Out, Game 7 World Series, 2017 vs. #4 Jose Altuve walkoff HR Game 6 ALCS 2019

#2 Marwin Gonzalez, game-tying HR in the 9th, Game 2, 2017 World Series vs. #3 Astros trade for Justin Verlander at the wire, 2017

#1 Final out of Game 6 2005 NLCS - Astros to the World Series vs. #5 Chris Burke, Walkoff HR Game 4, 2004 NLDS (18 innings)

#2 Altuve wins 2017 MVP vs. #3 Lance Berkman, grand slam 2005 NLDS Game 4

#1 Alex Bregman walk-off single scores Derek Fisher, 2017 World Series Game 5 vs. #4 George Springer 2-run homer, Game 7 2017 World Series

#2 George Springer, game-winning HR in the 11th, Game 2 2017 World Series vs. #3 Mike Scott makes Ray Knight his ***** for 14th K to end Game 1, 1986 NLCS Game 1 (2-hit shutout)

#1 Biggio gets 5 hits including #3,000, 2007 vs. #4 Carlos Correa walkoff HR Game 4 ALCS 2020

#2 Mike Scott no-hitter to clinch the West, 1986 vs. #3 Six pitchers combine to no-hit Yankees, 2003

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
redline248 said:

In his first year with the White Sox, he managed the worst baseball name of all time.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kuntzru01.shtml
Mathguy64
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

redline248 said:

In his first year with the White Sox, he managed the worst baseball name of all time.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kuntzru01.shtml

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
spadilly
S
Ag_07 said:

I always assumed that. Just meant it's now officially on the list.

While I'm not on board for shelling out for a top end closer it's obvious Pressley can't do it especially over a full 162 season.

I bet we give Paredes a shot if he's ready
Farmer1906
AG
spadilly said:

Ag_07 said:

I always assumed that. Just meant it's now officially on the list.

While I'm not on board for shelling out for a top end closer it's obvious Pressley can't do it especially over a full 162 season.

I bet we give Paredes a shot if he's ready

He sure looked the part. I wonder if his future is in the bullpen or not. He came through the minors as a starter/piggyback guy. He average over 4 innings per appearance in 2019.
Harry Dunne
MuckRaker96 said:

That uni! I'm pretty sure they wore that jersey with shorts for a bit.

On the radio this morning they said that they can't wait until no-fun LaRussa has to deal with one of Dallas Keuchel's trademark passive-aggressive criticisms of team leadership.
Deluxe
AG
Yea. Seems like Paredes could be groomed for one of those Tampa multi-inning hybrid roles given his minor league usage.

I tend to think we'll be doing closer more by committee next year, with Pressly getting first crack at the traditional save opportunities. Seems likely we'll bring in an experienced hand or two, but probably not someone who commands the "closer" role on day one. We're already adding Joe Smith to the mix regardless.

Our pitching staff looks tight (and talented) next year even without any acquisitions. I think the following are locks/likely to be on the opening day roster next year:

Locks (9): Valdez, LMJ, Urquidy, Greinke, Javier, Smith, Paredes, Taylor, Pressly
Likely (2): Pruitt, Scrubb

That means only two of the following would make the team as it currently stands: Garcia, Abreu, Whitley, Perez, De Jong, Armenteros, Sneed, James (hurt). Retaining Raley and/or Peacock crowds up the picture even more. Love the competition for spots though.
Farmer1906
AG
CFM reunion?

Mr.Bond
AG
If I had to guess, he retires
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

CFM reunion?

On a one year deal? Yes please.
Mathguy64
AG
Bigger picture with the Rays is what happens to that staff. Snell got yanked early twice in 2 weeks and was visibly upset. As he should have been. I wonder how much tension there is between starters and Cash/analytics boys behind the scenes. And how many will want to stay when they become FAs.
bluefire579
AG
Watching him this year, he definitely still has it. Would be a good veteran arm to anchor all the young guys in the rotation.
linkdude
AG
CFM for back of rotation starter, pushing Javier to relief ace, possibly. If we have another shortened season, that could work very well.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I can't see CFM coming to Houston. He made clear when he signed with the Rays he wanted to be close to home. My guess is he'll either retire or the Rays will sign him for cheaper.
W
AG
if Hinch lands in Detroit...he'll get to deal with the Miguel Cabrera headache for 3 years (at $30 MM per)

but Miguel will probably like all the days off he's going to get
scrimp
AG
Love me some CFM, but I think the short season benefited him. Even with the short season, he spent 24 days on the IL. A full season may have put more wear and tear on that shoulder. 2019 was the only season in the last 5 that he didn't have a stint on the IL.

I'd love to see him back on the Astros, but I'm guessing age/injuries/salary expectations make that a difficult fit.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Cabrera needs 134 hits and 13 HR for 3,000 and 500. Hinch should let him play until he gets there then ask him to retire to save the franchise a **** load of money.

And as a candidate for the worst trade in baseball history, I present to you:

: Miguel Cabrera with Dontrelle Willis to the Detroit Tigers for Dallas Trahern (minors), Burke Badenhop, Frankie De La Cruz, Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller and Mike Rabelo.

Except for Maybin, I've never even heard of any of the guys the Marlins got in return. Yikes.
Ag_07
AG
Never heard of Andrew Miller?

But yeah that was bad but wasn't that a salary dump situation where FLA was just giving away guys?
agdaddy04
AG
Man hate the AJ was hired by the Tigers but knew that'd happen. So frustrating.
First Page Last Page
Page 20 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.