*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,267 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
agdaddy04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We were at Little Woodrows with their big screen setup in the parking lot. Fun times.
bluefire579
AG
Pahdz said:

Watching that, just forget the tournament Muck...that Burke homer is it. I remember exactly where I was, in a hotel alone in OKC for work and I guarantee I screamed loud enough to make the whole floor of the Crowne Plaza on NW Expressway wonder WTF.

The fact it was the damn Braves, who broke my heart all those years I was in HS. It just felt like a gigantic weight lifted off the franchise.
I remember it being a Sunday, watching it at home with my girlfriend at the time. She had never been a baseball fan, but my own enthusiasm had drawn her in, so she was watching it with me, putting off studying for a test she had that week. She lasted as long as she could, and finally left in (my memory fails me here) the 16th or 17th inning. Sure enough, we come up in the 18th inning, and Chris Burke hits that line drive into the Crawford Boxes, and she only got to experience it through me texting her.

But yeah, same feeling with the Braves, destroying young me's hopes as I started to come into a state where I was understanding what was going on in the game and really starting to follow the Astros as a fan beyond just rooting for what my dad was rooting for.
Buck Compton
AG
tjack16 said:

Interesting video. Made in may 2017 so before the WS run
Thoughts on the video....

- SUPER low bar for #8.... Shouldn't be on there.
- I miss watching Biggio play baseball
- I forgot how much I hated the Braves back then
- **** the Yankees. 6-man no hitter still counts.
- Can you imagine having a back of a bullpen like Lidge, Dotel, Wagner again?
Harry Dunne
Buck Compton said:

Can you imagine having a back of a bullpen like Lidge, Doyle, Wagner again?

Sir Arthur Conan Dotel
Buck Compton
AG
I ****ing hate iPhone's new autocorrect. It's straight- up trash.
agproducer
AG
That Burke game, I remembered the Ausmus HR to send it to extras, but I'd forgotten the Astros were down 6-1 in the 8th and Berkman hit the slam.

Also, I'd forgotten Bidge went 5 for 5 in the 3,000 hit game and El Caballo walked it off with a granny.

One more thing, I like Blummer, but still miss Jim Deshaies.
tjack16
AG
The marwin grand slam was a lot of fun. I was at the ballpark ... but yeah no where near the top 8

My guess is looking at the date it was made is that the Marwin GS had just happened so the guy who made the video was still hyped about it
bluefire579
AG
Buck Compton said:

I ****ing hate iPhone's new autocorrect. It's straight- up trash.
But at least you don't seem to ducking hate it
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
It was a Sunday. I was a freshman at A&M living on campus in a dorm. It was an early game and I woke up right before it started, so I didn't go eat before the game. As a typical male college student I had no food in my room, at some point I was so hungry my stomach was killing me and I literally ran down like 4 flights of stairs to try and buy something from the commons but it was already closed for the day.

Went back up stairs to keep watching, around the 14th inning or so I got sick to my stomach because my stomach hurt so bad. I had already told myself I was not missing this game though, when he hit that homerun you could hear all the cheers in the dorm from the other guys watch as well.

I then went down stairs, and proceeded to walk to Taco Bell over by north gate.

The fun times on no internet on a phone, no food delivery, no car parked nearby to go get food....fun times, simpler times
Harry Dunne
Gold Glove nominees...

FIRST BASE: AL -- Yuli Gurriel (Astros), Matt Olson (A's), Evan White (Mariners).

SHORTSTOP: AL -- Carlos Correa (Astros), J.P. Crawford (Mariners), Niko Goodrum (Tigers).

LEFT FIELD: AL -- Alex Gordon (Royals), Lourdes Gurriel Jr. (Blue Jays), Kyle Tucker (Astros)

No surprises & 1b & SS but got a little chuckle out of Tucker on that list. I have not always been a fan, but I have wanted him in the field over an over the hill Reddick since day 1. He was a minor league CF, can really move and has a decent arm. This is no longer a popularity contest - these voters use all the defensive metrics.

Anyway, hope these guys all win their first GGs!

Pahdz
Yuli really deserves it, dude has come a LONG way at first
Ag_07
AG
Yuli does deserve it but those are 3 really good defensive 1Bmen. That's a tough vote.

Carlos should win at SS and I don't event think it should be close. He's so good defensively.

Tucker in LF is interesting.
Mathguy64
AG
Kiermeier didn't get nominated. He was pissed. There was an article on espn about it.
Deluxe
AG
I was at the Burke walk off game with my uncle. He had an event that night and decided before the 18th inning that it would have to be our last inning. Worked out.

The Berkman grand slam that day was one of my fav MMP memories. I had basically already accepted that we'd be going back to Atlanta tied 2-2. The GS got us back in the game and flipped the script.
Farmer1906
AG
Anyone who finds the Tucker nomination "interesting" (like 3 or 4 of y'all now) has not been paying attention. I've been trying to tell y'all since last year.
Big Al 1992
AG
Couple random great moments -

JR Richard striking out Reggie Jackson in the '80 All Star game a few weeks before his stroke. Started the game and pitched 2 scoreless innings

Also - All Star Game held at MM Park '04?? - HR contest - Berkman hits 7 or 8 dingers in a row.
Big Al 1992
AG
Really pulling for Glasgow and the Rays...

Beat40
Big Al 1992 said:

Really pulling for Glasgow and the Rays...

And the best part is that it's CC
tjack16
AG
Glasnow is one of the guys I'd love to get (even before this interview) just because I feel like he could be the next Gerrit Cole type with Strom as his pitching coach
Deluxe
AG
tjack16 said:

Glasnow is one of the guys I'd love to get (even before this interview) just because I feel like he could be the next Gerrit Cole type with Strom as his pitching coach

I think Cole and Glasnow are good comparisons because both had great stuff that wasn't being properly utilized in the Pirates org. Then both excelled with franchises that gave them fresh, analytically-backed approaches.

But to your point, I'm not sure if the Rays org is the right place to look for pitching talent that isn't being properly utilized.
Ag_07
AG
When I typed that I had a feeling you would get all riled up.

It's not that I doubt Tucker's defensive abilities or I think he sucks on defense. He just doesn't make a lot of highlight or flashy plays that jump out at you and think 'Damn that's a gold glove LFer right there'.

That's why I say it's interesting. Not that he doesn't deserve it but I don't think Gold Glove when someone mentions Kyle Tucker like I would with say a guy like Correa.

And we know you've been telling us.
Teddy Perkins
AG
bluefire579
AG
Ouch
Mathguy64
AG
What I read that I thought it said he tore his labia. And it made sense.
E
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Can the recovery time be a few months longer?... asking for a friend.

Kidding.

But seriously.
Mathguy64
AG
Wow. Adamis is channeling his inner Kent Hrbek pulling Muncy down off the bag. The question is was Muncy out of control?
YNWA_AG
AG
Ex Astro prospect Brett Phillips with the walkoff
AggiEE
Ag_07 said:

It's not that I doubt Tucker's defensive abilities or I think he sucks on defense. He just doesn't make a lot of highlight or flashy plays that jump out at you and think 'Damn that's a gold glove LFer right there'.

That's why I say it's interesting. Not that he doesn't deserve it but I don't think Gold Glove when someone mentions Kyle Tucker like I would with say a guy like Correa.

That says a lot about how misleading many of those highlight plays are.

Which would you rather have? A guy that often doesn't get to the ball in time and makes a rare highlight play...or the guy that is fast enough and has the best read on balls that he makes difficult plays look routine?

People thought I was crazy for suggesting Tuckerbhsva much better outfielder than Reddick but it's absolutely true
AggieLit
Pahdz said:

Watching that, just forget the tournament Muck...that Burke homer is it. I remember exactly where I was, in a hotel alone in OKC for work and I guarantee I screamed loud enough to make the whole floor of the Crowne Plaza on NW Expressway wonder WTF.

The fact it was the damn Braves, who broke my heart all those years I was in HS. It just felt like a gigantic weight lifted off the franchise.

I was at Fitzwilly's sitting at the bar. Didn't have cable so I watched the whole playoffs on Northgate. I sat at the bar for all 18 innings, about 6 hours I guess. Met a lot of people who came and went.
Harry Dunne
Ag_07 said:

Fielding is hard to evaluate without stats.

We have enough data to tell us Odor sucks despite the HR. We don't have that with fielding. Just the feeling that a guy looks good out there and makes flashy plays...but in the OF, covering ground is the #1 thing that makes one guy more valuable than another. He has a good and accurate arm and made only one error all season. I admit I was surprised he was on the list, but its easy to understand why.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Kiermeier didn't get nominated. He was pissed. There was an article on espn about it.
Being a ***** automatically disqualifies you.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Pahdz said:

The problem with the Burke HR is that we kept him on the team FOREVER after that when he clearly wasn't going to be a solution as a starter.

The #1 moment is clearly June 2, 1992, when 18-year-old Muck threw out the first pitch, then Mark Portugal pitched a complete-game shutout over the Expos. In essence, we combined for a shutout.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/HOU/HOU199206020.shtml
JABQ04
tjack16
AG

Mathguy64
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Rays string of amazing luck may be running dry. This could be a short series.

Mr Chairman, I would like to reserve the right to amend my previous remarks on this matter.
First Page Last Page
Page 14 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.