*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

405,963 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes he does
Deluxe
AG
Buck Compton said:

Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

Attention *****

This isn't really a hot take because I'm sure everyone on here would agree, but I'd gladly let Springer walk and trade Bregman if it meant we could sign Bauer
So now we're down a LF/DH, CF, AND a 3B, and paying out the ass for a player that plays every 5 days. We're going to lose enough offense and you want to drop Bregs, too. Who would play third?

This idea.... it is terrible.

tjack16
AG
Are we discussing losing Springer and Bregman in order to sign Bauer? I'd lead the riot
Buck Compton
AG
Deluxe said:

Buck Compton said:

Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

Attention *****

This isn't really a hot take because I'm sure everyone on here would agree, but I'd gladly let Springer walk and trade Bregman if it meant we could sign Bauer
So now we're down a LF/DH, CF, AND a 3B, and paying out the ass for a player that plays every 5 days. We're going to lose enough offense and you want to drop Bregs, too. Who would play third?

This idea.... it is terrible.

Sorry, should've seen it with the "I'm sure you'd all agree" part. There have been some terrible ideas thrown around, so I figured it was just another.

Now, if they could make the locker room work, I'd let Springer walk for Bauer from a GM perspective. But as a fan, Springer is my favorite so I'd hate it... Offseasons like this are why GMs get paid what they do. Going to mean a lot of antacids for Click.
n_touch

Stolen from the Twitter comments
tjack16
AG
n_touch said:

Stolen from the Twitter comments

07ag
AG
https://ts.la/eric59704
Ag_07
AG
Bauer would be so legit in an Astro uni.

For one him with our analytics and Strom would be beautiful. Then throw in him embracing the heel role and teaming up with Bregman and Carlos to talk mad shlt to anyone and everyone.

Sign me the F up!!!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Pahdz said:

Random, but one of the biggest WTF moments was Bill Spiers getting jumped by those fans

Trying to recall good brawls. I want to say when Scott Servais was with the Rockies he started one with Bagwell in Enron Field's first year. I was at that game but details are foggy.

Scott Servais got into a fight with Bagwell and Biggio while he was on the team. IIRC it was over batting cage etiquette. Servais jumped the queue as a rookie. He was supposed to take his swings in the first group and he tried to push his way into the last group with the vets. He got set straight.
In 1992, I got to throw out of first pitch before game after winning a sportswriting contest as a high school senior. As I was walking out to the mound, Scott Servais (my catcher) yelled "HURRY UP!"

Dick.
Farmer1906
AG
jkag89
Winning Game 163 over the effin' Dodgers to finally clinch the 1980 NL West.
ChAg1799
AG
W said:

MaxPower said:

W said:

Brantley might accept the Q.O. ---- that's a 15% raise from his 2020 salary
He might but I think it's reasonably likely he is offered 2 years, $30 million. That's a lower average salary but at his age he has to take the multi year deal.

Regardless I agree $19 million isn't a bad deal for Brantley in isolation. I just fear Click's comments means they are going cheap this offseason.
yes, the 'stros might not offer the Q.O....because they're afraid he would take it.

don't know if Brantley is more interested in 'years' or 'dollars per year' or 'total dollars' in his next contract.

for a 10-year vet, his career earnings are not that overwhelming. Especially since he made about $6 MM in 2020 due to the COVID. He's only played 2 seasons (2018 & 2020) where he made over $10 MM

He is worth that for a year, maybe 2. He consistently hits .300+, his in the playoffs... is a great team mate....
Pay the man his money
AggieLit
Didn't we have a 22 inning game back in like 1968? Along with another one later that someone mentioned.

I agree that all the walkoffs are special, with Bregman Game 5 WS and Altuve Game 6 ALCS being the most special. But what are some of the great in-game moments?

Springer Dinger Game 7 WS
Bregman Grand Slam vs. Nationals
Marwin 9th inning homer Game 2 WS
Bregman throwing out guy at home in Game 5
Late inning double play in 2005 NLCS by backup 2B and shortstop... someone help me out... Adam Everett and?
spadilly
S
AggieLit said:

Late inning double play in 2005 NLCS by backup 2B and shortstop... someone help me out... Adam Everett and?

Bruntlett! Amazing play. Good addition. That was something special.

Edit: found it!
Beat40
spadilly said:

AggieLit said:

I have this play ingrained in my mind. I love this play.

In baseball, the two most exciting ways to end a game in my opinion are 1) walk off homer and 2) game ending double play.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Farmer1906 said:

He was really good but lets tap the breaks on it being a full year. Even with 13 playoff games it was less than half a season.
3B Paul 97
AG
Eusebio's hitting streak? Is that on the list?
JABQ04
AG
Beat40 said:

spadilly said:

AggieLit said:

In baseball, the two most exciting ways to end a game in my opinion are 1) walk off homer and 2) game ending double play.

I'm partial to an infield pop up where the 1B misplays it and the run scores from 2nd in a ball no further than 12 feet from the plate.
07ag
AG
JABQ04 said:

Beat40 said:

spadilly said:

AggieLit said:

I'm partial to an infield pop up where the 1B misplays it and the run scores from 2nd in a ball no further than 12 feet from the plate.
or when our star 3rd baseman swings as hard as he can and hits the ball 8 feet, and the runner scores from second

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/07/alex-bregman-astros-houston-walk-off-video-grounder-error-win-strange-mlb
tjack16
AG
Beat40 said:

spadilly said:

AggieLit said:

I know I'm in the minority here ... but I loved the brick red jerseys
Mathguy64
AG
Or when the star 3B hits it 6 inches and the catcher goes full on stupid, throws it away and we walk off
bluefire579
AG
I didn't hate them, but I think what we have now is leaps and bounds above it
agproducer
AG
What about Marisnick running over Lucroy at the plate? That was memorable.

7/7/2019
tjack16
AG
bluefire579 said:

I didn't hate them, but I think what we have now is leaps and bounds above it

Oh for sure the navy and orange is so much better. I just don't get the hate that the 2000-2012 unis got
PSully97
AG
Strom back in 2021

Outstanding article. Great stuff about Correa & Dusty:

https://www.fox26houston.com/sports/astros-pitching-coach-brent-strom-opens-up-about-returning-in-2021-why-correa-and-baker-are-so-special?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1OASMHB3MuZQ18hHUa5M9S-m1I6nWpUm2BhH0IfsPDEh-Ah1ERZs_9IrE
Teddy Perkins
AG
I was going to quote some of the highlights but the whole article is a highlight. Everyone needs to read this.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If you're nominating something, please do me a solid and put the year that game was played. Edit your posts if you can.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
tjack16 said:

Beat40 said:

spadilly said:

AggieLit said:

I know I'm in the minority here ... but I loved the brick red jerseys
I was at this game. The only LCS game I've ever been to. Love the defense, but the point must be made that John Mabry is the slowest runner in baseball history. I still can't believe he couldn't beat that out.
07ag
AG
spadilly said:

AggieLit said:

first lcs game I was at!

was thinking about it, and, weird flex i know,, but every time the astros have gone to the world series, i have been in attendance at the last home game they won that season, 2005nlcs game 4, 2017 ws game 5, 2019 alcs game 6
Teddy Perkins
AG
Pahdz
it's a damn crime Everett never won a gold glove
Harry Dunne
Pahdz said:

it's a damn crime Everett never won a gold glove
Most definitely - his 4.1 dWAR in 2006 is the 15th best...EVER. For any player at any position.

Single-Season Leaders & Records for Defensive WAR

He would win one in today's game, but unfortunately he played in the tail end of the era where the gold glove was still very much of a "best hitter that can also field" contest. In fairness, Omar Vizquel who was pretty slick himself won it during AE's best seasons (05 and 06) but at that point Vizquel was almost 40 & Everett was easily the better glove man.
tjack16
AG

Interesting video. Made in may 2017 so before the WS run
AggieLit
tjack16 said:

Interesting video. Made in may 2017 so before the WS run

This video makes me think... the pinstripes were ugly. The train is dinky. And Bill Worrelll... what a recognizable voice.
Pahdz
Watching that, just forget the tournament Muck...that Burke homer is it. I remember exactly where I was, in a hotel alone in OKC for work and I guarantee I screamed loud enough to make the whole floor of the Crowne Plaza on NW Expressway wonder WTF.

The fact it was the damn Braves, who broke my heart all those years I was in HS. It just felt like a gigantic weight lifted off the franchise.
First Page Last Page
Page 13 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.