Joe Morgan

2,223 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Hey Nav
dshedd41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Gig’em Aggies!
TXAggie2011
AG
Geeze. Its not a good time to be a baseball legend.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
a great two-time Astro. Man that sucks.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
agsalaska
AG
I don't remember him as a player but I must have heard him call 300 games on ESPN. Too bad. 77 isnt young, but sueendly it doesnt sound that old.
dabo man
AG
I don't remember his first stint as an Astro, but I sure remember his second.

That's a crazy number of HOFers to die in such a short time.
The Milkman
AG
He and Jon Miller's voices on Sunday Night Baseball will never be topped for me.
Hey Nav
AG
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2020/10/12/cincinnati-reds-hall-famer-joe-morgan-dies-77/5966790002/

Quote:

"Joe wasn't just the best second baseman in baseball history, he was the best player I ever saw and one of the best people I've ever known," Johnny Bench said. "He was a dedicated father and husband and a day won't go by that I won't think about his wisdom and friendship. He left the world a better, fairer, and more equal place than he found it, and inspired millions along the way."
Wow. So many of the greats passing in 2020. He was one of my all time favorites. In my youth, I usually played 2nd base, and wanted to be like Joe. I liked the way he flapped that arm when he was at the plate. It helped me with my stance.

RIP.

W
AG
very sad news.

another national league all-star from the 60's / 70's passes
EllisCoAg
AG
My number one favorite baseball player From my youth
As said above I spent a lot of time flapping my arm in the batters box
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
I was a freshman in high school when Harry Walker traded Joe to the Reds, claiming that Morgan was a troublemaker. That trade ranks up there amongst the most boneheaded trades of all time.

I hate 2020.
Bonfired
AG
Remember him saying that while he became a champion in Cincinnati, he learned the game in Houston...Jon and Joe on Sunday Night Baseball was a great combo.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

https://www.mlb.com/news/the-joe-morgan-trade/c-37643594
Hamburger Dan
One of my favorite players of all time. I'm old enough to remember playing for Astros. Great player from a generation of great players.
CT75
AG
As a Little Leaguer in the early 60s, saw him hit for the cycle in old Colt 45s Park. He might have been a rookie that year. RIP Joe.
W
AG
Morgan had an incredible career. Especially those mid-70's season with the Reds.

he hit in one of the all-time batting order sweet spots in those years.

Pete Rose and Griffey Sr. in front of him...and Johnny Bench and Tony Perez behind him.

yet despite that...he still drew 132 walks in 1975 and 114 walks in 1976.

the pitchers still did not want to face him
W
AG
one surprising thing about his career...

his career OPS in the cavernous Astrodome was .815

his career OPS in hitter's paradise Riverfront Stadium was .878

I would have expected a bigger delta than 63 points
bmc13
AG
The Milkman said:

He and Jon Miller's voices on Sunday Night Baseball will never be topped for me.

this. such a good part of watching baseball to me.
94chem
Joe was good at pointing at subtleties in the game. I'll never forget one night when he saw the pitcher nod twice before delivering, and pointed out that a fastball was coming. He was of course correct, because a pitcher never nods for location on a breaking pitch. With all the video out there today, I imagine both sides must work really hard to look for tells and tips. Joe, of course, was completely old school. My first wood bat was a Joe Morgan model.
Sid Farkas
AG
Quote:

Joe was good at pointing at subtleties in the game.
srsly, i learned about baseball when listening to Morgan
Strategy
AG
The Milkman said:

Agreed
birdman
My favorite player to watch. He always played hard and made the smart play. Morgan could do it all. Hit for average and power. Incredible base runner. And a great defensive player too.

And he was the most clutch hitter on the Big Red Machine.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

Pete Rose and Griffey Sr. in front of him...and Johnny Bench and Tony Perez behind him.
George Foster was in that lineup, too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.