Bob Gibson has passed

1,749 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jenn96
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-hall-of-famer-bob-gibson-dies-at-84-after-bout-with-cancer/article_90a0dff7-bee3-5a81-9eb0-91663f29fb4d.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_St._Louis_Post-Dispatch&fbclid=IwAR27eF_4XGAxeazSOWJJytomH5FGznaRJGSpy9jMazhVhLpX4Igb7LbP_UM

BCSWguru
2020 sucks
mullokmotx
AG
Follows the passing of Lou Brock about a month ago. Gibson certainly one of the best competitors. Was scary to watch in his prime.
The Milkman
AG
Insane stat I saw of his today. He has more complete games than wins.
Hey Nav
AG
Blessed to have seen him pitch.

Read that he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last year. He was 84. He had a good run in this life.

RIP.
birdman
Played a season for the Harlem Globetrotters. Awesome pitcher. Most intimidating guy on the mound ever.
dabo man
AG
Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Gibson dies at 84
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/10/2/21499728/hall-of-fame-pitcher-bob-gibson-dies-at-age-84-cardinals
Quote:

"Don't dig in against Bob Gibson; he'll knock you down," (Hank) Aaron said, according to the Boston Globe. "He'd knock down his own grandmother if she dared to challenge him. Don't stare at him, don't smile at him, don't talk to him. He doesn't like it. If you happen to hit a home run, don't run too slow, don't run too fast. If you happen to want to celebrate, get in the tunnel first. And if he hits you, don't charge the mound, because he's a Gold Glove boxer."
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

Willie Mays versus Bob Gibson (.196/.315/.304, 3 HR in 92 ABs)
With his fastball/slider combo, you might expect that Gibson was tough on right-handed batters and you'd be correct: right-handers hit .204 against him, left-handers .257. Basically, he owned Mays, who struck out 30 times in 108 plate appearances and had just four extra-base hits. In James Hirsch's biography of Mays he tells the story of Gibson once visiting Mays' home wearing glasses. Gibson didn't wear them when he pitched. "You wear glasses? Man, you're going to kill somebody one of those days," Mays said. Hirsch writes that later in his career Mays started conveniently scheduling off days against hard-throwers like Gibson and Tom Seaver, and that he always preferred off-speed pitches to fastballs.

Hank Aaron versus Bob Gibson (.215/.278/.423, 8 HR in 163 ABs)
Aaron had a little more success than Mays. So who did hit well against Gibson? Billy Williams hit .259 but with 10 home runs in 174 at-bats and 24 walks against 14 strikeouts. Richie Hebner had a 1.127 OPS against Gibson in 74 PAs, batting .387. Darrell Evans, facing mostly the late-career Gibson, never struck out against him in 35 PAs, drawing 11 walks and and hitting three home runs.

https://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/24786/best-batter-pitcher-matchups-of-all-time

What a great era for baseball.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
JABQ04
AG
Mr.Ackar07
Kaline, Seaver, Brock, and Gibson. That is a lot of talent gone in less than a year.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Damn. Gibson was the reason they lowered the mound from 15" to 10" after the 1968 season. 1.12 ERA in '68.

He also could hit a little: For his career, he batted .206 (274 for 1,328) with 44 doubles, 5 triples, 24 home runs (plus two more in the World Series), and 144 RBIs, stealing 13 bases and walking 63 times.

McInnis
AG
He took a line drive off the shin from Roberto Clemente (also RIP) which broke his tibula. And then pitched to three more batters.

https://thisdayinbaseball.com/st-louis-cardinals-ace-bob-gibson-suffers-a-broken-leg/

I read when he was a pitching coach some rookie stood in to take BP from him. Gibson said "you're next Bill", or whatever the guy's name was. The rookie corrected Gibson, saying "my name is William". Gibson plunked him in the ribs with the next pitch.
JABQ04
AG
These quotes are great.

https://mopupduty.com/bob-gibson-stories-and-anecdotes-040714/
Billy Baroo
AG
My dad took me up to Cooperstown as a kid for the Nolan Ryan induction and we did a lot of autograph sessions with some of the old timers. I will always remember how engaging and friendly Bob Gibson was with every kid. I still remember meeting and joking around with him to this day, over 20 years later. RIP.

On the other hand, I will always remember two players that were just there to collect a check and wanted nothing to do with any kids... Rollie Fingers (saw him on the street and asked him to sign a piece of paper and he flat out told me no, that he gets paid for his autograph) and Willie Mays. Willie didn't say a word to anyone or even look up the entire time he was signing. Will forever dislike that guy. Guess it makes sense that he's so close with Barry Bonds, another notorious a-hole.
Mr.Ackar07
Word is Whitey Ford has now passed as well.
Mr.Ackar07
Quincey P. Morris
AG
2020 just keeps getting more and more annoying.
BCSWguru
saw Whitey pitch in an old timers game in Arlington back in the 80s. Maybe 1985ish... think hes the only one I remember from that game.
jenn96
AG
All Star team of players who have died in 2020:

c - Hal Smith
1b - Bob Watson
2b - Joe Morgan
3b - Tony Taylor
ss - Tony Fernandez
lf - Lou Brock
cf - Jimmy Wynn
rf - Al Kaline

sp - Tom Seaver
sp - Bob Gibson
sp - Whitey Ford
sp - Johnny Antonelli
sp - Mike McCormick
rp - Ron Perranoski

Mgr. - Jim Frey
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.