BaseballReference.com oddities

10,316 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Found it.

The only players in the history of MLB with more All Star games appearances than Bill Freehan who are not in the HOF are Mark McGuire, A-Rod, Bonds, and Pete Rose.

And Freehan was a catcher!!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Right, but are All-Star appearances really something you think about when you consider how great a player is? His numbers are really pedestrian year to year.
agsalaska
AG
Cather is a different position.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
agsalaska said:

Cather is a different position.
You're still on this?
Are you Bill Freehan?
agsalaska
AG
OK. In honor of this fantastic night of Iowa's cornfield baseball, this was Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Shoeless Joe

First, I had no idea he was 32 when he played his last game. I have always imagined him to be like 25 or 26. He played over 1300 games over 13 years.

He also played for three different teams which I also did not realize. Though he never played in the NL. A's Indians and White Sox.

A career batting average of .356 is absolutely phenomenal no matter what era. He was also a great power hitter for his era, hitting 54 dead ball homeruns and 168 triples. that 168 number is 26th all time, one behind Rogers Hornsby who played 900 more games.

I am not really good with WAR, but 62.2 over 1300 games sounds really good.

Edit to add the S to the man from Fort Worth with two first names

Also the first of the eight to die.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Joe Jackson's rookie year he hit .408 and lost the batting title by 12 points to Ty Cobb.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.