Tom Seaver

1,580 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Hey Nav
dshedd41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Corporal Punishment
AG
RIP

guy had a helluva fastball
75AG
AG
RIP Tom Terrific. You were great
W
AG
very sad news.

his 15-season stretch from 1967 to 1981 was remarkable.

just consistent excellence year after year after year
Hey Nav
AG
One of my favorites ever.

RIP and Semper Fi.
Big Bucks
AG
RIP to a good man. I remember in Nolan's HOF speech he thanked Seaver for showing him how to approach the game, preparation and the right work ethic.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
One of the all time greats. The '69 Mets were something to behold. Broke my childhood heart when they beat the Orioles.

Also, this is an almost unbelievable stat -

Hey Nav
AG
Trying to wrap my head around those stats.

Quote:

The '69 Mets were something to behold.
As luck would have it, I was a baseball playing little-leaguer living at McGuire AFB, NJ, in 68-69 and got to ride up on USAF buses for a few games in '69. I do not recall seeing Seaver pitch, but the coolness of being at Shea was great. Even up in the cheap seats, the sight lines were very good.

I wish I could google the exact game there, a game between the Mets and Giants, but I did see Willie Mays hit a HR and Willie McCovey launch 2 HRs into outer space. What a swing that man had.

I know we moved in August, so I was not there for the late season heroics, but I can at least say I saw the '69 Mets at Shea a few times.

And this was the summer I sat in front of the TV and watched the exploits of Apollo 11.

During that time frame (68-69), I got to go to Yankee Stadium, too. I remember being basically surrounded by AF Airmen on the walk to the stadium - I understand that was a pretty dangerous neighborhood back then, especially at night. I can still recall walking down to my seat at Yankee Stadium and seeing it open up to the green grass. I was in awe. I even saw Mickey Mantle out on the field - I think '68 was his last year. And what a dump Yankee Stadium was in 1968.

Speaking of dumps, I also got to go to a few games at old Connie Mack Stadium in Philadelphia. To call Connie Mack a dump is an insult to dumps. It was a third world ghetto experience, but still fun for a 10 year old. This was the summer of the King and Kennedy assassinations, and I remember being on the blue AF bus near the stadium and all of a sudden, getting pelted with rocks. Some AF guy had me on the floor and was covering me from glass shards. Fun times.

I remember seeing Roger Maris out in right field when Philly was playing the visiting Cardinals. This was the St Louis team that lost in 7 games in the WS. This was a St Louis team with Bob Gibson, Steve Carlton, Tim McCarver, Orlando Cepeda, Curt Flood, and Lou Brock.

Anyways, I know I did see Seaver in person pitch when he was with the Reds. Seaver and Bench. Very cool.

Bret Baier just ran a piece on Fox News on Tom. A quote from Seaver - "There is first place, and no place."

RIP.

(I know I'm rambling, but just remembering some good times.)

ChipFTAC01
AG
All boxscores are in baseball reference.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SFG/1969-schedule-scores.shtml

I couldn't find that game in 68 or 69 but I'm on my phone and it's a pain to look.
W
AG
I got to see Tom Seaver and J.R. Richard square off in the Astrodome late in September in the 1979 division race.

the Astros won in 13 innings on Bruce Bochy's walkoff single. Pulled the Astros to within 1 1/2 games of the Reds with 10 games to go in the season. At the time it was the biggest series in franchise history. The Astros won again on Saturday, but the Reds won on Sunday and held onto the division.

Seaver went 9 innings and J.R. went 11 innings striking out 15 Reds. Johnny Bench gunned down 3 would-be basestealers.

those were the days

Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Baseball was better back then.

In '69 the Cubs started 35-15, but the Mets finished 37-11 to clinch the division. A bunch of banjo hitters turned into Goliaths against the Orioles. The Orioles were loaded with talent, Paul Blair, Boog Powell, Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Elrod Hendricks, Belanger, Palmer, McNally, Cuellar. They won 109 games.

The Orioles won the first game of the series then got swept in the next four. The shoe polish incident that made the Astros cheating look like child's play. Tommy Agee and Ron Swoboda with miracle catch after miracle catch. In every Met win, the starting first baseman homered. The Mets pitching completely shut down Baltimore's hitters.

My 12 year old self was inconsolable for days after the series was over.
Hey Nav
AG
Great website. Thank you for the link.

Quote:

I couldn't find that game in 68 or 69 but I'm on my phone and it's a pain to look.
I could not find it either - I can only surmise my 10 or 11 year old brain memory is to blame. I did not mean to embellish.

I did see a game in August '68 (from the link) where Mays hit one out. It lines up with my timeframe. Also, there was a weekend stretch - May 30,31, and June 1 of '69 at Shea- where McCovey hit a HR in each game. 3 games, 3 HRs.

Also, at an Aug 21 game there, Bobby Bonds hit 2 HRs.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I very intentionally did not call you a liar because childhood memories are fickle and funny things. I have a very strong memory of Griffey hitting a HR at Arlington stadium in probably 89 that was about 6' from me but in all reality it was probably two sections over.
Hey Nav
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.