Padres are all in

2,981 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Proposition Joe
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got Jason Castro from Angels. Picked up Mitch Moreland to DH for them. As if they need more power.

Also picked up Trevor Rosenthal to shore up their bullpen.

And they supposedly are still in the mix for Lance Lynn.
Mike Elko
AG
And now, Mike Clevinger. In a shortened season, might as well. Props to their aggressiveness.
MAROON
AG
a title this year is meaningless....unless the Astros win it
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
MAROON
AG
dp
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
agsalaska
AG
Love the Padres. I watched them dismantle the Rockies last night. I will watch them every time they are on.
South Platte
Count me in as pro-Padres. After they grand slammed my boys out of the universe, they seem like a fun team to watch. They are certainly ahead of schedule.

Maybe for the playoffs they will go back to the pinstripe uni's they had in the mid to late 90's.
Punked Shank
AG
Another Slam Diego outing for the Padres.

7 this season.

Next closest is 3.
agsalaska
AG
Watched the 1-0 game the other night when Hosmer broke his finger on the bunt. That was a really strange play that I cannot remember seeing before. He tried to get out of the way but didn't pull his bat back. hit his finger and the bat at the same time. That's strike three. Padres didn't argue it.

Great game and they are dangerous as hell. Them and the Dodgers are must watch TV right now. They play a series next week.
alvtimes
AJ Preller hired from Rangers..... on the upward trajectory...... JD meanwhile?????????
Farmer1906
AG
Looks like it paid off. Congrats to the... *checks notes* wild card round winner.

BCSWguru
i was in that area after a game a few years ago. I bet its wild after a meaningful game.
W
AG
ah, the hazard of going all-in
Beat40
W said:

I don't think it was much of a hazard at all though. Most of those moves are still under control for next year. I think they were smart moves that gave themselves a chance to make some noise in a shortened season while also adding depth to next year and the year after.

If it wasn't for their starting rotation injuries, they probably would have given the Dodgers some more competitive games.
ORAggieFan
W said:

Tt JJ eh really didn't sacrifice anything. Lots of excitement here in SD. The Padres are my adopted NL team living here now and excited to have my kids rooting for them. Many of us are already buying tickets for next season.
Harry Dunne
ORAggieFan said:

W said:

Tt JJ eh really didn't sacrifice anything. Lots of excitement here in SD. The Padres are my adopted NL team living here now and excited to have my kids rooting for them. Many of us are already buying tickets for next season.
100%.

Pads have an excited, ticket & merch-buying fan base for the first time since the 90s. That alone was worth all the moves.

It's also a nice cautionary tale to all of the free agents who think it's set on stone that they are either going to Boston to compete for pennants or to SD as no-playoff money grab.
BMX Bandit
Sounds hazardous
Proposition Joe
The problem is the Padres are paying Machado and Hosmer $55m a year for a year of no fans, and likely a year of reduced capacity.

At the end of the day(year), it was still a team that got swept in the division series (outscored 23-9) and extrapolated out to a full season would have finished 16 games back in the division.

With a $160m payroll, they'd better hope we are at full capacity next season.
BMX Bandit
Prettt sure they didn't pay them $55mm this year
Proposition Joe
BMX Bandit said:

Prettt sure they didn't pay them $55mm this year

This year was reduced payroll, but they are still under contract the next handful of years at $55 just for those two.

And $0 in ticket revenue this year, and the "increased fan interest" for ticket sales next year is still not going to make up for the likely capacity reduction at the start of the year (if not longer).

It just is not a good time for teams to have high $$ payrolls. Maybe San Diego ownership can float it until things are back to normal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.