Pitching Mound Height?

2,046 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 96ags
Quito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had first kid pitch game for my 8 year old last night. Did great, but mound was very tall.

I went back today to measure and it was 12". Seems excessive considering mlb is 10". Ruler is set at 10" in pics below.

I looked up LLWS and the mound is at 6 inches.

Should I bring this up as an issue?

03_Aggie
Are you going to also bring up the fact that it's an all dirt infield?

If both teams are pitching off of the same mound then roll with it.
McGibblets
AG
I'd just be glad that there's not holes for him to twist his ankle in. Mound height seems like a weird thing to be concerned about considering it's first year of kid pitch
Quito
AG
https://www.drivelinebaseball.com/2017/08/comparing-flat-ground-mound-elbow-torques/

Studies are now showing that the deceleration from throwing off a mound is a significant stressor on elbows.

I'm not overly concerned about that as much as it just seems unnatural.
redline248
AG
I would at least ask about it without making it a big deal
alvtimes
alvtimes
not unless you plan on fixing it
Mathguy64
AG
Is that an artificial mound they plopped on a softball field?
WES2006AG
AG
I would wait until your son is pitching in a game and then make a really big deal about it. Charge an umpire maybe throw some equipment around. Grand gestures are most likely to get results with something like this.
Quito
AG
Mathguy64 said:

It's Overland Park, KS and it is an artificial mound. Are all the 8/9 year old fields in Texas grass with first mounds? Changed a lot since I was a kid growing up in DeSoto in the 80's.
Quito
AG
alvtimes said:

My wife was just appointed one of seven commissioners for Blue Valley Recreation. They run all the leagues here.
alvtimes
get ready to measure every mound til your kid quits playing...... they are all different!
Quito
AG
alvtimes said:

get ready to measure every mound til your kid quits playing...... they are all different!

I get that, but is 12" rare? Seems very high...especially for 8 year olds.
alvtimes
probably high.... but wait til high school
Quito
AG
alvtimes said:

probably high.... but wait til high school

Wait till high school for what?

Will the mounds all be 12"? Are you saying to wait till high school to worry about height of mound.
alvtimes
no...... high schools are all over the map..... visiting teams bullpen mound will be nothing like field mound etc.....
Aggie
AG
HS the minimum is 10"... but it's not really enforced. Will range from about 6"-12"
Most smaller schools have small mounds.

And yeah the visiting bullpen mound will rarely match the game mound height.

Seen plenty of college fields with 12" height.
KatyAg88
It looks like a nice mound compared to some I have seen.The height is fine as long there is no sudden drop loff like a cliff. If your player continues playing baseball and tournaments, you will come across an array of mound sizes, shapes and heights. It depends on the location. Some fields / mounds managed by rec leagues just suck. We have played on several that I thought for sure our pitchers would break an ankle on pick off throws.
TXAggie2011
AG
I think that's too high, especially at that age. You'd have to judge if, when, and how its appropriate to bring up, but maybe you'll have the opportunity.

Usually, at that age, you'd see something more in the 6 inch range.

If its artificial, it might be pretty hard or impossible to get changed?
redline248
AG
Quito said:

alvtimes said:

My wife was just appointed one of seven commissioners for Blue Valley Recreation. They run all the leagues here.
Seems like it would be easy for her to make an inquiry?
Quito
AG
redline248 said:

Quito said:

alvtimes said:

Seems like it would be easy for her to make an inquiry?
It is, but she was just appointed and trying to figure out if this is a reasonable issue.
Harry Dunne
Quito said:

https://www.drivelinebaseball.com/2017/08/comparing-flat-ground-mound-elbow-torques/

Studies are now showing that the deceleration from throwing off a mound is a significant stressor on elbows.

I'm not overly concerned about that as much as it just seems unnatural.
Hopefully 8 year-olds aren't throwing enough pitches that a slight stress like this is going to affect them.
agdaddy04
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Pretty much all infields up here in Colorado are all dirt as well.
96ags
AG
If I'm not mistaken the height is to be measured from home plate. Did you laser shoot the field to make sure there wasn't a slope?

Relax, it's LL baseball. It doesn't matter.

If your kid is lucky enough to keep pitching, every mound from this point forward will be slightly different.
sburg2007
What 96ags said. The height you measure off the surface surrounding the mound means absolutely nothing. The pitching rubber and table top are supposed to be 10" higher than home plate. Also, if you think any collegiate mounds are 10", you have zero idea.
Quito
AG
It's not the height for 14 and up I'm concerned about.

Concern is this appropriate for a 9 year old or even any 12U players?
96ags
AG
Quito said:

Again, there are a lot of factors you have not addressed.

It is almost as though you have already made up your mind, and are looking for confirmation of you opinion.

My opinion is, don't be that guy. It just isn't that big of a deal.
Quito
AG
96ags said:

Quito said:

It is almost as though you have already made up your mind, and are looking for confirmation of you opinion.

If I've made up my mind, why would I ask a message board in Texas about a mound in Overland Park, KS?

Simply asking if a mound this size is appropriate fir younger kids. I consider Texas more advanced on youth baseball front and getting opinions and thoughts of those I feel have more knowledge. Also seeing what is done there.

96ags
AG
Quito said:

96ags said:

Quito said:

If I've made up my mind, why would I ask a message board in Texas about a mound in Overland Park, KS?

Simply asking if a mound this size is appropriate fir younger kids. I consider Texas more advanced on youth baseball front and getting opinions and thoughts of those I feel have more knowledge. Also seeing what is done there.

Fair enough.

In Texas, if you went to a dozen 10u games you would probably see 6-8 mounds very similar. You would see some dirt mounds that are practically non-existent and you would see just about everything in between.

Portable mounds are far from ideal. Actually, they pretty much suck. But the do allow for flexibility in field usage so I can understand why they get used.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.