Thom Brennamann

5,025 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
mike_ags_fan12
How long do you want to ignore this user?

He gone!
mike_ags_fan12
And his apology was trash
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Not just his Reds career, I'm guessing he's done in the NFL too. What a moron.
MaxPower
Well.....what city was he referencing?
redline248
AG
MaxPower said:

They are in Kansas City

so likely a Blazing Saddles reference
mike_ags_fan12
Laugh/cry

Holy crap. I just YouTubed that clip and can't stop laughing.
astros4545
AG
mike_ags_fan12 said:

And his apology was trash

Poor baby
JABQ04
AG
redline248 said:

MaxPower said:

They are in Kansas City

so likely a Blazing Saddles reference

v
CampingAg
AG
Yikes. And as he was apologizing a Reds player hit HR right near an avertisement that says "Judgment Free Zone."

Did he finish the game? What an awkward spot.
Bregxit
AG
CampingAg said:

Yikes. And as he was apologizing a Reds player hit HR right near an avertisement that says "Judgment Free Zone."

Did he finish the game? What an awkward spot.
Nope. Skated out after his apology. Day took over...probably permanently.
Baby Billy
AG
Oh no. He said a naughty word. Let's wash his mouth out with a bar of soap!

I sure hope the LGBTQDTJS+ community can recover from this tragedy
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Mr. White
Don't scroll through the Texags Astros thread while broadcasting. You're just asking for trouble.
Bunk Moreland
I play video games with some old hs friends from time to time. One is gay and has come out since HS though we all knew he was back then.

Another has always been around sports and is a HS coach. He still can't shake saying the word from time to time even when we're gaming with our gay friend. When it happens our gay friend obviously wishes he wouldn't say it, but usually it just gets a chuckle and a "cmon man" and we continue on as if not hing ever happened.

Of course that's what sane, rational people do. Instead we'll get woke writers telling us it's clear with the way he said the word it's something he says all the time and we need to learn more about the roots of his homophobia and do an apology tour and then maybe we'll decide if he's allowed to clean our feet in the future.
Proposition Joe
There's a big difference between you and your buddies playing a video game and a guy that is employed to broadcast to millions of listeners a year.

I mean hell, this isn't even your standard 10-year-old personal tweet that gets uncovered... This was on the job to your entire customer base.

It isn't "cancel culture" for Brennamann to be fired, it's about as easy a business decision as there is to make. In every other competitive industry it's common that if you don't produce a net benefit to your company, that you will no longer be employed. He just made an on-air comment that almost assuredly makes keeping him employed a net loss.

When your career is public facing, you better make sure your house looks in order. I despise cancel culture as much as anyone, but I'm still all about people getting fired for making bad business decisions.
Bunk Moreland
I'm not saying it's cancel culture if he gets fired. He had a hot mic on and even though he thought he was speaking privately at the time he still blurted out a word that is unacceptable to say publicly. He'll face the consequences, which he has acknowledged.

I understand that. I'm just noting how different very similar situations are handled given the setting.

And I still think no matter what the Reds do, we're going to get the over-the-top pontificating from our sports elite.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
i'd like to point that given the fact it was a Reds-Royals day game on a Wednesday, probably less than 10 people were actually watching it live.

Confucius
Bunk Moreland said:

I'm not saying it's cancel culture if he gets fired. He had a hot mic on and even though he thought he was speaking privately at the time he still blurted out a word that is unacceptable to say publicly. He'll face the consequences, which he has acknowledged.

I understand that. I'm just noting how different very similar situations are handled given the setting.

And I still think no matter what the Reds do, we're going to get the over-the-top pontificating from our sports elite.

He uttered the slur literally 3 seconds before he thought he was on the air. He'll get fired alone just for being a monumental dumbass.

Having said that, he's had a good broadcasting career and should get a second chance after some time has passed.

But own your s***. Don't say "that's not who I am" when it clearly is who you are.
EastSideAg2002
Can he speak Spanish? Would be a good match with the Mexican soccer leagues or national team.
Proposition Joe
"For $50,000 we can create multiple fictitious usernames on dozens of message boards with you discussing your affinity for cigarettes and British culture. In addition, we can create historical ebay bids on british cigarette-related memorabilia. Additionally we can quickly photoshop old facebook photos to show you wearing LGBTQ-friendly clothing."

Welcome to cancel-culture-ecommerce.
J.P. 03
AG
I've never worked as a sportscaster, so maybe there's just a level of comfort that develops over the years that led him to speak freely right before he was back on the air, but as an outsider looking in, it seems like you should treat a headset the same way people treat firearms and assume that if you're wearing it, it's "loaded" so to speak and someone can hear what you're saying.
Harry Dunne
By the looks of his spray tan and how angry his comment was, seems like maybe he's hiding a lot of latent homosexuality himself.
powerbelly
AG
J.P. 03 said:

I've never worked as a sportscaster, so maybe there's just a level of comfort that develops over the years that led him to speak freely right before he was back on the air, but as an outsider looking in, it seems like you should treat a headset the same way people treat firearms and assume that if you're wearing it, it's "loaded" so to speak and someone can hear what you're saying.
Always assume every mic is hot.
Johnsy3
AG
Unless you're a pro like Bob Uecker

expresswrittenconsent
Gotta love the guy attempting to justify this by claiming his off work video game hang out time with lifelong friends is "essentially the same" as a guy at work dropping a slur on mic he knew was going live in 2 seconds. I'm guessing if your coach buddy dropped that same slur while at work he would also be facing disciplinary action, and if somehow there was a recording leaked he would also likely face suspension and possible termination.

Also, funny no mention of the Hornets announcer suspended for a similar "mistake" the day before. I guess even the guys who still think they should be able to say the guy slur at their jobs with no consequences wont step out onto that n-word bridge.
South Platte
J.P. 03 said:

Good post, my thoughts exactly. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that one of the station engineers is LGBT, got tired of him repeatedly using derogatory terms, and purposely started the audio early to nail him.
Confucius
South Platte said:

J.P. 03 said:

Good post, my thoughts exactly. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that one of the station engineers is LGBT, got tired of him repeatedly using derogatory terms, and purposely started the audio early to nail him.

Wow...
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that one of the station engineers is LGBT, got tired of him repeatedly using derogatory terms, and purposely started the audio early to nail him.
dragmagpuff
AG
Who casually drops homophobic slurs at work in 2020? What else is this guy saying off air?
dshedd41
S
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29705200/thom-brennaman-pulled-fox-nfl-games-using-anti-gay-slur-air-reds-contest
Gig’em Aggies!
redline248
AG
Which is worse, making a gay joke about a city when you think you're off air or failing to proof read the N word when attempting to type nuggets in a basketball tweet?
TXAggie2011
AG
redline248 said:

Which is worse, making a gay joke about a city when you think you're off air or failing to proof read the N word when attempting to type nuggets in a basketball tweet?
They're both bad, but at least it seems like the Hornets guy didn't actually mean to use the n-word.
redline248
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

redline248 said:

They're both bad, but at least it seems like the Hornets guy didn't actually mean to use the n-word.
While that is true, how often does one have to type that on their phone for it to show up in auto correct?
TXAggie2011
AG
Yeah, its really strange, but I think the claim is that he just typed the wrong letters. I is next to U, and T is next to R.

If he does use the word enough that his phone is autocorrecting, then yeah, that's really damn bad.
Mathguy64
AG
I tried nuggers and that went to nuggets or muggers. I tried nigget and it went nugget. The obvious "next door" letters didn't make it for me.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.