Can Chris Woodard be fired today?

3,868 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by HartWorm93
txaggie2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What a little *****.

_lefraud_
AG
Wow. Sounds like a career minor leaguer...
MaxPower
I've played and watched baseball religiously for 35 years. Never heard of this "rule".
powerbelly
AG
So ****ing dumb. Good for Tatis.
Bones08
AG
As a Rangers fan, what a dumb, dumb take by Woodward. Tatis is exactly what the MLB needs to stay relevant, no reason to keep him down.

Even the Padres manager was supposedly "less than pleased" with Tatis. Stupid.
Proposition Joe
The Padres manager wasn't pleased with Tatis because he gave Tatis the take sign.

As for Woodwards quote, it's something that a dozen other coaches or players say every season when reporters need the stupid "unwritten rules" of baseball commented on.
themissinglink
AG
And yet, he has no problem with this...

Beat40
themissinglink said:

And yet, he has no problem with this...

Hard to keep those unwritten rules straight!
wbt5845
AG
I am sure the take sign was on. I'm sure Tatis didn't miss it - he ignored it.

Tatis is also earning $590,000 this year and is prearbitration eligible. He wants to earn bank. Given the choice to pad my stats, damn right I'm swinging.
Proposition Joe
I'd say this is viewed as 1000x more bush-league than his quote about Tatis.
Proposition Joe
But Woodward also didn't call for them to miss the pop-up for Minor, and said he didn't love the idea that they did it. That was bush-league on Minor/Trevino, not Woodward.
W
AG
the media and fans are really siding with Tatis on this.

hmmn, wonder if they would be doing likewise if one of the Astros had violated this unwritten rule...
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
you're a professional. if you can't stop the other team from scoring, I want them to light you the **** up every single time.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Best day in recent sports history: The Padres hit a grand slam off the Rangers in the first inning today.
BMX Bandit
Woodard says "unwritten rules are for thee, not for me."

What a chode
FtBendTxAg
AG
That's the attitude of a perpetual 3rd-5th place coach/team right there. Wouldn't expect anything less.
Eliminatus
AG
Video and some commentary for those who missed the game.

Commentator(Jomboy) is dead on about these rules and the barrier they build for some fans. I did not play baseball growing up. I have been a casual fan for 15+ years and a huge fan the past 5 or 6.

**** like this is why it is so hard for some to truly get into this game. There are so many ass backwards "unwritten rules" that it is infuriating sometimes. Especially when talking to someone who has been indoctrinated from a young age. I wasn't, and I will never understand some of the stupidity I see in baseball. Vehemently disagree even.

I do love this game but at times just gotta shake my head and turn the game off. This is one of those times. Baseball is awesome and also stupid as all **** some times.

BoxingAg84
Just think, if the Rangers made a comeback in the 9th they would have been asking why he struck out. This sport allows people to make numbers lie. If Tatis takes a strike or walk, his ERA is down and so is his contract money. I've seen rallies where teams have blown 5 run leads in one inning. But he's supposed to be kind to the opposition? Screw them.
coconutED
AG
You don't get a free strike just because it's 3-0, "unwritten rule" or not.
EastSideAg2002
But did he step on the chalk lines on his way back onto the field!
96ags
AG
MaxPower said:

I've played and watched baseball religiously for 35 years. Never heard of this "rule".
I'd have to say one of those sentences is completely inaccurate. I find it very hard to believe that someone who has been around the game of baseball above the coach pitch level has never at least heard of this.

To be clear, I think it is silly (as are several of the unwritten rules). A pitcher should never be in 3-0 count in a 7 run game. Either side.

I always understood this to go hand and hand with the no breaking pitches in that situation idea. Basically, let's get this game over with and move on. As a pitcher, you're expected to pound the zone and force contact. You don't need to try and show a hitter up by trying to make him look bad on a breaking ball. As a hitter, that 3-0 daddy hack (not what Tatis did btw), just isn't necessary sort of for the same reason.

I'm by no means endorsing or supporting this "rule", just trying to help some of you guys understand a little bit of what caused the dust up.
AggieEP
Big rangers fan here, played all the way through high school... this is not an unwritten rule situation. Dumbest non-story of the month.

To be honest, Tatis takes a fastball down and away and just flips it out of a park that hasn't been easy to hit Homeruns in. It's not like he loaded up and took some monster cut. It's almost like he accidentally hit it out.

Next time maybe Nicasio will make some better pitches.
Proposition Joe
Is it an "unwritten rule"? Yes. There's even a wikipedia article that references it from years ago.

Is it a stupid rule? Yes. It along with the majority of the other "unwritten rules" are stupid and make little sense in the modern game if they ever did at all.

Is it even stupider that it's generated this much discussion? Yes. This is about as prime an example of some people in the media needing some kind of "controversy" to write about, and people assuming because they are seeing articles about it that it's actually significant.

You know times are tough in the sports world when this is still being discussed.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Doubt it would have been discussed at all if Woodward didn't ***** about it after the game to the media. I think it's still being discussed because (1) it's a beyond stupid unwritten rule (if it even is one, most people have never heard of it) and (2) people are flabbergasted that Woodward is such a *****.

And #2 is causing more discussion than #1.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
W said:

the media and fans are really siding with Tatis on this.

hmmn, wonder if they would be doing likewise if one of the Astros had violated this unwritten rule...

Astros can't even follow the written rules, and they wouldn't deserve the same reaction.
03_Aggie
Proposition Joe said:

Is it an "unwritten rule"? Yes. There's even a wikipedia article that references it from years ago.

Is it a stupid rule? Yes. It along with the majority of the other "unwritten rules" are stupid and make little sense in the modern game if they ever did at all.

Is it even stupider that it's generated this much discussion? Yes. This is about as prime an example of some people in the media needing some kind of "controversy" to write about, and people assuming because they are seeing articles about it that it's actually significant.

You know times are tough in the sports world when this is still being discussed.

Sucks when that happens, doesn't it?
Proposition Joe
mavsfan4ever said:

Doubt it would have been discussed at all if Woodward didn't ***** about it after the game to the media. I think it's still being discussed because (1) it's a beyond stupid unwritten rule (if it even is one, most people have never heard of it) and (2) people are flabbergasted that Woodward is such a *****.

And #2 is causing more discussion than #1.

The media asked him what he thought about it and he gave a one line response.

I mean, it's a stupid rule and Woodward is dumb for taking offense to it... Hell I don't even like Woodward, but whooooo carreesss.
expresswrittenconsent
You've made multiple posts making it clear how little you care. Which seems a tad contradictory.
HartWorm93
AG
Unwritten rules are for losers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.