Is this the beginning of the end for MLB in 2020?

5,668 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by KT 90
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Marlins home opener canceled after 14 players have tested positive for COVID.
LawHall88
AG
My best guess is they'll quarantine the infected players and carry on. Each team has a 60 player pool, so they can replace the infected players and field a team.

Not a great development, though.
Frok
AG
It's just the Marlins, nobody will notice.
expresswrittenconsent
Opening day was the beginning of the end of the 2020 season. Duh.
Post removed:
by user
Proposition Joe
Not the begining of the end for MLB as they've planned for stuff like this (though it's certainly going to impact the quality of play).

But it's absolutely not a good sign for college football.
J. Walter Weatherman
Do any of them have symptoms?
wildmen09
AG
Supposedly they are blaming on the Atlanta airport. Why the hell are they going through an airport? Surely you can get these guys straight to an airplane?! I highly doubt thats how it happened anyways...
bdgol07
AG
It isnt the Marlins we need to worry about. It is the Yankees. They are suppose to be in the locker rooms and facilities that the Marlins just left. If they end up with some positives, shut it down and walk away. NO ONE can do that to the evil empire and get away with it!!
Bunk Moreland
Phillies have postponed their game vs the Yankees out of caution as they were the team who played the Marlins.

Need cooler heads to prevail and just plow through this with proper planning and protocols. It's Christmas morning for the freaker outer's.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I cant believe they are cancelling games with 60 player roster
Proposition Joe
Bunk Moreland said:

Phillies have postponed their game vs the Yankees out of caution as they were the team who played the Marlins.

Need cooler heads to prevail and just plow through this with proper planning and protocols. It's Christmas morning for the freaker outer's.

These are the proper protocols.

MLB just didn't think this would be happening after one series. It means even with the protocols they have in place, the season is going to be a travel and scheduling disaster even if they "plow through".
KT 90
AG
Quote:

I haven't read the details online, but this is the right move. Cancel today's game and play two tomorrow (or make it up later in the season). That gives them time to do a deep cleaning and make sure that the clubhouse that the Marlins were in is ok. If the Yankees show up and start testing positive, that'll really freak the masses out and the shutdown cries will get louder.

Bunk Moreland
I agree.

It's national freakout time in the sports media world. My point is that the actual decision makers need to just take a deep breath and asses the situation.
CampingAg
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

This. Why do we have 60-man pools if not for this exact situation? Is the 60-man solely to allow prospects to be around the facilities and get work in?
Proposition Joe
60-man rosters allow for the teams to still play while players are potentially quarantined.

There was always going to be a day or so downtime to get everyone tested.
lunchbox
DeangeloVickers said:

They aren't cancelling (yet). They are postponing.

Getting the prospects to Miami is one thing....all the coaches are holed up in Philly. Who is going to manage the game? They don't have a second coaching staff (that I know of)...
Proposition Joe
Can we leave the politics forum trolling/echo-chamber on the politics forum?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Proposition Joe said:

What about this was a troll or political?
Proposition Joe
Junkhead said:

Proposition Joe said:

What about this was a troll or political?

Calm yourself Junkhead, wasn't talking to you
TREX01
They have 30 man traveling rosters right now. You take 14 of those players and replace them with 14 others over night is a difficult thing to accomplish.
Mathguy64
AG
They better think through what they do very carefully. It's one thing to tell the Marlins "go take your next best 14 off the backups and keep playing". No one will care if they lose. It's another thing altogether to make the Yankees or Dodgers do that and have them compromise their chances of the postseason.

It's MLB. They have a 97% chance of screwing this up and later backtracking and protecting the big boys.
Spiritof02
https://fantasy.espn.com/baseball/league/join?leagueId=79497586&inviteId=812bd5a7-8f3c-4476-9dd2-14f0282545e1

For Hopeful Ags
Bonfired
AG
Not that it would have prevented this because the first series are just wrapping up. but the way MLB did their scheduling was really stupid. They had a built-in way to reduce traveling and didn't do it.

Two 5-game series against each of your division opponents.

For the interleague games, 4 games against each team. Two of them are home 4-game series, two are road 4-game series, and one gets split 2-2.

Going to have to be some DHs to make up ground for these postponements, but with expanded rosters, it's doable.
Rascal
AG
Don't know what went into the MLBPA agreement, but it doesn't sound like a strong quarantined/isolation approach was put forth here?

Obviously, with the size of basketball courts and hockey rinks, it's easier to pull off the centralized "summer camp" model that the NBA/NHL is doing, but what are the rules that the MLB players have to abide by in terms of social distancing?

AgsWin2011
AG
After watching my Rangers stellar offensive performance over the weekend, I'd be ok with calling the season now.
Trucker 96
Quote:

Not that it would have prevented this because the first series are just wrapping up. but the way MLB did their scheduling was really stupid. They had a built-in way to reduce traveling and didn't do it.

Two 5-game series against each of your division opponents.
Agree. They had a lot of options to further limit travel. And they've also left themselves little scheduling cushion to make up sections of missed games.
Kenneth_2003
AG
wildmen09 said:

Supposedly they are blaming on the Atlanta airport. Why the hell are they going through an airport? Surely you can get these guys straight to an airplane?! I highly doubt thats how it happened anyways...
Did they fly standard commercial? I really figured these guys would be using the civil aviation side and boarding via the FBO. Perhaps it's just easier to use the main terminal, but shouldn't be a big deal to taxi or tow the charter over to the FBO.
TexAg91
AG
Huh?
tjack16
AG
Apparently all of those Astros bullpen guys have arm soreness ... we shall see what that actually means
TexAg91
AG
Yeah, but from where did 9/15 come for JV? CBS listening to the comical writer?
Aggies2009
AG
TexAg91 said:

Huh?

That's a shame
WoMD
WoMD
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2020/07/28/miami-marlins-season-now-paused-mlb-and-other-teams-scrambling-to-figure-out-schedule/
DeangeloVickers
AG
How about they pull a roster from the 60 player roster they have to pull from....and if they cant they lose. Move on
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.