SIAP: Explain the DH decision to me?

1,708 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by kb2001
Rascal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What was the primary rationale for allowing this during the Covid abridged season? What is the benefit? Or just an excuse to experiment before making it full time rule in both leagues?
Ag_07
AG
It basically creates an extra job.

NL teams wouldn't normally carry a DH or can now slide a position player to DH and now have a hole to fill.

Just the MLBPA pushing for more jobs.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
And jobs later in a guys career.
wbt5845
AG
It also encourages fewer pitching changes.
Mathguy64
AG
In the short season with each group of 10 mixed AL and NL I think it was a simple decision. Same rule set every game, it gets guys on the bench playing and it keeps pitchers focused in pitching.

This was, as Thanos said, inevitable.
AustinAg2K
Extra jobs is a weak argument since they didn't increase the rosters by one. Carrying an extra DH means a pitcher losing his job.
Trucker 96
A sizeable part of each team's schedule will be IL since they are trying to minimize travel distance. So it makes sense to have them all playing (and staffing rosters) for the same rules
AgBQ-00
AG
The DH makes the game better. Simple decision.
Aggie_3
Because pitchers hitting is dumb as hell
shelbys99
Because:
1) this year is not a normal year.
2) MLB can now enforce the rule change next year.

Get used to DH baseball from here on out
wbt5845
AG
Aggie_3 said:

Yeah, when football players played both ways. it was cool to watch. But now we don't even think about it.
Matsui
AG
I hope the dh in both leagues is here to stay.
Ihatefallscounty
AG
Because its painful to watch pitchers hit.
I live in waco....therefore, I am ready to move elsewhere.
jkag89
wbt5845 said:

Aggie_3 said:

Yeah, when football players played both ways. it was cool to watch. But now we don't even think about it.
So are you in favor of a defensive squad (glove men for lack of a better term) and offensive squad (hitters) for baseball as well? I know that is not your intent but this is ultimate end if you use your football analogy to argue for the DH. I can live with the DH but it allows teams put a good hitter but a defensive liability in the lineup. That is why I prefer baseball sans the DH. IMO, every player that has more than one plate appearance in a game, unless a team bats around in an inning, should also have to play in the field.

Anyways, with the DH you miss the unexpected joy or horror when this happens (something I really miss with the 'Stros in the AL) -
diehard03
Quote:

Anyways, with the DH you miss the unexpected joy or horror when this happens (something I really miss with the 'Stros in the AL) -

I'm not sure why this touted as a benefit, when you have to accept all the rallies killed by men on base, 2 outs and the pitcher strikes out to end the side.

Before someone says "well, then the pitcher who can bunt over or get the hit will be more highly valued. get better.", baseball has already accepted the out. The value of the pitcher pitching is supreme.

Quote:

I know that is not your intent but this is ultimate end if you use your football analogy to argue for the DH.

it's not really. If we ever get to a "hitting lineup and a fielding lineup", then that will be caused by that decision, not the DH one.
Ag_07
AG
I don't particularly enjoy watching pitcher's hit but I like the strategy it introduces. The whole keep the pitcher in or pull him for more offense debate I think is intriguing.

Plus I like the thought of a difference in strategy across the two leagues.
Mathguy64
AG
Not having college pitchers hit, or MiLB pitchers hit basically means for most all starting pitchers they spend 2-3 years at a minimum not practicing hitting. Making them suddenly try at the major league level is a waste of time. If you want them to hit, take the DH away everywhere.
jkag89
Quote:

it's not really. If we ever get to a "hitting lineup and a fielding lineup", then that will be caused by that decision, not the DH one.
I understand the point wbt was trying to illustrate but if you use his example of football to its logical conclusion this is what you get. There are plenty of glove men that are not good enough hitters to play every day (or even make the Show) and the same with good hitters that are defensive liabilities, so why not have a defensive and offensive squad for baseball?
Trucker 96
mathguy86 said:

Not having college pitchers hit, or MiLB pitchers hit basically means for most all starting pitchers they spend 2-3 years at a minimum not practicing hitting. Making them suddenly try at the major league level is a waste of time. If you want them to hit, take the DH away everywhere.

I came back to point this out. The fact the developmental levels have abandoned pitchers hitting is what makes trying to hold onto the old rule pretty ridiculous at this point. And for most pitchers, it's more like 4-7 years spent not hitting
kb2001
AG
The DH is most likely going to be in both leagues within 5 years. I dug into this pretty deeply once, but it was a while ago and I don't remember the numbers exactly anymore.

When it was first enacted for the AL, pitchers on average were not terrible hitters. They weren't good hitters, but they weren't automatic outs. Once the DH was put into place, pitchers no longer hit at any level until the NL in the majors, this was when pitchers really became universally terrible hitters. The decline after that point was slow and steady to how it is now, where the goal of a pitcher when he comes up to bat is no double plays, and no injuries, maybe try and foul a couple off to run up the pitch count.

The reality is the DH is the cause of solution to pitchers being terrible hitters. The result though, is that pitchers are terrible hitters with very few exceptions. Most people want to see a permanent DH, and the NL will probably change its rule in the next 5 years for good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.