Astro Beanballs

9,473 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by South Platte
Trucker 96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The astros just beaned 5 guys in the A's series, including the same guy 3 times, while the A's beaned no one. And you are asking when other teams are going to stop beaning Astros?
CoppellAg93
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

The astros just beaned 5 guys in the A's series, including the same guy 3 times, while the A's beaned no one. And you are asking when other teams are going to stop beaning Astros?
Yes - that is what I asked about. That's what this thread is about.
Trucker 96
It seemed like a very ironic question given this weekend. Perhaps you detected the sarcasm in my question, but maybe not
tjack16
AG
Joe Kelly was a repeat offender. He's been suspended for the same thing multiple times now, and taunted the Astros after. The guys for the Astros are minor league guys.

Astros hitting coach should be suspended. Joe Kelly deserved fo be suspended. Both can be true
tjack16
AG
hedge said:

Move on when the commissioner Actually punishes them and they accept and take their punishment. Until then let the players police the game

Astros lost their GM who has been the best GM in baseball this past few years. They lost their manager. Received the highest fine possible at 5M, and lost 1st and 2nd round draft picks. Losing AJ Hinch has been huge because Dusty Baker is awful.

That's not a punishment?

If A&M lost Jimbo and our AD due to a cheating scandal, along with money and reduction of scholarships .... would you be saying "dang we didn't get punished, all good"?

Also the players reputations are stained forever. I'd rather get a suspension than have millions of people wish serious injury on me or have my entire career tainted like Altuve, Bregman, Springer and Correa going forward.
Trucker 96
To be fair, they lost their GM and manager for 1 year. They chose the permanency.
tjack16
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

To be fair, they lost their GM and manager for 1 year. They chose the permanency.

There was no way they weren't going to get fired. Any business would do the same thing if an employee or higher up was suspended for a year.
South Platte
CoppellAg93 said:

As a mostly neutral observer (and Rangers fan), I have a question for the masses ....

I completed understand that other teams are pissed about the cheating the Astros did to help get them the World Series win, and that there is some appetite for beaning their players, but how long does this go on ? At what point should these teams move on ? Even including the fact that the players weren't punished directly, how much is enough ? Is anyone intentionally beaning the Red Sox players ? The Yankees ?

No flaming here - just curious of people's thoughts.
Depends on whether Manfred continues to baby the Astros with ridiculous suspensions on opposing pitchers. If an Astro gets seriously hurt, then I'd say let's move on in 2021. But until either happens, I can see it going on for 5 years.

The actions by the Yankees and Red Sox weren't nearly as egregious as Houston. And the Yankees didn't really win anything. The Red Sox won 4 World Series in a span of 15 seasons, so they have proven the ability to win championships. They are legit. Houston only won because they cheated. Comparing them the Yankees and Red Sox isn't apples to apples.
tjack16
AG
South Platte said:

CoppellAg93 said:

As a mostly neutral observer (and Rangers fan), I have a question for the masses ....

I completed understand that other teams are pissed about the cheating the Astros did to help get them the World Series win, and that there is some appetite for beaning their players, but how long does this go on ? At what point should these teams move on ? Even including the fact that the players weren't punished directly, how much is enough ? Is anyone intentionally beaning the Red Sox players ? The Yankees ?

Depends on whether Manfred continues to baby the Astros with ridiculous suspensions on opposing pitchers. If an Astro gets seriously hurt, then I'd say let's move on in 2021. But until either happens, I can see it going on for 5 years.

The actions by the Yankees and Red Sox weren't nearly as egregious as Houston. And the Yankees didn't really win anything. The Red Sox won 4 World Series in a span of 15 seasons, so they have proven the ability to win championships. They are legit. Houston only won because they cheated. Comparing them the Yankees and Red Sox isn't apples to apples.

If the Astros had lost to the dodgers in 17 then I dont even think this is a story.
As an Astros fan, I'll say I dont think we would have beaten the dodgers without cheating. I think the series plays out the exact same except game 5. So we lose in 6 games

However .... I have zero doubts we would have AT LEAST won the pennant. The Yankees scored 3 runs in 4 games at Minute Maid Park in the ALCS, and we crushed the Red Sox in the ALDS. Especially given we know both of those teams were also doing shady stuff (Apple Watch fines in September)

The Astros were the best team in the AL in 2017 behind Cleveland all season. I'm indifferent towards the 2017 WS title now. But I still recognize the Astros as AL West and AL Champions in 17 and 19
BMX Bandit
Quote:

As an Astros fan, I'll say I dont think we would have beaten the dodgers without cheating. I think the series plays out the exact same except game 5. So we lose in 6 games

Know how I know you weren't at game 5? You couldn't hear a trash can bang if the banger was with you in the batters box.
tjack16
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Know how I know you weren't at game 5? You couldn't hear a trash can bang if the banger was with you in the batters box.

No i wasn't there. I got to go to 2 playoff games that year but the WS was just outside of my price range (I had just graduated may 17 so still college broke)
I was at Game 1 and 7 of the World series this past year. Incredible experience and you're right it's insanely loud every pitch.
agproducer
AG
tjack16 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

No i wasn't there. I got to go to 2 playoff games that year but the WS was just outside of my price range (I had just graduated may 17 so still college broke)
I was at Game 1 and 7 of the World series this past year. Incredible experience and you're right it's insanely loud every pitch.
tjack, I agree with you on a lot of things, but BMX is absolutely right. You could not hear yourself think during Game 5. It was that loud. It was the loudest stadium atmosphere I've EVER been in. That includes Aggie Football. If there was trash can banging in Game 5, it would have been pointless. There is NO WAY the players could have heard it.

Hell, I didn't have my voice for a week after that game from yelling so much.

And, I was at Game 6 this past year, and the crowd noise then was not even close to Game 5 of 17.
03_Aggie
South Platte said:

CoppellAg93 said:

So wait, cheating is ok or not ok? Or only ok for some and not others?

If the Red Sox has proven they could win, why did they turn to cheating? Or had they been cheating the whole time?
tjack16
AG
agproducer said:

tjack16 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

tjack, I agree with you on a lot of things, but BMX is absolutely right. You could not hear yourself think during Game 5. It was that loud. It was the loudest stadium atmosphere I've EVER been in. That includes Aggie Football. If there was trash can banging in Game 5, it would have been pointless. There is NO WAY the players could have heard it.

Hell, I didn't have my voice for a week after that game from yelling so much.

And, I was at Game 6 this past year, and the crowd noise then was not even close to Game 5 of 17.

I agree it would have been pretty much impossible to hear the banging ... Im just going off of what the commissioner said when he said it went on during the postseason. Whether it worked, was effective or had zero impact is something we will never know.

I also only picked game 5 as the game that might change just because it was the game with the most offense
South Platte
03_Aggie said:

South Platte said:

CoppellAg93 said:

So wait, cheating is ok or not ok? Or only ok for some and not others?

If the Red Sox has proven they could win, why did they turn to cheating? Or had they been cheating the whole time?
Cheating isn't ok. I'm just explaining to you why there is widespread hate toward Houston when there is none towards New York or Boston. You are talking about legendary franchises that are given the benefit of the doubt. Houston shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as those franchises. My Rangers would get the same hate if they had done the same. It makes sense to me. You?
BMX Bandit
There is no wise spread hate against those teams because ESPN hasn't told you that is what to think.
Ag_07
AG
So were all those other teams stealing signs too when Kershaw pitched in the playoffs throughout his career?

Guess that's how his playoff ERA got to 4.43. In 2018 and 2019 it was over 5.

Or were the Dodgers stealing signs in GM 5 too since they had lots of offense?

Of the pivotal games in that series the Stros won GM 2 on the road, GM 5 that was an epic back and forth, and GM 7 on the road. The Dodgers had every chance in the world to win that series and they didn't.
South Platte
BMX Bandit said:

There is no wise spread hate against those teams because ESPN hasn't told you that is what to think.
This needs a 2nd edit. Try one more time.
BMX Bandit
South Platte said:

BMX Bandit said:

My fat fingers don't make it any less true. Sorry you are a sucker for group think.

Being mad at Astros for cheating is understandable. Trying to rationalize why it doesn't extend to Yankees & Red Sox is pathetic.
tjack16
AG
If anybody thinks it was just the Astros doing it in 2017.... then that's a common sense issue. There have been many reports about multiple teams doing something similar in 17-18
tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

So were all those other teams stealing signs too when Kershaw pitched in the playoffs throughout his career?

Guess that's how his playoff ERA got to 4.43. In 2018 and 2019 it was over 5.

Or were the Dodgers stealing signs in GM 5 too since they had lots of offense?

Of the pivotal games in that series the Stros won GM 2 on the road, GM 5 that was an epic back and forth, and GM 7 on the road. The Dodgers had every chance in the world to win that series and they didn't.

You're probably right. Kershaw is a bad playoff choker. I'm glad the Red Sox smoked them the next year
South Platte
BMX Bandit said:

South Platte said:

BMX Bandit said:

My fat fingers don't make it any less true. Sorry you are a sucker for group think.

Being mad at Astros for cheating is understandable. Trying to rationalize why it doesn't extend to Yankees & Red Sox is pathetic.
It wasn't the typo, it was the fact that your statement was oddly worded even after an edit. Regardless, if you think anybody watches ESPN anymore you are crazy. I haven't watched SC in years, much less any of their moronic TV or radio shows.

Since my explanation was wrong, please explain why nobody else is hating on the Yankees and Red Sox for us. Edit: other than what the evidence shows they did in comparison to Houston.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.