Playoffs Expanding

2,647 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Kellso
A-A Ron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
According to MLB Network, this seasons playoffs will expand to 16 teams (8 per league). Format would be as follows:
3 division winners
3 2nd place teams
Next 2 top records.
Seeded 1 through 8, 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, etc. Division winners seeded 1,2 3.
First round best of 3, all 3 games played at stadium of higher seed.
Info still developing.
HossAg
AG
What a stupid system
AgsWin2011
AG
Wow more than half the teams will make the playoffs. Sadly, I still don't think my Rangers will make it...
AustinAg2K
Why not just let everyone in?
tjack16
AG
It's no different than the NBA playoffs or NCAA Basketball/Baseball

I think it'll be awesome this season
HossAg
AG
They'll try to make it stick for future seasons
tjack16
AG
HossAg said:

They'll try to make it stick for future seasons

I wouldnt be opposed to 6 teams and have it formatted like the NFL. 1 and 2 get a bye while 3-6 play a best of 3 series
agsalaska
AG
I dont know what yall are *****ing about. This season is going to be freaking awesome.

First league to start a season.
60 game race with only 4-5 days off for each team
Half the teams in the playoffs
Expanded rosters
No fans
Limited opponents
NL DH(booo!!)
And Toronto still doesn't have a home.

Its going to be must watch baseball every night, especially the fact that they are essentially 100 games in and are all freaking tied. I cannot wait for this to get going.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
astros4545
AG
It was going to be must watch baseball

Now the regular season has no meaning for true WA contenders
agsalaska
AG
astros4545 said:

Naaa. Thats not true. All of these games still count.

Stop looking at the negatives and look at the positives. They are all playing, this weekend, and we will have a pennant race and a world weries in the next 12 weeks. It will rock.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
HossAg
AG
astros4545 said:

This. Every game WAS gonna be intense, but now any team that's decent will be in.

I just really hope they don't make this stick. There's 162 games for a reason. If you can't get top 8 then you don't deserve to be there.
_lefraud_
AG
Kurkjian put it best during the broadcast last night... It's fine for 2020, but let's not do this for a 162 game season.
tjack16
AG
Y'all are telling me this wouldn't have been fun to watch last year?

HossAg
AG
Having to sit through a 3-0 of the rangers just to get to a real series would have been boring.

And it's the principle of it. 162 games are played for a reason. If you don't have the record to get in by then, then you don't deserve to get in.
tjack16
AG
HossAg said:

Having to sit through a 3-0 of the rangers just to get to a real series would have been boring.

And it's the principle of it. 162 games are played for a reason. If you don't have the record to get in by then, then you don't deserve to get in.

Tell that to the Indians who won 93 games last year.
agsalaska
AG
HossAg said:

Hey I 100% agree with you on a 162 game season. I think MLB has found the sweet spot with five per league. But for this season, this one off(hopefully) season, I am good with it. I am certainly not going to let it distract me from enjoying baseball every night.

Of all of the sports that I thought would have trouble getting started again it was MLB. But they have a chance to be the first to complete a season from start to finish. And I will be watching and enjoying it every step of the way.
tjack16
AG
We've been begging for baseball all year and wanting more baseball. Now they are giving us more baseball with an extra playoff round and of course now people are mad about it.
HossAg
AG
They didn't deserve it.
The Milkman
AG
I don't get how anyone could be mad about that for this year. This season exists in a bubble. Just lighten up and have fun.

Except if the Astros win. Then its totally normal.
powerbelly
AG
It would have been dumb. The Rangers had no business being a playoff team last year.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
tjholley16 said:

We've been begging for baseball all year and wanting more baseball. Now they are giving us more baseball with an extra playoff round and of course now people are mad about it.

Take the logos away from those graphics and let's focus on results only. There's no reason the top team in the sport should ever have to put it all on the line against a team that finished THIRTY games behind them.
agsalaska
AG
tjholley16 said:

Some people are just born to complain.
Txhuntr
AG
tjholley16 said:

I was personally looking forward to one or two of the big boys stumbling out of the gate, and missing the playoffs. They would be much more watchable if I didn't have to watch the yanks, dodgers, cubs, or Red Sox
W
AG
the part that doesn't make sense...

everyone knows that MLB wants a Dodgers vs. Yankees world series...and wants it badly.

this format increases (to some degree) the chances that they won't get it
agsalaska
AG
W said:

the part that doesn't make sense...

everyone knows that MLB wants a Dodgers vs. Yankees world series...and wants it badly.

this format increases (to some degree) the chances that they won't get it
Maybe everyone is wrong
option short side
AG
The Milkman said:

I don't get how anyone could be mad about that for this year. This season exists in a bubble. Just lighten up and have fun.

The Astros winning this year would be more legitimate then their last title.
Aggie_3
option short side said:

The Milkman said:

The Astros winning this year would be more legitimate then their last title.

EXACTLY
tjack16
AG
I don't know about y'all but this playoff system has been awesome so far. Only issue is the layoff this weekend with no games.
WoMD
tjack16 said:

I don't know about y'all but this playoff system has been awesome so far. Only issue is the layoff this weekend with no games.

Aside from watching the brewers get absolutely demolished by the Dodgers. It's embarrassing for them to even be in the playoffs.

Only larger differential in strength of team was watching the aggies vs Bama the following day.
Kellso
_lefraud_ said:

Kurkjian put it best during the broadcast last night... It's fine for 2020, but let's not do this for a 162 game season.
I think this format was good for this season, but going forward 16 teams is way too much.

Every sport has its quirks.

Even with the playoff...college football has the greatest regular season of any sport.

Baseball post season works better than the NBA or NHL precisely because so few teams get in.
I've always like that you pretty much have to be at least a 90 win team to make the MLB post season.

There is no reason a team with a losing record should ever be in the MLB post season.

IMO I think the current format with 5 teams is great. I love the 1 game wildcard which essentially acts as a ready made Game 7.

If MLB would like to expand the post season so that 3 games series becomes the norm then I think the best format to expand is with 6 teams.

It would similar to the NFL
Seed #1 and 2 would have bye to the Division round. This rewards a team for winning 100 plus games, and gives them an advantage over a team that makes the post season while only winning 87-90 games during the season.

There has to be some sort of advantage for winning the division, or having a superior record.

(3 vs 6) and (4 vs 5) best of 3

Division round best of 5
ALCS, NLCS Best of 7,
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.