****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,631,351 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
lunchbox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer1906 said:

Gramercy Riffs said:

Hulla Baller said:

k20dub said:

Why are they postponing some games but not others? I know about the Marlins but what is it with these other teams?

The Yankees would be using the same locker room that the Marlins just occupied.

Based on what we know about how it transfers on surfaces, I think a quick cleaning and the locker room would now fine. Maybe they're worried the philly players are positive and don't want them to spread it to NY. You'd think they'd do tests to figure that out.
They have! Results aren't back yet. This is a recurring problem with MLB testing.
amercer
AG
I think it's a problem with testing In general right now. We got it ramped you for a while then demand really exploded. The places near me that had a 48 hour turnaround last month are now back to 7-10 days. Which isn't very useful if you are trying to go to work.
Farmer1906
AG
lunchbox said:

Farmer1906 said:

Gramercy Riffs said:

Hulla Baller said:

k20dub said:

Why are they postponing some games but not others? I know about the Marlins but what is it with these other teams?

Based on what we know about how it transfers on surfaces, I think a quick cleaning and the locker room would now fine. Maybe they're worried the philly players are positive and don't want them to spread it to NY. You'd think they'd do tests to figure that out.
They have! Results aren't back yet. This is a recurring problem with MLB testing.

Busch league
Mathguy64
AG
I thought each team had its own in house testing equipment.
lunchbox
amercer said:

I think it's a problem with testing In general right now. We got it ramped you for a while then demand really exploded. The places near me that had a 48 hour turnaround last month are now back to 7-10 days. Which isn't very useful if you are trying to go to work.
The free testing is taking days. Tests you pay for are within 12-24 hours in my area. MLB chose to send all tests to a lab or two instead of trying to do them all in the local market.
lunchbox
mathguy86 said:

The smart ones started looking into that and purchasing their own once the delays in results started. Not sure if everyone did so.
07ag
AG
finally got the tv installed on the back porch,, was almost nice last night after the rain cooled things down

https://ts.la/eric59704
lunchbox
Marlins up to 17 players/coaches now that have tested positive.

Current plan is for the remaining players to go to Balt for a game tomorrow.

per Jeff Passan on ESPN right now
Farmer1906
AG
Nice set up. Might want to move the smoker before the next cook. That can't be good for your TV.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I can't fkn wait for it to come out that the Marlins were given a buncha false positives.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
07ag said:

finally got the tv installed on the back porch,, was almost nice last night after the rain cooled things down

Nice. Is that a neighborhood lake or is it a channel for a bigger body of water?
Deluxe
AG
astros4545 said:

I'd be scared AF to charge the mound against Greinke. Seems like the type of guy who would be a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and have me on the ground with my leg snapped in 10 seconds.
07ag
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Nice set up. Might want to move the smoker before the next cook. That can't be good for your TV.
i'm sure its not, lol. i move the smoker down to the steps when in use, don't need to smoke the back porch. also the tv and dart cabinet are on quick disconnect mounts, i bring them inside when not in use. they surely would be ruined in a week in houston weather
07ag
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

07ag said:

Nice. Is that a neighborhood lake or is it a channel for a bigger body of water?
neighborhood lake in missouri city, doesn't connect to any bigger body of water
lunchbox
ESPN has reported a couple of times now that no Phillies players have tested positive. I guess the results came in after a deadline to play today...sounds like the Yankees are already in the process of going back home.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Farmer1906 said:

They'll get a redsoxesque slap on the wrist if anything at all.

And someone with the twitters will have to tell me if the National writers are exploding with stories about this. I seriously doubt it. They'll just stoke the pandemic flames instead.
spadilly
S
astros4545
AG
amercer
AG
That says something kind of disturbing about the tests right?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I'm tellin ya. We are about to have a fantastic case study on false positives.
lunchbox
Here we go...

Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Gramercy Riffs said:

Hulla Baller said:

k20dub said:

Our office gets wiped down every day and treated with UV light (whatever) once a week. We had two positive cases at the same time that sent 13 others (out of 20 total) into quarantine for three weeks. All were negative and no new cases since. I've been in the office the entire time, minding my own business and following the protocols. It's not that hard... unless you have a union full of millionaires, anyway.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Wish I got to vote on things I didn't want to do at work.
CFTXAG10
AG
Do we really need Miami to finish the season? Just sub the Sugarland Skeeters
Farmer1906
AG
wangus12
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

Hulla Baller said:

k20dub said:

Make them change on the concourse. It worked in Space Jam.
wangus12
AG
lunchbox said:

mathguy86 said:

The smart ones started looking into that and purchasing their own once the delays in results started. Not sure if everyone did so.
The actual hard part is getting the reagent for running the test. Its in very low supply.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Release points. Sure

And they say using a phone isn't fast enough to get the signal to a battery real time. BS
Farmer1906
AG

This is pretty cool.
Mr.Bond
AG
Farmer1906 said:

This is pretty cool.
I wonder what percentage. Likely less than 1 percent?
Ag_07
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Release points. Sure

That camera is pointing directly at the catcher's crotch. That's not the kinda release point they were talking about.
Deluxe
AG
Obviously it's still way too early to be making conclusive determinations but I think we've seen some good/bad signs so far that are fair to comment on.

To me, the key to this year (as a fan anyway) is patience. We've got alot of young/inexperienced pitchers to integrate into our staff and time is of the essence because we're inevitably going to need some of them to perform THIS year if we're going to make a deep run. And Dusty/Click need time to assess personnel. They to have to delicately balance 'managing to win every game' with 'putting inexperienced guys in high leverage situations and see if they sink or swim'. We'll almost certainly lose a few regular season games because of that.

It was nice to have the Mariners opening weekend so we could begin making some of those determinations without too much scoreboard risk. And as lame as the 16 team playoff is, it could be helpful in that we can afford a little more trial/error without fear of missing the playoffs altogether.

Some initial personnel takes:

Hope I'm wrong but I think James is miscast as a starter. At this point, I think his proper utilization is as a "microwave"/middle inning guy out of the bullpen. He's too inconsistent for starter or high leverage bullpen work. I kinda hope we look into selling on him via trade before it's too late. I also think Devo/Biagini are who we thought they were. Serviceable middle inning guys who don't need to be near the mound with a late inning lead.

On the flip side, it was nice to see Javier, Paredes, Sneed and Taylor get off to good starts. Abreu looked a little shaky but didn't allow any runs. If we make a championship run this year, we'll need some big contributions from at least 1-2 of those guys. Looking forward to getting Urquidy back in the mix and hopefully Whitley will earn a few innings later this year.

I could be wrong about this but offensively it seems like we're looking to go the other way a bit more this year... especially against the shift. I was always fine with the Hinch/moneyball strategy in the regular season to try and hit bombs but some Dusty small ball might play better in the playoffs. Who knows.

Even though they didn't get off to the hottest starts, glad Springer, Bregman and Altuve got on the board with dingers. Didn't want a bunch of public hoopla counting the days until they hit their first HRs without "cheating".

And while things look a bit shaky right now, I still think we're gonna be strong AF come playoff time if we can get our key pieces back from injury... specifically JV, Pressly, Peacock and Smith (not to mention Urquidy and Alvarez... who I don't think are actually "hurt"). Just gotta tread water and develop guys in the meantime.

Hope we light up LA this week.
Mathguy64
AG
Jomboy

1. You banged a trash can! Strip the WS.
2. Yeah it looks like a camera in CF and live feed. Seems sketchy to me. Nothing to see but y'all keep giving me clicks for ads.
E
AG
astros4545 said:

Wait, so he's tested negative and positive 6 times? Or am I reading this wrong?
n_touch
07ag said:

How tall are you that your dart board is dang near touching the ceiling?
First Page Last Page
Page 70 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.