****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,625,988 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
TXAGcommenter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Uncle Rob has to look out for his darling Yankees
Mathguy64
AG
Game 5 tomorrow in SD. Good deal for us.
Ag_07
AG
God I'm so glad we weren't the ones who gave Cole a 9 year contract.

He's good and often times elite but no way he'll be playing up to that deal that long.
scrimp
AG
Can we talk Correa for a second? I'll admit, during the regular season I was frustrated with him on more than one occasion--seemed like he couldn't ever get a timely hit. He has turned it on during the playoffs bigtime.

20 ABs, 10 hits, 4 HR, 12 RBI, 6 BB, .500 Avg, and a 1.715 OPS!

Dude is crushing it right now.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
scrimp said:

Can we talk Correa for a second? I'll admit, during the regular season I was frustrated with him on more than one occasion--seemed like he couldn't ever get a timely hit. He has turned it on during the playoffs bigtime.

If you can only sign him or George I really don't know which one. Maybe Carlos since he's a SS and younger but damn it would suck to see springer go. Carlos has been great this year not just talking **** from people.
Beat40
GarrettL_15 said:

But even the the Yankees are only on TBS. just seems silly.
AggiEE
scrimp said:

Mentioned earlier that his plate discipline looks a LOT better....he stopped swinging at terrible pitches.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Beat40 said:

GarrettL_15 said:

Doesn't TBS have all the AL games? MLB network get NL?
AggieLit
Beat40 said:

Wait, so MLB has the Yankees on TBS and the Dodgers/Padres on MLB network this evening?

The MLB is so bad at TV stuff sometimes. The Dodger/Padres game should be prime time on a major network. Young kids should be able to watch Mookie, Bellinger, Tatis Jr, and Machado.

Just horrible from MLB.

Agreed, but I think MLB stopped caring a long time ago what young kids in middle class families were likely to be able to watch. The best situation for a team's fans was probably the Cubs, whose games were always on WGN, but that deal ended last year after 70 years.
Beat40
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Beat40 said:

GarrettL_15 said:

Yes, agreed. My point in that comment was rob isn't looking out for the Yankees because they're only on TBS.

I'm more shocked the Dodgers/Padres are on MLB Network and not on a major channel.
agproducer
AG
scrimp said:

The postseason performances the last few years of Correa, Springer and Altuve, should make them Astros for life, imo.

Correa this year has really become a leader. I loved how he stepped up in Spring Training and is backing up his words with actions.

I'm so ready for the ALCS.

Playoffs Springer, Playoffs Correa, Playoffs Bregman and Playoffs Altuve have all showed up. It's a matter of time before Yuli gets it going.

LFG!!!!
astros4545
AG
And Tucker has been saving his ****ers for next round
Nino Brown
Yeah, I actually like our chances against the yanks over the Rays
scrimp
AG
Yeah, that's a Sophie's choice. George has been at the core of this team for a while, and would be a huge loss. Correa has elite defense and seems to be stepping up as a leader. It would hurt to see either of them in any other uniform........I hope the owners/management can re-sign them both, but I don't know if the 'stros can pay them both what they want/are worth.
W
AG
Thinice said:

W said:

it will be interesting to see how much money the A's are willing to spend in the offseason.

Marcus Semien is a free agent, but had a bad year at the plate and in the field.

Fiers is a free agent...he may never pitch against the Astros.

Liam Hendriiks is an FA...and will be a big loss.

Petit & Soria are free agents too. Their bullpen is going to be broken up.

and LaStella is an FA too

A's don't really spend. This was their best shot.
yes, that's why the Astros' championship window / playoff window is going to stay open. Still the most talented team in the AL West for the foreseeable future.

(plus the emergence of Framber, Urquidy, and Javier)
W
AG
scrimp said:

Yeah, that's a Sophie's choice. George has been at the core of this team for a while, and would be a huge loss. Correa has elite defense and seems to be stepping up as a leader. It would hurt to see either of them in any other uniform........I hope the owners/management can re-sign them both, but I don't know if the 'stros can pay them both what they want/are worth.
if the plan is to let both JV and Greinke walk after the 2021 season...that does free up $60 MM in payroll starting in 2022.

maybe there's a chance for both...a slim one
Nino Brown
MosesHallRAB04 said:

scrimp said:

If you can only sign him or George I really don't know which one. Maybe Carlos since he's a SS and younger but damn it would suck to see springer go. Carlos has been great this year not just talking **** from people.
You make whatever moves are necessary to keep CC, George, Tuve and and Bregman together, period.
RAB91
What website do y'all use to track career playoff stats rankings? There's a bunch out there, but they don't seem to be updated too often. With this year's unexpected run, I'm curious where the big four line up as far as all time HRs.
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

Beat40 said:

GarrettL_15 said:

Yes, agreed. My point in that comment was rob isn't looking out for the Yankees because they're only on TBS.

I'm more shocked the Dodgers/Padres are on MLB Network and not on a major channel.

That's only due to Fox having Thursday Night Football.
iamtheglove
scrimp said:

I actually think we could sign both I Click was comfortable with the top of our rotation being Framber, Urquidy and Javier with Paredes either being the set up man or closer in 2022 and beyond. It sounds scary but these 4 plus Taylor have been really impressive to date.
Farmer1906
AG
Nino Brown said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

scrimp said:

You make whatever moves are necessary to keep CC, George, Tuve and and Bregman together, period.

No amount of "moves" will help. It's about spending more than anyone else.
iamtheglove
Nino Brown
Farmer1906 said:

Nino Brown said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

scrimp said:

Well, you gotta try! Hell, you don't need a marketing or sales department with them. Fire everyone accept the GM and PR. And I worked in corporate development in the NBA for over 6 years.
Harry Dunne
W said:

scrimp said:

if the plan is to let both JV and Greinke walk after the 2021 season...that does free up $60 MM in payroll starting in 2022.

maybe there's a chance for both...a slim one
This.

Especially with the young pitchers stepping up.

Like all of you, I am hoping we can pull off a miracle and win a ring and Crane will say eff it, we gotta keep the gang together and suck it up with the luxury tax for a year.
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Nino Brown said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

scrimp said:

This

This isn't football where you need to make moves and restructure things to get under a cap.

Just write checks
W
AG
it may be more about structuring the contracts.

a contract for George needs to be front loaded. More money in years 1 & 2...less money in years 3 & 4.

a contract for Correa needs to be back loaded. The big money kicks in after 2024...when Altuve's contract expires.

I'm sure the 'stros will keep Altuve after 2024, but (at age 35) it will be time for him to take a size-able pay cut.
scrimp
AG
Framber has some electric stuff, and has shown flashes of being a legit ace. Urquidy has been good/great in limited time this year, and looked great last year. Javier has some really impressive numbers and stepped up big when we needed arms this year, especially for a guy that probably should have been in AAA this year. If LMJ and Greinke can be solid in a (hopefully) normal year next year, that gives a solid rotation.

The real question is -- are Framber/Urquidy/Javier the same or better next year, or did they catch lightning in a bottle this year and they revert back to the mean next year.

If Click decides to go to battle with a Framber/Urquidy/Javier/LMJ/Greinke rotation in 2021, maybe that allows him to retain Springer and add a closer and keep the playoff train rolling. Verlander is the question mark for 2022 season. Doesn't seem like trying to re-sign a 38 year old JV coming off of TJ surgery would be in the Astros gameplan, so maybe that frees up more cash for Carlos.

It's possible, but the stars have to align.
Farmer1906
AG
Adding a closer is the worst money you could spend. Half the time it doesn't work. The other half it does yet your paying him an assload of money that he probably isn't worth.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Nino Brown said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

scrimp said:

That's true.

I saw in an interview last year that if we had been able to sign Cole, we would have likely non-tendered a few guys like Devo & Peacock (which in retrospect would have been good regardless)...and while that would have only taken like $6M off the books, you can make some minor moves that won't help you get under the luxury tax. but at least not exceed it by whatever amount ($40M?) that makes it extremely punitive.

I would guess we will non-tender Osuna...but yes, no amount of "moves" would take us far enough under the luxury cap to be able to sign George (even at a discount) and stay under.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Adding a closer is the worst money you could spend. Half the time it doesn't work. The other half it does yet your paying him an assload of money that he probably isn't worth.
No doubt about it. It's hard to believe that in the age of analytics some team hasn't just gone out there and gotten a bunch of good relievers but no closer and either gone either with the hot hand or matchups and just totally disregarded the save stat.

On the other hand, you do occasionally need a guy to pitch the 9th in a close game, and some guys (Pressly) are not built for it.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Man... can we can the contract stuff for a couple weeks? It's depressing.

We are in the damn ALCS!!
AggiEE
scrimp said:

Framber has some electric stuff, and has shown flashes of being a legit ace. Urquidy has been good/great in limited time this year, and looked great last year. Javier has some really impressive numbers and stepped up big when we needed arms this year, especially for a guy that probably should have been in AAA this year. If LMJ and Greinke can be solid in a (hopefully) normal year next year, that gives a solid rotation.

The real question is -- are Framber/Urquidy/Javier the same or better next year, or did they catch lightning in a bottle this year and they revert back to the mean next year.

If Click decides to go to battle with a Framber/Urquidy/Javier/LMJ/Greinke rotation in 2021, maybe that allows him to retain Springer and add a closer and keep the playoff train rolling. Verlander is the question mark for 2022 season. Doesn't seem like trying to re-sign a 38 year old JV coming off of TJ surgery would be in the Astros gameplan, so maybe that frees up more cash for Carlos.

It's possible, but the stars have to align.

Would love to see Click get Charlie Morton back for hopefully a cheapie contract. Little high risk given his age, but he's a solid veteran and would help round out our rotation.
Farmer1906
AG
Y'all rooting for Cole tomorrow or nah?
Mathguy64
AG
Not so much rooting for Cole as I would prefer the Rays to lose. I just think they are a worse matchup for us. That pitching gave us fits last year.
Ag_07
AG
Absolutely

Hope he throws 120 pitches in a winning effort
First Page Last Page
Page 674 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.