****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,625,294 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
bullard21k
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Could be kicked back watching the Yankees sweating it out and getting a little rest but nooooo. Our manager is dumb and josh James still sucks
W
AG
Boone may be coaching for his job tomorrow.

he was handed a superstar team 3 years ago and added Cole this year.

how much more talent does he need?
Ag_07
AG
He's awful.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Not knowing who's starting tomorrow is fkn killing me.
astros4545
AG
That Bellinger play

Holy ****in ****
AggiEE
Almost all of the homers the A's hit were on hanging curves. What in the world made Josh think that throwing multiple hanging curves in that inning was a good idea?

The guy has a lot of power but absolutely zero control. He's an experiment that needs to end at this point. I don't know how many chances we can give him. Almost every single outing he gives up runs.

Such a massive disappointment.
astros4545
AG
redline248
AG
astros4545 said:

That Bellinger play

Holy ****in ****
He can still EAD.
n_touch
Raise your hand if you want to see Tatis break Joe Kelly.

scrimp
AG
Mathguy64 said:

If you keep CFM you don't have to spend big for Greinke. In hindsight it was a bad move. At the time we all knew the worries but in hindsight it was a bad decision.
Agreed. Astros bet against CFM, and it didn't work out. To make the run last year, they gave up prospects and took on Greinke's salary. I think the DBacks are paying some of the salary, but ZG has a $35M/yr contract compared to CFM's 15M/yr. In hindsight, the 'stros would have been better off re-signing CFM.
W
AG
this might be the series right here for the Padres.

2 on for Machado vs.Jansen Kelly in the 9th
agdaddy04
AG
Not Jansen
W
AG
wow, that was a good walk.

it's up to Hosmer --- just need a single now
W
AG
he hit it hard...but right to the second baseman
scrimp
AG
Joe Kelly has MLBs most punchable face.
CFTXAG10
AG
Long way to go, but I would love to obliterate the Dodgers in Arlington sofa king bad
Post removed:
by user
Mathguy64
AG
third coast.. said:

Mathguy64 said:

Im just dumbfounded at how balls are flying out of parks in the playoffs. I wonder if MLB messed around with playoff balls again. I'm convinced they did last year with HRs was down.
were there fewer home runs in the regular season this year? What about it makes you dumbfounded?

I looked this morning. These were the cumulative stats for the last 2 years.

2019: 6776 HR, 4858 games, 1.3948 HR/gm
2020: 2304 HR, 1796 games 1.2829 HR/gm

2020 playoffs: 82 HR, 28 games, 2.9286 HR/gm.
old ag 2003
AG
Watching the yankees lose again definitely took some sting off of the Astros loss...
Post removed:
by user
gigemJTH12
AG
there is zero chance those balls arent juiced.

cant complain though...it will likely benefit us more times than not.

especially if the Yankees lose...its a good thing for us.
Farmer1906
AG
No news about Greinke this morning, but assume he's out.

How do we get 27 outs today?

I assume we'll start Javier since he only threw 20+ pitches 3 days ago. Hopefully, he can go get us 12-15 on short rest. I'll also assume we got with Parades & Pressly for the final 6. Who handles the middle 6-9 outs? It gets even uglier tomorrow. We really need to put up runs on runs on runs.
htxag09
AG
It's 6:30 in California. I assume he's out as well. But I wouldn't expect news for another hour and a half to two hours.
Mathguy64
AG
If you can't throw Greinke, I would mix it up. I might throw Taylor as an opener. Then go to Javier and see if that gets you through 6. Then you have options. Scrubb, Paredes, Garcia, Pressly.

In the end you have to get 5 minumum from Javier. It's just a matter of when those innings come.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

No need about Greinke this morning, but assume he's out.

How do we get 27 outs today?

I assume we'll start Javier since he only threw 20+ pitches 3 days ago. Hopefully, he can go get us 12-15 on short rest. I'll also assume we got with Parades & Pressly for the final 6. Who handles the middle 6-9 outs? It gets even uglier tomorrow. We really need to put up runs on runs on runs.
I think it's easier to start from who won't be getting those outs for us and work backwards:

Pressly/Paredes/Javier - no, bookmarked for other g4 roles
Greinke - no, hurt?
Framber - no, pitched on Tuesday, could maybe give us a bullpen inning or two in g5 (if necessary)
Urquidy - no, pitched yesterday
LMJ - no, need him for g5 (if necessary)
James - no, just no
Raley - doubtful, pitched two innings yesterday but that was his first outing in a while
Taylor - maybe, pitched g1 and g3 but not a ton of pitches

That leaves Scrubb, Sneed and Garcia. I'm not opposed to letting Scrubb handle a few hitters if we like some matchups, but for the most part, I think we gotta roll with Garcia and let the chips fall where they may.

Deluxe
AG
I think it's possible we could get two out of Paredes today if he's looking good. Only threw 21 pitches in g1 and 10 in g2
Beat40
I was wondering about starting Garcia. I wonder if you could get maybe 3-4 inning out of him, see if you can get 3-4 out of Javier. Then you could possibly only have to use Paredes and Pressly.

I will be honest, I'm surprised Scrubb didn't get in that inning after James. I'm definitely ok with getting Scrubb in there if he can be effective with the hammer.

What I'd really like today is to not give up the first run. The guys gotta figure out how to keep them from elevating the ball. Seems like every HR they hit yesterday was high in the zone. We have to keep the ball down in the zone today.
Deluxe
AG
Agreed. Scrubb's ability to induce weak contact seems like a good quality at Dodger Stadium right now.
Farmer1906
AG
What is terrifying about Scrubb is his walks. He was 3rd in all of baseball in BB% this year. The risk of letting a runner or two on then a big fly is high with the way the As are swinging. We were in the game yesterday because the As first 4 HRs were all solo.

At this point we'll probably have to go to him.
mwm
No matter who is on the bump today, the offense is going to have to mash with regularity today. Just keep the line moving.
Marvin
AG
I feel like I let you guys and the team down yesterday... I chose the golf course over the game.

I'm back today, though, and Mrs. Marvin has her Correa-signed ballcap already turned inside out and ready if we need a rally. I have my Jimmy Wynn jersey so let's close it out today!

Oh, and I like the idea of an opener and then Garcia- let the newer kid catch his breath first.
Beat40
Yeah, his walks are definitely scary. It's a high risk, high reward scenario for sure. At least he has the ability to induce weak contact and get ground balls. Seems like that could be worth the risk.

Also, I feel comfortable getting him in up 3 runs in a middle inning when you are just trying to bridge the gap to the 7th.
Deluxe
AG
If Greinke does go today and give us 5 with a lead, do you let Javier bridge to Paredes/Pressly or leave him in the back pocket for tomorrow?
BCSGrubber
AG
My biggest concern with Garcia is the amount of pitches he throws up in the zone.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/luis-garcia-677651?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

Beat40
That is a very fine point and concern.
First Page Last Page
Page 649 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.