****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,626,444 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can't wait to beat the **** out of the Dodgers tomorrow.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Have you watched this team the last week or so? Or at all on the road? I'm not as optimistic
tjack16
AG
Going into this weekend ...
Farmer1906
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Have you watched this team the last week or so? Or at all on the road? I'm not as optimistic

W
AG
okay, D-Backs holding onto a 4-3 lead vs. the Mariners going to the 9th...
Hugo Stiglitzz
F@&$? LA! I Which one of our ****y bp arms grows a pair and beans Bellinger and Pederson?
CFTXAG10
AG
Mariners lost
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Hugo Stiglitzz said:

F@&$? LA! I Which one of our ****y bp arms grows a pair and beans Bellinger and Pederson?
Don't throw at Bellinger and wake him up, he's been in the garbage dump all year.
W
AG
all right, it's official...the Astros (22-23) will make it back to MMP in 2nd place. Whew!

the Mariners (19-25), Angels, and Rangers all lost tonight.

this division is horrible
Gap
AG
4 1-run loses on this road trip so far has made it extremely painful.

Astros lead MLB with 11 1-run loses on the season.

Gotta figure the bullpen out.
CFTXAG10
AG
Gap said:

4 1-run loses on this road trip so far has made it extremely painful.

Astros lead MLB with 11 1-run loses on the season.

Gotta figure the bullpen out.

I knew it was a lot but 11? Sheesh. Could be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. Holding out hope that we flip the switch but even if the bats come around we need an answer in the pen.

Wonder if we could get some starter arms in the pen come playoff time similar to McCullers circa 17'
tjack16
AG
Full Proposed postseason plan to be voted on by union. Looks like bubble doesn't start until round 2. Which doesn't make sense to me
BMX Bandit
It's to give division winners some advantage in the expanded playoff
tjack16
AG
BMX Bandit said:

But what's the point of the bubble if it won't be the entire postseason? You have the possibility of playing teams from other divisions in the wild card ... so I'm just confused as to why the bubble is necessary
BMX Bandit
tjack16 said:

BMX Bandit said:

But what's the point of the bubble if it won't be the entire postseason? You have the possibility of playing teams from other divisions in the wild card ... so I'm just confused as to why the bubble is necessary

To make sure the playoff money is safe.

There's not perfect choice. This gives division winners some advantage and protects the investment
CFTXAG10
AG
Yea I am thinking it has something to do with trying to eliminate any delays in games being played. They have the schedule and networks lined up. They don't want to **** it up and deal with all the travel.
Deluxe
AG
Pretty good Tag mailbag today:

https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/will-astros-reach-full-strength-in-2020

-Injury update that most of us already know... Altuve and LMJ should be back soon. JV, Peacock and Devo still uncertain. JV return in some capacity looks promising but no guarantee.

-Mentioned possibility of Springer taking one year deal and then trying market again after 2021. Assuming he doesn't finish the year hot, this seems plausible. The obvious downside for him is that he's kinda old as it is and delaying a year would make him 32. But it would give him a full season to prove his production level/health and put the scandal another year in the rear view mirror. Grandal and Keuchel both delayed their long term deals by a year and each seemed to benefit. Regardless, he and his agent are going to have an interesting offseason.

-Mentioned possibility of trading Correa and Greinke next year if title window appears to be closing. If we're playing the long game, I wouldn't be opposed to this. Would be nice to get a big league ready OF prospect and more young arms.

I'm coming around more and more to the idea of not keeping Correa or Springer (long term). The lineup of death days may be over, but we would still have a very nice offensive nucleus going forward. Not perfect but good enough to win if combined with a good pitching staff. Hypothetical 2022+ lineup:

1. Altuve 2B
2. Tucker RF
3. Bregman 3B
4. Alvarez DH
5. Yuli 1B (continual short term deals until his production falls off)
6. Veteran free agent LF (possibly Uncle Mike on short term deal)
7. Diaz, Pena or Nova SS
8. K Lee or veteran free agent C
9. Straw CF

Altuve's contract will expire around the time we have to give Bregman a raise and Tucker/Alvarez arb starts to get expensive, but that's about all the money we'd have locked up. We'd be left with tons of cap space to sign some impact arms.
agproducer
AG
I'd be in favor of a one year deal for George. This year has been a cluster of injuries and poor performance. This group needs one more shot with a full season.
Ag_07
AG
I'd rather lock up Correa and let him and Bregs be the foundation with Altuve hanging around until his deal is done.

He's come a long way in this short season and proven himself to be an elite SS that could anchor the middle of the lineup.
tjack16
AG
If we have to choose Springer or Correa .... which sucks because they have been my favorite players the last 5 years. I'd go Correa based on age, defense, and there will be less infield FA options coming up with guys getting locked into long term deals.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
you're making a pretty big assumption about Yordan being healthy in 2021.
W
AG
George's accepting a 1-year deal anywhere would be very risky.

that would make him 32 years old at the end of the 2021 season. And put mega-contract year pressure on him for 2021. And of course he has not responded well to the contract year pressure of this short season.

from the Astros' perspective it would be great if he would take a 1-year $25 MM contract
W
AG
the problem with trading Correa or Greinke at this point...the new team would only have 1 year of control.

would get prospects in return but perhaps not any top prospects...unless Click can find a really desperate team.

I don't see the Astros trading either one
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'd rather lock up Correa and let him and Bregs be the foundation with Altuve hanging around until his deal is done.

He's come a long way in this short season and proven himself to be an elite SS that could anchor the middle of the lineup.

Hanging around as in 4 more years at 29 M a year? Altuve is the foundation as much as anyone.

We're not keeping Correa unless we're willing to give him a Machado, Harper, Betts type deal.
Farmer1906
AG
agproducer said:

I'd be in favor of a one year deal for George. This year has been a cluster of injuries and poor performance. This group needs one more shot with a full season.

We should 100% give George a large 1 year deal if he will take it. I highly doubt he would. Hitting the market at 32 would be disastrous.

Here are the active contracts signed by 32 year old outfielders.

spadilly
S

Deluxe
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

That's why I said 2022
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Deluxe said:

MuckRaker96 said:

That's why I said 2022
My bad, but I'm not sure we'll be seeing 2019 Yordan ever again.
bearkatag15
AG
W
AG
whoa, that's a significant bump for whichever wildcard seed draws the A's --- the #7 or #8
Farmer1906
AG
Big hit to their defense and he's tied for 3rd in OPS+.
linkdude
AG
Hugo Stiglitzz said:

I'd rather get them out than put them on base...
Farmer1906
AG
redline248
AG
Troll your boat, Astros Twitter. Troll your boat.
redline248
AG
I will have a personal riot if we trade Correa.

Not signing him will piss me off, too.
First Page Last Page
Page 474 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.