****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,626,743 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have one hope that lies with the As having to cram in a bunch of makeup games, too. Maybe they have a similar issue, soon.

Still no excuse for last night, though.
Deluxe
AG
cpsencik04 said:

Ag_07 said:

Yeah this team is a disaster on the road and I think that can be attributed to the COVID protocols.

Don't think they've adjusted to quarantining in a hotel room, no hanging out in the clubhouse, and all the BS they have the deal with when traveling this year.

This was always such a loose, laid back team and just don't think all that stuff is easy to adjust to for them.
And yaaaaay the entire playoffs are on the road
The good news is that everyone will be playing road games in the playoffs. And the cold road trips are nothing new with this bunch. We won 107 games last year, which included getting swept by the Reds and White Sox as part of some rough road trips.

IMO the difference between last year and this year isn't necessarily the road struggles per se. It's more the amount of 2+ run leads we've blown. But it makes sense that we've blown alot of 2+ run leads because we don't have a reliable bullpen to lean on.

From a bigger picture standpoint, I'm mostly fine with how this year has gone. Patience was always going to be the key as a fan while we trot some young pitchers out there and let them sink or swim. The daily decision making from Dusty bothers me waaaaay less than most posters on here. I just didn't really understand using James in the highest leverage situation last night, given that he hasn't seen game action in a few weeks.

But I also think it's possible we might be working with some sort of bullpen "script" right now... where certain guys are going to be used on a given night no matter what the situation/score is. Obviously a script would be designed to make sure guys are rested/ready for the stretch run/playoffs, but can be costly on a game to game basis.
W
AG
looking at the AL West...

the Astros are 6-16 on the road.

the Mariners are 8-16. Angels are 5-15. Rangers are 4-17.

those are rather shocking numbers.

and each of the four are .500 or better on their home fields.

strange times
Ag_07
AG
This is the stretch run
Harry Dunne
Big Al 1992 said:

W said:

Ag_07 said:

I'm starting to think a 3 game playoff series may actually help us. We may be the ones in need of randomness BS to move on.

As-is this is not a playoff team.
I do wonder how interested the veteran players are in advancing thru the playoffs.

they may just want to get the season over with. They know this bullpen cannot survive a best-of-5 or best-of-7 series. And there's no way the vets have any confidence left in Dusty at this point

And no way JV is going to rush his arm out there for a quick playoff exit.
Disagree, and I think you're underestimating JV's will to win. I think he knows that his arm (even in relief) can make the difference between a quick exit and a deep run. If we had an ace out of the bullpen this season that would have made the difference between a W and a L in how many games? A lot. Enough to put us right there with the A's and feel a lot different about the team.

"As-is" like during this losing streak, we are not a playoff team, but what about during the 8-game winning streak? And what is different now than then? It's baseball man - arms go cold, bats go cold. Tucker was not worthy of the KBO for most of the season and in the blink of an eye he's the best hitter on the team and if not for poor management would be a ROY candidate.

IF JV can help the team, he's going to pitch.
W
AG
also for the playoffs...at least the first series...

Lance and Urquidy go to the bullpen. Maybe that would help
MosesHallRAB04
AG
I've said it before and I'll say it again. It would be the most As thing ever to run away with the division and lose in the 1st round.
Beat40
MosesHallRAB04 said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It would be the most As thing ever to run away with the division and lose in the 1st round.

Honestly, I hope they do.
Farmer1906
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Its looking like they'll face us or the Yankees at this point (still a lot can change). They may even be the underdogs.
W
AG
just like the 7-inning doubleheader did at MMP last week vs. the A's...

a short series...where a team can be eliminated after 2 games...helps the team with the weaker bullpen (and weaker pitching in general)
agproducer
AG
Just for sake of argument, the A's have four additional home games compared to the Astros.
tjack16
AG
We got lucky the last two nights that San Fran ended the mariners hot streak.
Chuck Gay
AG
Looks like we are trotting our best starting lineup out there today instead of giving anyone the day off:

Farmer1906
AG
And it looks like a pretty damn good line up when everyone healthy actually plays.
R-Dog
AG
Always watch at work on AT&T Sportsnet website but now am getting "Content Not Available - Territorial Restrictions Apply" message when I try to start streaming. Like it thinks I am outside the market, but am most definitely inside.

I am even checked my IP address and it shows me within Texas.

Anyone with any ideas?

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
What channel is the game on...Im trying to stream at work and MLB app says its the free game but blacked out, I go to ATT app and it says its blacked out due to territorial restrictions also
linkdude
AG
2 outs on 4 pitches. Great start.
bluefire579
AG
Not sure why you guys are having issues. It's on AT&TSSW the channel, so they must be having something weird going on with the streaming.
R-Dog
AG
I was thinking something with my wi-fi but if I try on my phone with wi-fi turned off, I get the same message.

Oh well, maybe following gamecast will lead to less frustration.
Farmer1906
AG
I got the same thing when I tried on my phone. It works through the cable/tv.
Beau Bevers
AG

Urquidy looking nice in the 1st!
bearkatag15
AG
Looks like neither of these teams want to see pitches today.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Ag_07
AG
6 outs on 11 pitches
Marvin
AG
Ag_07 said:

6 outs on 11 pitches

That's just ridiculous. If this is your approach, you better be raking the ball and the pitch better be fat on the table.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Ag_07
AG
Exactly

I don't mind aggressiveness if your getting good pitches but damn get some hits if you're getting strikes.
Chuck Gay
AG
Give Reddick credit on that 4 pitch strikeout. It was our longest AB of the game so far.
Chuck Gay
AG
Maldonado tops him with a 5 pitch AB.

Manaea now at 21 pitches through 3 innings complete.
Marvin
AG
Chuck Gay said:

Maldonado tops him with a 5 pitch AB.

Manaea now at 21 pitches through 3 innings complete.

This team is so done. They just want out of Oakland at this point.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Teddy Perkins
AG
http://bilasport.net/game/oakland-athletics-vs-houston-astros-25644.html
Ag_07
AG
9 outs on 21 pitches with 0 hits is embarrassingly bad
tjack16
AG
I'm all for being aggressive early in the count if your pitch is there to hit .... but today it's just bad approaches so far
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

9 outs on 21 pitches with 0 hits is embarrassingly bad
36 by Urquidy. Its not 21, but its strong.
Farmer1906
AG
xBA of .560 & .530 on the 2 balls hit by George. Keep swinging it and those will turn into hits.
bearkatag15
AG
Hit is where they ain't guys...
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
linkdude
AG
Bregs making hard contact, no hits though.
First Page Last Page
Page 471 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.