****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,602,308 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
txaggie02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's an absolutely horrendous loss. If you ever want to say we gave a game away, that was it. Prime example. Beyond pathetic showing from the bullpen. It's one thing to do that against some scrub team, but certainly not the team you are trying to chase down.
cc10106
Fire Dusty. Save this clown show.
Beat40
I want a screen grab of that Kemp HBP. Gotta find it in one of the videos.
scrimp
AG
Not to be a tinfoil hat guy, but I'm starting to feel like Baker was part of the punishment package from Manfred--i.e. MLB doesn't vacate the championship, but you have to fire Hinch and hire Baker. He may have realized that was the equivalent of forfeiting 2-3 dozen games in a normal season...
Ag_07
AG
I'm starting to think a 3 game playoff series may actually help us. We may be the ones in need of randomness BS to move on.

As-is this is not a playoff team.
W
AG
so with 16 games left...

the Astros are now 7 games behind the A's in the loss column.

it appears strongly that a 4th division title in-a-row is not going to happen

Mathguy64
AG
To add insult to injury the lizard is here next year too. We can watch him screw up for a whole 162 game season. Won't that be entertaining.
W
AG
crazy to think that despite a 1-10 roadtrip and a sub .500 record...

the Astros (22-22) are still looking good for a playoff spot.

the Mariners are down by 10 runs and will fall to 19-24.
Mathguy64
AG
We make the playoffs because we play In the worst Division in the AL and MLB made up stupid playoff rules. We don't deserve any special credit for this.
W
AG
iamtheglove said:

Meanwhile Atlanta beats the Marlins 29 to 9
a Marlins pitcher named Yamamoto was left in to give up 11 earned runs.

that's the worst night for a guy name Yamamoto since the admiral over Bouganville in '43
agproducer
AG
As great as last night's win was, this loss was bad.

Why put James in a high-leverage situation right when he gets back from the DL?

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
W
AG
yep, figuring 3 more losses on the roadtrip...

the Astros will need to finish 9-4 to make the playoffs with a winning record.

might be the first team to ever make the playoffs with a losing record
agproducer
AG
Beat40 said:

I want a screen grab of that Kemp HBP. Gotta find it in one of the videos.
Terrible call. He was squared to bunt and barely pulled the bat back.
redline248
AG
W
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'm starting to think a 3 game playoff series may actually help us. We may be the ones in need of randomness BS to move on.

I do wonder how interested the veteran players are in advancing thru the playoffs.

they may just want to get the season over with. They know this bullpen cannot survive a best-of-5 or best-of-7 series. And there's no way the vets have any confidence left in Dusty at this point
redline248
AG
scrimp
AG
redline248 said:

Seems weird to pick the last five for the batting stat, and then the full road trip for the pitching.....
redline248
AG
I agree
W
AG
another weird thing about the 2020 playoffs...

it's very possible the Astros are #6 seed with a sub .500 record.

while the 3rd place team in the AL Central is the #7 seed with a 35-25 (or so) record.

maybe that will be the Astros secret revenge against the A's...when Oakland finishes as the #2 seed
aggie813
This is why the owner shouldn't hire the manager before hiring the GM.
BMX Bandit
aggie813 said:

This is why the owner shouldn't hire the manager before hiring the GM.

The GM was hired when the 2021 option was picked up
Big Al 1992
AG
W said:

Ag_07 said:

I do wonder how interested the veteran players are in advancing thru the playoffs.

they may just want to get the season over with. They know this bullpen cannot survive a best-of-5 or best-of-7 series. And there's no way the vets have any confidence left in Dusty at this point

And no way JV is going to rush his arm out there for a quick playoff exit.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Looks like I made the right choice going to bed as soon as James walked onto the field.
cap-n-jack
Waking up to another blown game. Not surprising but still maddening. Very frustrating.
At what point does Dusty start to have to fade heat?
tjack16
AG
I honestly Just don't understand.

A week ago this team was rolling, confident and chasing down the A's. Now it's like winning a single game is a miracle.
Deluxe
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Looks like I made the right choice going to bed as soon as James walked onto the field.

I did the same. If we're gonna bring him into a high lev situation against the division leaders, we 100% deserve to lose.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I agree that Dusty Baker is wrong for this job and I can only assume that Josh James has a hot wife/girlfriend/sister/mom who is regularly blowing Dusty to keep letting him into games.

However, what manager would be doing significantly better with Justin Verlander and Yordan Alvarez essentially missing the entire season, Alex Bregman out for a huge chunk of it, George Springer playing hurt, and now Jose Altuve out? Take away Tucker's emergence and Correa's shocking non-injured consistency and the Astros 4 very best weapons are all gone for the year or have been on the IR; not to mention you lost your #2 pitcher who is really the #1 pitcher in the game as well as an amazing reliever, and your fantastic manager. Put most teams in that scenario and they are 10-34 right now.

Despite the melancholy surrounding Houston's three sports franchises right now, it's hard to top a day where you've got

Astros at 2:40
Rockets at 6
Texans at 7 - albeit I'm mostly excited about this one because I've got Kelce and the Chiefs' kicker in FFL.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah Dusty makes some boneheaded decisions but at this point anyone he puts in there isn't performing.

Look at Pressley his most experienced best arm out of the pen. He came in and promptly walked the leadoff batter and hit the next batter only to blow eventually blow it.

He probably doesn't fare much better if he was called in instead of James.

So yeah...inserting James is stupid but I'm not convinced there would be a different end result if it were anyone else.
agproducer
AG
tjack16 said:

A week ago this team was rolling, confident and chasing down the A's. Now it's like winning a single game is a miracle.
It's all been downhill since the A's had the COVID test. That happened right before a crucial road trip. That lay off coupled with the Hurricane Laura postponement threw them off their rhythm. They basically had a week off, then they were forced to cram several games together, on the road, with young players and a manager who doesn't know how to effectively manage a bullpen. Couple that with a few key injuries and guys coming back from injury without being tested against live game situational hitters. It all adds up to disaster.
tjack16
AG
agproducer said:

tjack16 said:

It's all been downhill since the A's had the COVID test. That happened right before a crucial road trip. That lay off coupled with the Hurricane Laura postponement threw them off their rhythm. They basically had a week off, then they were forced to cram several games together, on the road, with young players and a manager who doesn't know how to effectively manage a bullpen. Couple that with a few key injuries and guys coming back from injury without being tested against live game situational hitters. It all adds up to disaster.

Yeah it's all added up to disaster ... and I dont see it ending anytime soon until we have a home stand. This team used to be so good on the road. Take away the Colorado series and how many road games have we won? Maybe 3? It's sad

In every division but two (NL East and Central) our record would put us in 4th place
agproducer
AG
tjack16 said:

agproducer said:

tjack16 said:

Yeah it's all added up to disaster ... and I dont see it ending anytime soon until we have a home stand. This team used to be so good on the road. Take away the Colorado series and how many road games have we won? Maybe 3? It's sad

In every division but two (NL East and Central) our record would put us in 4th place

And, the Astros have had to play 8 out of 10 games against the division leader on the road. Even before the updated schedule came out, it was pretty much a given the AL West was going to come down to Astros and A's. Fans or no fans, having to play 8 road games compared to 2 at home is a real disadvantage for the Astros and advantage for the A's. The Astros won both at home against the A's and have won 1 or 2 against them on the road.

I don't think the scheduling was an accident.

Ag_07
AG
Yeah this team is a disaster on the road and I think that can be attributed to the COVID protocols.

Don't think they've adjusted to quarantining in a hotel room, no hanging out in the clubhouse, and all the BS they have the deal with when traveling this year.

This was always such a loose, laid back team and just don't think all that stuff is easy to adjust to for them.
agproducer
AG
Looking at the numbers: Astros now have 22 divisional games on the road compared to 17 at home. In a short season like this, that can make a big difference.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yeah this team is a disaster on the road and I think that can be attributed to the COVID protocols.

Don't think they've adjusted to quarantining in a hotel room, no hanging out in the clubhouse, and all the BS they have the deal with when traveling this year.

This was always such a loose, laid back team and just don't think all that stuff is easy to adjust to for them.
And yaaaaay the entire playoffs are on the road
Harry Dunne
agproducer said:

Looking at the numbers: Astros now have 22 divisional games on the road compared to 17 at home. In a short season like this, that can make a big difference.
Big time.

A 5 game difference doesn't look like much, but every game this year is worth 2.7 games in a regular season...and the organization would be screaming bloody murder if we had 13-14 more divisional road games than home.

Unfortunately as red-handed cheaters (albeit scapegoats IMO), we are not in a position to say isht about it.
First Page Last Page
Page 470 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.