****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,602,862 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Another lead off walk crosses the plate.

I swear I'm not stuttering.
SA-AG72
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Look. Another lead off walk by a reliever. Let's just save the pitch count and point to home. Get it over with.
Mathguy64
AG
I know there's no one left in the pen worth a **** and someone has to be out there down 3. But Sneed doesn't need to be in the majors. Its like waving a white flag.
tjack16
AG
I've become indifferent to this team this year. Hopefully we make the playoffs. But I'm tired of having hope and letting this team put me into a frustrated mood every day.

Still hopeful we can make a run, but this year of astros baseball has been anything but enjoyable so far
astros4545
AG
Sigh Sneed
Mathguy64
AG
I quit. This isn't a major league staff and it's not going to be one this year.
bluefire579
AG
****ing hell, cut sneed tonight
Mathguy64
AG
The look on Tucker's face said it all. He has ripped two and has 2 outs.
Mathguy64
AG
3 pitch inning.
W
AG
0-11 roadtrip still in play
W
AG
Toro has 2 walks in 85 plate appearances.

it's hard to find words in the English dictionary to describe how bad that is.

even the Dominican players think he should show more patience
spadilly
S
Baseball isn't fun this year.
falcon09
AG
This whole season feels like a well struck line drive to the deep part of the park that's easily caught on the warning track by a jogging outfielder.
Mathguy64
AG
This is what it must feel like to wake up in the morning and be a Rangers fan.

Seriously, I've been watching games since before the Dome was remodeled the first time. I've seen the highs and the lows. What hurts is that this team wasn't supposed to be part of the lows. It's just been one great big kick in the twig and berries since the opening night.
agproducer
AG
This team is just a shell of what it was supposed to be. This may be a lost season like 2016.

Look at the injuries. All have missed time:
JV
Yordan
Altuve
Bregman
Osuna
Diaz
Devo
Peacock
Smith (opted out)
Pruitt
James
Springer
Brantley
LMJ
Pressly
Urquidy

Major pieces are gone. Honestly, I'm surprised we are over .500. I can't remember a year when this team was hit so hard with the injury bug.

They just need to get healthy and hopefully make the playoffs.

tjack16
AG
agproducer said:

This team is just a shell of what it was supposed to be. This may be a lost season like 2016.

JV
Yordan
Altuve
Bregman
Osuna
Diaz
Devo
Peacock
Smith (opted out)
Pruitt
James
Springer
Brantley
LMJ
Pressly
Urquidy

Major pieces are gone. Honestly, I'm surprised we are over .500. I can't remember a year when this team was hit so hard with the injury bug.

The fact that Correa isn't on that list is a miracle. So glad he's been healthy
astros4545
AG
Joe Smith is a *****
Deluxe
AG
Some worst case scenario talk:

We're 21-20 today. Assuming we lose our next six and finish the road trip 0-11, we'll be 21-26 with 13 games remaining. The division title will be totally out of the question. Second place should still be possible though.

Assuming Seattle finishes around .500, that means we'll have to 10-3 over our last 13 games to finish 31-29. I think that would be good enough to get into the playoffs. I think 9-4 and a 30-30 overall record would probably be close too, so long as we take 2/3 from Seattle later this month.

I think the key to the season (assuming we lose our next six) is that we HAVE to go 5-1 or better against the Rangers/D-Backs at home next week, then take 2/3 from the Mariners. If we do those two things, I think we'll be alright to get into the playoffs, even with an 0-11 road trip.
mazag08
AG
tjack16 said:

agproducer said:

JV
Yordan
Altuve
Bregman
Osuna
Diaz
Devo
Peacock
Smith (opted out)
Pruitt
James
Springer
Brantley
LMJ
Pressly
Urquidy

The fact that Correa isn't on that list is a miracle. So glad he's been healthy
Delete your post immediately before Correa's wife smashes his rib cage with her thighs.
Farmer1906
AG
Real talk:

This ****ing sucks.

We are absolutely crippled by injuries & no pitching depth. Sure Click didn't know JV, Osuna, Peacock, Pruitt, Devo, would go down and Smith would opt-out, but we needed a better plan to replace Harris, Rondon, McHugh, & Miley. Just one more quality arm would have helped, but no one in the offseason or trade deadline.

But every little thing is going to be alright.

Well not every little thing, but we're not going to get overtaken by Seattle and we'll have as legit of a shot as anyone to win the AL.

Why? Because they suck and we don't.

Short of more serious injuries to key players, we're going to be able to run out a line up of the following soon.

Springer - CF
Altuve/Diaz - 2B
Bregman - 3B
Brantley - DH (should be)
Yuli - 1B
Tucker - LF
Correa - SS
Reddick - RF
Machete - C

While starting pitching is sub-par overall, this ain't terrible for a 3 games series

Greinke - 2.91 ERA, 2.33 FIP
Framber - 3.61 ERA, 3.02 FIP
Javier - 3.38 ERA, 5.35 FIP

Better than Oakland, New York, even the uber-talented Rays (their 3 best have a 3.74, 4.35, and 4.95 ERA)

The schedule matters too. Right now we're don't have the arms to last the number of innings required. Too many games in too few days. After Thursday, we're going to play 15 games in 17 days with only 2 of those coming from a good team. The rest are versus teams with winning%s of .463,
.357, & .325. Then, once the postseason starts, we'll have ample rest and not be forced to use Single-A players.

The recency bias is overwhelming. We'll right the ship. We'll make the playoffs. We have a decent shot of advancing. We probably won't win it all, but its not off the table.
redline248
AG
Quote:

While starting pitching is sub-par overall, this ain't terrible for a 3 games series

This is going to feel a lot better if Verlander can pitch by playoff time
redline248
AG
Farmer is right, though. This certainly sucks right now, but it's not going to continue.
bearkatag15
AG
ZG is going to go a full 7 innings in game 1 tonight to save the bullpen. Dusty will probably let him throw 110 pitches to make sure that happens.

I feel like we will win both games.. at worst we will split with the rookie going game 2.

Toro better not see the lineup at all tonight. Diaz at 2nd, Bregman at 3rd and Yuli at 1st. Don't mess that up Dusty.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
bearkatag15
AG
Want to dive into a baseball rabbit hole? This is really freaking cool

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Real talk:

This ****ing sucks.

We are absolutely crippled by injuries & no pitching depth. Sure Click didn't know JV, Osuna, Peacock, Pruitt, Devo, would go down and Smith would opt-out, but we needed a better plan to replace Harris, Rondon, McHugh, & Miley. Just one more quality arm would have helped, but no one in the offseason or trade deadline.

But every little thing is going to be alright.

Well not every little thing, but we're not going to get overtaken by Seattle and we'll have as legit of a shot as anyone to win the AL.

Why? Because they suck and we don't.

Short of more serious injuries to key players, we're going to be able to run out a line up of the following soon.

Springer - CF
Altuve/Diaz - 2B
Bregman - 3B
Brantley - DH (should be)
Yuli - 1B
Tucker - LF
Correa - SS
Reddick - RF
Machete - C

Better than Oakland, New York, even the uber-talented Rays (their 3 best have a 3.74, 4.35, and 4.95 ERA)

The schedule matters too. Right now we're don't have the arms to last the number of innings required. Too many games in too few days. After Thursday, we're going to play 15 games in 17 days with only 2 of those coming from a good team. The rest are versus teams with winning%s of .463,
.357, & .325. Then, once the postseason starts, we'll have ample rest and not be forced to use Single-A players.

The recency bias is overwhelming. We'll right the ship. We'll make the playoffs. We have a decent shot of advancing. We probably won't win it all, but its not off the table.

Anaheim isn't a good team and our pitching bent over and took it up the south pole from them, so I'm not buying the schedule assumptions. We suck until we don't, and that starts with the rookies proving they haven't hit a collective wall already. And yes, I agree that the overwork has compounded the issue.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Chuck Gay
AG
Hoping we indeed see Bregman back in the lineup today. We need something to change the mojo.
Farmer1906
AG
Chuck Gay said:

Hoping we indeed see Bregman back in the lineup today. We need something to change the mojo.

MosesHallRAB04
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

There's no chance JV can start right? Even if he can pitch again this year.
CFTXAG10
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

redline248 said:

Quote:

There's no chance JV can start right? Even if he can pitch again this year.
**** at this point I would take JV out of the pen
Deluxe
AG
A top heavy pitching staff can be fine in the playoffs
Farmer1906
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

redline248 said:

Quote:

There's no chance JV can start right?
Click spoke about it on Sunday. Here are a few bullets.

• JV threw off the mound last week and again on Sunday.
  • Playing it safe and taking it slow.
  • Several steps to go before we establish anything concrete.
  • Is JV in the bullpen for the postseason? Its a conversation with him. It's about what JV is comfortable with. Not going to gloss over what switching to the bullpen can do to you.
  • We all want him back, but we're not going to rush him back.

I would guess if he's back then he's back as a starter.
W
AG
and it's also time for the veteran players to start playing thru their injuries, because the replacements are just awful.

when Biggio & Bagwell were clocking in for 160 games a year...you know they had bumps and bruises and strains and muscle aches
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

and it's also time for the veteran players to start playing thru their injuries, because the replacements are just awful.

when Biggio & Bagwell were clocking in for 160 games a year...you know they had bumps and bruises and strains and muscle aches
Funny you should say that. While listening to Click just now, Jose said he didn't want to go on the IL and wanted to play through it. They push him on the IL because they want 100% Jose and not 75% and have him thinking about it constantly.

I am under the same mindset. We need guys at their best for the postseason. I feel comfortable enough with our position that we don't need everyone fighting and clawing just to make the postseason. If we're Seattle, then I want everyone playing through pain and stretching out starts.
Deluxe
AG
W said:

But how did they do in the playoffs?

I say that somewhat jokingly, but in today's game, it seems like more and more emphasis is on keeping guys fresh/ready for the stretch run. Strapping them on for 162 isn't as much of a hallmark.

With that said, we're probably getting to that time of year when they'll need to play through it.
tjack16
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

I'd bet they roll with LMJ over Javier in a 3 game series. I'd go Urquidy game 3 if he's stretched out and good by then. Javier and LMJ would be your long relief if needed

In a perfect world seven game series I'd go
1. Greinke
2. Valdez
3. Urquidy
4. LMJ
5. Javier/Greinke
First Page Last Page
Page 457 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.