****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,630,912 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't think our championship window is necessarily closing. I think our championship window will end up being 10-12 years, during which we'll have some years close to peak performance (2017-2019) and some re-tooling years (2020). Free agency takes its toll. Injury bug eventually bites. Production from older players eventually starts to fall off. At some point a team has to lean on young, unproven guys to do the work.

The Cardinals went through similar phases during their 2004-2013 run when they made 4 World Series and 3 NLCS. They had to replace some key departures during that stretch and it wasn't always pretty. Red Sox have been up and down since 2004 and have 4 World Series titles.

So I guess our initial peak performance window might be closed, but I think we still have a good chance to make some title runs over the next 6-8 years.
tjack16
AG
Deluxe said:

I don't think our championship window is necessarily closing. I think our championship window will end up being 10-12 years, during which we'll have some years close to peak performance (2017-2019) and some re-tooling years (2020). Free agency takes its toll. Injury bug eventually bites. Production from older players eventually starts to fall off. At some point a team has to lean on young, unproven guys to do the work.

The Cardinals went through similar phases during their 2004-2013 run when they made 4 World Series and 3 NLCS. They had to replace some key departures during that stretch and it wasn't always pretty. Red Sox have been up and down since 2004 and have 4 World Series titles.

So I guess our initial peak performance window might be closed, but I think we still have a good chance to make some title runs over the next 6-8 years.

I agree. We've been spoiled with 3 years in a row of great success.

You used the cardinals as a good example. Another would be the Red Sox. They have had as many last place finishes in their division as they do WS titles since 2004. They've won 4 in 14 years. The giants are another good example.

I think our window is from 2017-2024 (when Bregman and Altuve become FA). If we can extend Correa that would be even better. We have good young pitchers and guys like Tucker, and Yordan (If he's healthy moving forward) have proven they can be pieces to build a franchise around along with Bregman and Correa hopefully. I'm also very excited for the possibility of Taylor Jones moving forward, as well as Pedro Leon if he is ever signed.

As we've seen in baseball... all you have to do is make the playoffs and you can go on a run. We saw the Giants do it from the wild card, the nationals, and many other teams. If we make the playoffs 7 of the next 10 seasons. We have the potential to be one of the top 3 teams of the 2020 decade
Johnsy3
AG

astros4545
AG
Cromagnum
AG
Out in the first round if thats the case.
Chuck Gay
AG
Is Bregman expected back tonight?
W
AG
and of course the other AL West teams have their issues too going forward.

the Rangers and Mariners are probably not division contenders until 2022 or 2023.

the A's Semien-Chapman-Olson trio will reach free agency over the next 3 seasons. Semien is a free agent after this season. Will the A's pay him? Will the new CBA get players like Chapman to free agency a year earlier?

and then the Angels...it's about father time...and signing FA starting pitchers. Next year Trout turns 30 and Rendon turns 31. Can LAAA build a starting rotation in the next year or two while their two stars are still in their early 30's?
Mathguy64
AG
Cromagnum said:

Out in the first round if thats the case.

This team is as likely to sweep someone as get swept. It's pure D Jeckyl and Hyde.
W
AG
Chuck Gay said:

Is Bregman expected back tonight?
I hope so.

apparently Chapman left yesterday's A's game with a hip issue. Semien might not play either
Ag_07
AG
Been out of town and off the grid all weekend...What'd I miss?
Mathguy64
AG
A **** show. Consider yourself lucky.
Farmer1906
AG
I'm very pleased with Greinke and it would have only been a rental, but i was really hoping to see what Strom could do with Wheeler.

So far he's rockin a 2.20 ERA & 1.068 WHIP this year.
bearkatag15
AG

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
tjack16
AG
Not upset about Devo.... Taylor is a big loss though
Mathguy64
AG
And the injuries just keep piling up.
MexAg05
AG
Live look at the bullpen

mwm
I'll be honest, this past weekend's performance took a lot of the luster off the upcoming series against the A's.
Cromagnum
AG
Nice stupid BLM logo on the mound.
Beat40
Somehow the As skip throwing Fiers against us this series again.

Did he get hurt or out of the rotation now they picked up Minor?
cap-n-jack
Piped in drums
Mathguy64
AG
Beat40 said:

Somehow the As skip throwing Fiers against us this series again.

Did he get hurt or out of the rotation now they picked up Minor?
He's a *****.
Beat40
Pretty good job of working the pitch count a little there in the first.
Cromagnum
AG
You owe us another pitch there ump.

And there's the makeup
Mathguy64
AG
Garneau. One of several bad offseason misses. Or mid season misses to upgrade. Lots of catchers moved for cheap and most any would have been an upgrade at and behind the plate.
Mathguy64
AG
Ball 4. Not close. Grossman tosses the bat. Blue decides to go strike. Javier looks gift horse in the mouth and tosses a fat one next.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Why the hell does grossman play like a damn all star against Houston?
cap-n-jack
The play could've been made out there
MosesHallRAB04
AG
He looks safe
iamtheglove
That play is what I don't get about Tucker. Run hard and you probably make that play
Mathguy64
AG
All toro has to do is hold the tag.
Ag_07
AG
Toro sucks
tjack16
AG
Is it bad that I totally forgot we were playing tonight until I just got a score alert?
Mathguy64
AG
Gift. He was safe.
cap-n-jack
Yep
Cromagnum
AG
And the wheels come loose early.
First Page Last Page
Page 455 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.