****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,626,251 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Click isn't going to do anything and I don't think he should.

He's got a playoff team and WS contender as it stands. Plus this messed up weird ass season and stupid playoff rules isn't worth cashing in chips and mortgaging the future for.

Sit back, stay put, ride this out with what you got (which isn't bad). Then focus this off-season on the FAs we have and a Correa extension. Build and fill holes from the there.
Harry Dunne
Ag_07 said:

Click isn't going to do anything and I don't think he should.

He's got a playoff team and WS contender as it stands. Plus this messed up weird ass season and stupid playoff rules isn't worth cashing in chips and mortgaging the future for.

Sit back, stay put, ride this out with what you got (which isn't bad). Then focus this off-season on the FAs we have and a Correa extension. Build and fill holes from the there.
I agree, but the other side of that is that nothing in the future is guaranteed.

Right now we have a contender and are close to being a favorite. Between expiring contracts and injuries and the randomness of the universe it is certainly not anywhere close to a guarantee that this will continue to be the case.

If there is a guy out there that can "put us over the top" like JV did and like Greinke almost did and either not kill (financially) the deals we need to get done and/or be a part of the future, I think you've got to give it a good shot to get him.

I know what Clevenger did was stupid, but he didn't beat his wife or commit a felony. Well I guess it just depends on how badly you want to win. I want to win real bad and his stuff is minor league compare to Osuna, who worked out fine until he didn't.
Harry Dunne
EastCoastAgNc said:

Sadly, I think after the sign stealing scandal, teams are going to be hesitant to trade with the Astros because they won't want to be seen as the team that helped the Astros win. They'll probably ask for a higher price, or given two equal deals, choose the other one. I hope click can pull off something.
If teams think they are getting a good trade they won't give it a second thought.

How many teams has it come out were doing something similar? Are people going to stop trading with the Red Sox and Yankees? Do you think people are going to pass when the Red Sox try to unload expiring contracts? Anyway, no team is "helping another team win". Not on purpose anyway.

And the main point in favor of trading Reddick is how awful he has been in the postseason. It's not a small sample either. A .555 OPS in over 200 PA.
W
AG
wow, the Rangers' payroll would be next to nothing in 2021 if Lynn is dealt.

but he would be very expensive in prospects (not in salary commitment going forward)
Bregxit
AG
According to Elias the Cards recorded the first ever 3-2-8 double play...pretty fun.

W
AG
old ag 2003 said:

Yankees losing late to the Mets again.....you hate to see it.
Aaron Boone is suddenly not the genius, managing savant, soothsayer, and so forth that he was the first 3 weeks of the season.

edit...but there's always the Mets bullpen...
old ag 2003
AG
W said:

old ag 2003 said:

Aaron Boone is suddenly not the genius, managing savant, soothsayer, and so forth that he was the first 3 weeks of the season.

The yankees get 1 single, and a homerun and score 5 runs to tie it. They had 2 outs and a runner on 1st due to and error. And the mets blew it
astros4545
AG
old ag 2003 said:

W said:

old ag 2003 said:

The yankees get 1 single, and a homerun and score 5 runs to tie it. They had 2 outs and a runner on 1st due to and error. And the mets blew it

McInnis
AG
I hate 2020. When I checked score tracker and saw the game was postponed I didn't think of the virus. I figured a cop shot somebody.
tjack16
AG
Jason Castro to the Padres
Cromagnum
AG
Bregxit said:

According to Elias the Cards recorded the first ever 3-2-8 double play...pretty fun.

You get a TOOTBLAN, you get a TOOTBLAN, everybody gets a TOOTBLAN !
bearkatag15
AG
Rosenthal article on the Athletic:

Quote:

The Diamondbacks also are open to trading right-handed closer Archie Bradley, who like Marte is under club control for just one more season. The Astros have shown interest in both Bradley and lefty Robbie Ray, believing they could fix Ray, who has walked 31 in 31 innings.

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
redline248
AG
Quote:

Also that logic is flawed because you saying with those 4 healthy where would we put a DH.... so Yordan would ride the bench right now if he was healthy? Brantley's hamstrings worry me right now. Those are nagging injuries.
I don't agree it's flawed because the same problem exists with a healthy Yordan. Just put Yordan in those top 4 and figure out who is the 5th man. Personally, I don't see the need to trade for a platoon DH or PH bat. Especially now that we're getting Diaz back (for whatever that's worth). Although as I said, 2 weeks ago when Springer and Brantley were both nursing injuries and Tucker had yet to go nova, it made more sense. Moot point, now.

Pen relief remains the biggest need. If we believe Houston really does need a trade.
tjack16
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

Also that logic is flawed because you saying with those 4 healthy where would we put a DH.... so Yordan would ride the bench right now if he was healthy? Brantley's hamstrings worry me right now. Those are nagging injuries.
I don't agree it's flawed because the same problem exists with a healthy Yordan. Just put Yordan in those top 4 and figure out who is the 5th man. Personally, I don't see the need to trade for a platoon DH or PH bat. Especially now that we're getting Diaz back (for whatever that's worth). Although as I said, 2 weeks ago when Springer and Brantley were both nursing injuries and Tucker had yet to go nova, it made more sense. Moot point, now.

Pen relief remains the biggest need. If we believe Houston really does need a trade.

Agreed. I had expressed the sentiment to go after Moreland when we were having all the injuries. If they stay healthy, we don't need him or another DH bat.
Mr.Bond
AG
Cromagnum said:

Bregxit said:

You get a TOOTBLAN, you get a TOOTBLAN, everybody gets a TOOTBLAN !

Almost certain catcher tagged runner with his glove while ball was in his throwing hand
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Proudag06
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Almost certain catcher tagged runner with his glove while ball was in his throwing hand

No he puts it in his glove to tag and then pulls it right back out. He even releases it for split second before going back into his glove.
BMX Bandit
other than heads up, here is whats left:

A's

Mariners-6
Padres-3
Rangers-4
Rockies-2
Giants-3
Dodgers-3

Astros:

Rangers-10
Angels-3
Dodgers-2
DBacks-3
Mariners-3
tjack16
AG
We should win at least 13 of those 21games IMO
Hulla Baller
AG
We should win all 10 of those games against the rangers.
tjack16
AG
The Padres are making moves so often that I don't think MLB writers can keep up
Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

The Padres are making moves so often I'm not sure they are keeping up.

They trade for Castro and the 2 hours later trade for Nola. It's like they wanted to forget they got Castro. I know I would.
tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

tjack16 said:

The Padres are making moves so often I'm not sure they are keeping up.

They trade for Castro and the 2 hours later trade for Nola. It's like they wanted to forget they got Castro. I know I would.

Yeah I've never heard of a team trading for 2 big league catchers l the same day in separate trades
bearkatag15
AG
Braves are trying to blow a 10 run lead to the Phillies right now. Phillies just hit 2 solo bombs to make it a 1 run game. Score was 10-0 in middle of 2nd inning

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Mathguy64
AG
I was assured by the rangers that you should stop trying when games get to that point.
Harry Dunne
Richard Justice was on 610 this morning. He says Click WILL make a deal today, probably for a guy that can pitch the 8th inning. Says there is a feeding frenzy on Clevenger and other teams have more to offer.

He talked about Springer's free agency, same stuff we have said around here -wish it would happen and he means so much to the team but he's going to want 5 years and is going to get big $ (based on name & body of work even if he has a bad season) that will probably make him a bad value by the end of that contract.

Nothing surprising and I don't care for Justice, but he's well connected and is right more than Chandler Rome.
Ag_07
AG
To be honest any one of us are more right than Chandler Rome.
Marvin
AG
Harry Dunne said:

He talked about Springer's free agency, same stuff we have said around here -wish it would happen and he means so much to the team but he's going to want 5 years and is going to get big $ (based on name & body of work even if he has a bad season) that will probably make him a bad value by the end of that contract.

At this point I'd hope that Click signs Correa to a long-term deal. That would mean letting Springer sign elsewhere, I assume. Keep Brantley and Gurriel on short-term contracts and add a centerfielder like Marte or Pillar. Those two are a bit older than Springer but wouldn't require 5 year deals. Conceivably, this could offer another run or two at a ring. Just a thought...
Deluxe
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Richard Justice was on 610 this morning. He says Click WILL make a deal today, probably for a guy that can pitch the 8th inning. Says there is a feeding frenzy on Clevenger and other teams have more to offer.

Nothing surprising and I don't care for Justice, but he's well connected and is right more than Chandler Rome.
Thanks for the recap.

Springer's market this winter is going to be very interesting. I suspect the bid-ask spread between him and the Astros is going to be very wide initially. We'll probly tell him to test the market, see what he can get, and then come back and talk.
Deluxe
AG
Marvin said:

Harry Dunne said:

At this point I'd hope that Click signs Correa to a long-term deal. That would mean letting Springer sign elsewhere, I assume. Keep Brantley and Gurriel on short-term contracts and add a centerfielder like Marte or Pillar. Those two are a bit older than Springer but wouldn't require 5 year deals. Conceivably, this could offer another run or two at a ring. Just a thought...
That's roughly where my head is at too. Don't think we're gonna give Springer a 5th year unless the AAV is very attractive.
Ag_07
AG
Do we really want Brantley back?

He was back to typical Uncle Mike things early this season then had the quad issue but really hasn't been the same since. I watched him run from 1B to 3B Saturday and he looked slow AF.

I have a feeling he may be on the verge of battling nagging injuries again.

And honestly Reddick is having a great year. Plus since he can play defense he may be the one to give a short deal to.

If it were up to me I'd pass on George (hurts to say) and Brantley, extend Correa, resign Yuli and Reddick to short deals, sign a FA OFer in the offseason to pair with Tucker/Reddick.
Deluxe
AG
Yea. Brantley might be more of a DH going forward and we already have one of those. And I think part of his appeal when we signed him a couple years ago was that he brought a dangerous lefty bat into a righty heavy lineup. Now we've got two other lefties who can mash (assuming Yordan can find sustainable health and Tucker keeps it up).

All about the price though. I'd probably still be ok sticking him in left field if he's not too expensive.
Marvin
AG
Ag_07 said:

Do we really want Brantley back?

He was back to typical Uncle Mike things early this season then had the quad issue but really hasn't been the same since. I watched him run from 1B to 3B Saturday and he looked slow AF.

I have a feeling he may be on the verge of battling nagging injuries again.

And honestly Reddick is having a great year. Plus since he can play defense he may be the one to give a short deal to.

If it were up to me I'd pass on George (hurts to say) and Brantley, extend Correa, resign Yuli and Reddick to short deals, sign a FA OFer in the offseason to pair with Tucker/Reddick.

I don't think I can ever get on board with Reddick over Brantley. Uncle Mike will have to break down like Pujols, and even then I'd look elsewhere to replace both.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
gougler08
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Lol, how convenient
Ag_07
AG
What a joke
First Page Last Page
Page 413 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.