****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,625,349 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-2020-trade-deadline-preview

Quote:

There's little doubt the Astros will make the playoffs at this point. They are firmly in second place in an American League West division in which the Rangers, Angels and Mariners are fading. The Astros could still run down the A's and win their fourth consecutive division title, but with the top two teams in each division making the postseason in 2020, a fourth straight postseason trip is on the horizon.

The Astros have been struck hard by injuries this year, and the timing of the recovery of some of their key players could play a role in how deep they can go in October. It will also impact what Houston does at the Aug. 31 Trade Deadline the first under new general manager James Click, whose team is in need of pitching, pitching and more pitching.

There's probably enough offense especially if third baseman Alex Bregman returns from his hamstring injury in September as hoped for the Astros to compete with anyone, but on the pitching side they've lost 2019 AL Cy Young winner Justin Verlander and 2019 AL saves leader Roberto Osuna to arm injuries. Verlander is throwing and could return. The bullpen has also lost veterans Chris Devenski, Brad Peacock and Austin Pruitt to injuries, as well as Joe Smith to the restricted list.

An important wrinkle to this year's Trade Deadline is that teams can only trade players who are part of their 60-man player pool (assigned either to the big-league team or the alternate site). Clubs are permitted to include players to be named later in trades, however. Additionally, scouts have not been allowed to attend games in person, so all assessments of prospects have been done based on provided video and data and past knowledge.

Buy/sell/hold: The Astros will be buyers in an attempt to land an experienced relief pitcher or two. While they've acquired Chase De Jong and Brooks Raley in the past few weeks, expect Houston to be on the hunt for more arms. Their desire for a starter could depend on whether Verlander is back but adding a reliever even a rental will be much easier than finding a starter who's better than what they have now. Youngsters Enoli Paredes and Blake Taylor look to be keepers in the bullpen and have done a nice job, but experience is needed.

What they want: With several of their veteran relievers racing to return from injuries in time for the second half of the season, the Astros will look to add more experienced bullpen help. All-Star setup man Ryan Pressly is the only one of the nine active relief pitchers on the Astros' roster who has postseason experience. Keep an eye on the Royals, who have three relievers with expiring contracts: Ian Kennedy, Greg Holland and Trevor Rosenthal. Rosenthal has been dominating this year and throws 100-mph and would be a great addition to the back of the bullpen, where Pressly has moved into the closer's role in Osuna's absence.

I'm a bit surprised by Tags' confidence that Click will make moves in the next few days. I hope he is able to get a big arm for the back of the bullpen though.
MaxPower
Look at Minor and see if Strom can get him into 2019 form?
W
AG
so the A's decided not to play today for social justice reasons.

and of course conveniently giving their bullpen a day off before facing the Astros.

and conveniently pushing their ace to Friday's game, so Houston faces the same 3 starters they did in Oakland
tjack16
AG
W said:

and of course conveniently giving their bullpen a day off before facing the Astros.

and conveniently pushing their ace to Friday's game, so Houston faces the same 3 starters they did in Oakland

Hoping the game happens tomorrow night ...
Mathguy64
AG
Are the A's forfeiting? They should. If both teams refuse to play call it a double forfeit.
W
AG
it's the same problem. No one will tell the athletes: "no"

zero consequences for their actions.

imagine the A's doing this before a game with a full crowd in attendance.

you know this is coming somewhere down the line
Mathguy64
AG
Imagine a team in the playoffs pulling this stunt to skip their #4 starter to get an extra day for today line up a #1. Surely no one would do that. No. No one would ever think of that.

They think we were cheating with a trashcan? Skipping a game and resetting your starters is blatant cheating with your whole lineup. And the As are doing it right in front of our eyes.
bearkatag15
AG

Really good job of picking up the slight difference in Tuck's swing
htxag09
AG
And he did that without a hitting coach!
07ag
AG
W said:

if we want to be the best, we've got to beat the best,, can't win the WS just beating up on the mariners
https://ts.la/eric59704
W
AG
hmmn, the A's postponement stunt makes Fiers one of the projected starters for the 4-game series vs. the Astros in the 2nd week of September.

but there is an off day next week that could allow the A's to skip him...don't be surprised

W
AG
the Yankees would disagree with that.

e.g. starting Cole in 7 of their first 26 games.

a team takes every advantage possible or available to them
MaxPower
Astros should sit out the game tomorrow so we can play the 3rd game when we are at full strength.
Ag_07
AG
Why are tweets not showing up?

This latest upgrade has been the complete opposite. Between pictures being flagged and tweets not showing up it was definitely a step backwards.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Why are tweets not showing up?

This latest upgrade has been the complete opposite. Between pictures being flagged and tweets not showing up it was definitely a step backwards.

Frustrating for me is when a tweet does show up, a lot of times the text in the post disappears after a few seconds. Really annoying and have to reload the page a few times before the text will stay on the screen.
W
AG
a good example this week of the randomness (or scariness) of the 3-game series playoff format...

the Mariners (13-20) strolled into San Diego and won 2 of 3 from the Padres (19-14).

the M's scored 23 runs vs. the SD pitching staff
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Exactly why I don't think there would or should be a bunch of trade activity. 3 game set is just too random
bearkatag15
AG

Get the brooms out fellas... I see a sweep in our favor
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Great, now compare the bullpen ERAs
Mathguy64
AG
Not just bullpen ERA. Look at the bullpen WHIP. The highest regular pen guy had a WHIP of 1.70. The rest are all hanging between 0.80 and 1.10. Ours Are all over the map from 1 to 1.8. I get they are still small samples but they are way worse. Our pen gives away walks like they are free candy bars at a Halloween party.
bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

bearkatag15 said:

Great, now compare the bullpen ERAs
Sure they have more depth, but going by ERA only here are the top 5 or 6 bullpen arms from each team.

Astros:
B. Taylor - 1.29
A. Scrubb - 0.69 (nice)
E. Paredes - 3.55
C. Sneed - 3.86 (I'm in no way saying he is a top bullpen arm)
C. Perez - 0.0 (only 2 innings so far but has looked good)
R. Pressly - 5.19 (this one looks bad so far but hopefully he turns it around)

Athletics:
L. Hendricks - 1.10
J. Soria - 1.23
Y. Petit - 2.08
T. McFarland - 0.71
J. Diekman - 0.00
L. Trivino - 3.38
J. Wendelken - 2.19

They obviously have much more depth but our top guys can match up with theirs. We just need our starters to go deep into games.

I added the entire pitching stats from baseball ref for each team. You are right, WHIP is higher but that's expected since their bullpen is better. It is what it is. Go get another late innings guy to replace Osuna and it looks a lot better. Sell high on Scrubb if you can find a buyer.
bearkatag15
AG
Also there is 0 excuse for why Brandon Bailey isn't on on the 28 man active roster for Biagini at this point.
Frok
AG
Still nothing on Verlander? Remember he was going to get evaluated in 2 weeks. Whatever happened to that?

tjack16
AG
Frok said:

Still nothing on Verlander? Remember he was going to get evaluated in 2 weeks. Whatever happened to that?

"Couple of weeks away"
Harry Dunne
Mathguy64 said:

Imagine a team in the playoffs pulling this stunt to skip their #4 starter to get an extra day for today line up a #1. Surely no one would do that. No. No one would ever think of that.

They think we were cheating with a trashcan? Skipping a game and resetting your starters is blatant cheating with your whole lineup. And the As are doing it right in front of our eyes.
We will probably never know, but I choose to believe that the players' motives for sitting were pure. How bad of a person would you have to be to say, "Hey let's pretend to care about this important cause just to get a slight advantage in a regular season series when we are a lock to make the playoffs anyway". Now did management see the advantage and encourage them? Absolutely - just like I'm sure the Rockets' front office was happy for Russ to get 2 extra days of rest.

We WERE cheating with a trashcan. Yes, much of the league was doing something similar, but it was blatant textbook systematic cheating. Even if Fiers is the mastermind behind the rotation reset, this is at worst a legal way to take advantage of a situation. Slimy, but not cheating at all.

IMO the best thing to do is just own our isht and move on. The organization caught a break during the steroid era when we were obviously a roid hub and came out mostly unscathed but never won a title. Then we did get a ring but caught a bad break on the sign stealing. That's life.
MaxPower
Harry Dunne said:

Mathguy64 said:

We will probably never know, but I choose to believe that the players' motives for sitting were pure. How bad of a person would you have to be to say, "Hey let's pretend to care about this important cause just to get a slight advantage in a regular season series when we are a lock to make the playoffs anyway". Now did management see the advantage and encourage them? Absolutely - just like I'm sure the Rockets' front office was happy for Russ to get 2 extra days of rest.

We WERE cheating with a trashcan. Yes, much of the league was doing something similar, but it was blatant textbook systematic cheating. Even if Fiers is the mastermind behind the rotation reset, this is at worst a legal way to take advantage of a situation. Slimy, but not cheating at all.

IMO the best thing to do is just own our isht and move on. The organization caught a break during the steroid era when we were obviously a roid hub and came out mostly unscathed but never won a title. Then we did get a ring but caught a bad break on the sign stealing. That's life.
Shut your mouth. Steve Finley and Luis Gonzalez are as pure as a fresh winter snow.
astros4545
AG
Frok said:

He threw 20 pitches off mound 3-4 days ago I thought
cc10106
"IMO the best thing to do is just own our isht and move on."

Good thing that already happened.
Harry Dunne
cc10106 said:

Did it?

Is that why comparing this to sign stealing immediately gets a ton of stars?

Beat40
Harry Dunne said:

cc10106 said:

Did it?

Is that why comparing this to sign stealing immediately gets a ton of stars?

The players have already owned it and moved on.

Fans hold grudges, worthy or not, for years. It's part of fandom.
Harry Dunne
I agree with that.

I should be more clear and say that I wish that we (on this forum) would move on.
redline248
AG
I need y'all to star more of my posts
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Both knees...wow
Deluxe
AG
Glad we're getting it done now and have him ready to go to start 2021. Hope the fact that he played 2 games this year doesn't effect his service time.
n_touch
Deluxe said:

Glad we're getting it done now and have him ready to go to start 2021. Hope the fact that he played 2 games this year doesn't effect his service time.
Thought his service time started from last year?
First Page Last Page
Page 399 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.