****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,602,433 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
cap-n-jack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Uncle Mike
tjack16
AG
Brantley is back!
mwm
Atta boy, Uncle Mike!
Mathguy64
AG
Sandoval can't stop muttering to himself.
jetch17
AG
Uncle
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I know Pujols is on his last leg, but if you had told me in 2005 after that moon shot that I'd still be seeing this guy against the Astros in 2020 I think I would have gone insane.
Mathguy64
AG
If we could just play the Angels and Mariners for the rest of the season...
W
AG
Reddick hitting like he wants to stay.

nice swing on the curve
tjack16
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I know Pujols is on his last leg, but if you had told me in 2005 after that moon shot that I'd still be seeing this guy against the Astros in 2020 I think I would have gone insane.

It's funny everybody talks about that homerun and act like it was one of the worst things in astros history.... but we won that series the next game to clinch our first pennant.

I just think it's odd that the Pujols HR is what everybody remembers from that NLCS
linkdude
AG
10/32 remaining games. Pretty close.

Edit: 20/32 remaining, including the Rangers.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
It's like Carlton Fisk's HR in the 75 WS.
Mathguy64
AG
Walk of shame. Can't even be trusted to get mayfield out.
tjack16
AG
Yep. I'll be honest, I dont remember the actual game 6 of the NLCS at all besides the celebration ... but I remember that Pujols game 5 HR vividly
Farmer1906
AG
Just think what this years line up / roster could have been.

Springer
Altuve
Bregman
Alvarez
Correa
Brantley
Gurriel
Tucker
Machete

Bench
Reddick
Diaz
Straw (PR only)
Jones
Garneau
Bulldog73
AG
Isn't that what kind of broke Lidge though? The way I remember, Lidge was in the upper tier of closers and after the moonshot, he was never even close to the same. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.
Farmer1906
AG
Agreed. Roy O went out there and pitched well on his way to a new tractor.
Mathguy64
AG
And that HR broke Lidge like a 5 year old breaks a piggy bank. In little bitty pieces.
bearkatag15
AG
Bulldog73 said:

Isn't that what kind of broke Lidge though? The way I remember, Lidge was in the upper tier of closers and after the moonshot, he was never even close to the same. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.
He was bad for Houston after that but he had another elite season with Philly
Farmer1906
AG
Bulldog73 said:

He was never the same for us. He went on to have his best year ever in Philly. Hall of very good as far as closers go.
W
AG
Pujols is on his second to last leg.

he'll be back next year to cash $30 MM worth of checks.

it's another problem with long-term contracts to old guys...they won't retire
Farmer1906
AG
I wouldn't either.
Harry Dunne
Mayfield now batting .091

Mathguy64
AG
Framber covering there is ironic.
Harry Dunne
astros4545 said:

Guys

I'm Starting to feeling tingly about Framber
You've got a Framboner
Mathguy64
AG
We let more guys with craptastic numbers hit HRs.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
tjack16 said:

Yep. I'll be honest, I dont remember the actual game 6 of the NLCS at all besides the celebration ... but I remember that Pujols game 5 HR vividly

Game 6 was at STL and from a baseball standpoint was a ho-hum affair. Oswalt destroyed St. Louis's lineup 7 innings, 3 hits (only one for extra bases), 1 run, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts.

They started Mark Mulder and he put the first six guys down in a row then the Astros' version of the Bash Brothers - Brad Ausmus and Adam Everett - started the 3rd with back-to-back singles, Roy O bunted them over, and Mulder threw a wild pitch to get Aumus home and Biggio singled to score Everett and make it 2-0.

Jason Lane went yard off Mulder in the third and the Cards didn't even have a hit until they scored on a sac fly to make it 3-1 in the 5th.

Then it was the Bash Brothers up again - in the top of the 6th Burke singled, Ausmus singled and Burke took third. Then Everett slapped a bunt and Burke scored. Adam Everett suddenly turned into Jeter for a game. Ensberg drove in Biggio with a single in the 7th to make it 5-1. Pujols was 0-4.

That last out, which was a lazy fly ball to right caught by Jason Lane, left me feeling the same way I did when the Rockets won their first title in 94 - that feeling of - wait, you mean the other team isn't going to come back and crush my soul? WTF do I do now?

R-Dog
AG
I know on average the ballparks in the '80s were bigger but crap...I swear I didn't see an opposite field home run the entire decade. Now you can see one almost every night.
jakeaggie84
AG
They missed Altuve's 3 hr's in game 1 of 2017 alds vs the Red Sox. I was there. Awesome to see little guy do that!
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
jakeaggie84 said:

They missed Altuve's 3 hr's in game 1 of 2017 alds vs the Red Sox. I was there. Awesome to see little guy do that!

I thought it was only 2?
tjack16
AG
Rangers 3 - As 2 in the 9th
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Nope it was 3. My bad team.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
R-Dog said:

I know on average the ballparks in the '80s were bigger but crap...I swear I didn't see an opposite field home run the entire decade. Now you can see one almost every night.
In 1979, Jose Cruz led the Astros with 9 home runs on the year. The team hit 49 for the year. They had more triples (52) than homers.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Easiest name that astro of all timezzzzz
Farmer1906
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

jakeaggie84 said:

I thought it was only 2?

I think it was 2 off Sale.
W
AG
R-Dog said:

very true
First Page Last Page
Page 384 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.