****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,625,938 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yes to Scrubb and no to Paredes.

and if the front office thinks the team is just 1 hitter away from reaching the WS...I would offer Taylor
bearkatag15
AG
W said:

and if the front office thinks the team is just 1 hitter away from reaching the WS...I would offer Taylor
Could you imagine... Turning Tyler White into maybe 1.5 years of good Mitch Mooreland... that's winning
MaxPower
There's a rumor the Giants might be willing to move Yastrzemski because he's already 29 and will be past his prime when the Giants are good again I don't know where he plays this year but he would certainly help a lot next year with all the OF free agents. The Giants would have to still believe in Whitley because we don't have much ammo.
Deluxe
AG
I doubt we trade anyone who is helping us now (ie Scrubb, Parades or Taylor) for a bat. Obviously our farm is a little depleted right now, especially in terms of elite prospects, but we've still got enough solid prospects to flip 1-2 for some help... if we think we've got a shot this year. Hopefully we know whether or not JV will be back this year before the deadline. To me, that's the crucial decision point.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
bearkatag15 said:

W said:

Could you imagine... Turning Tyler White into maybe 1.5 years of good Mitch Mooreland... that's winning
Turning Tyler White into a $10 gift certificate to Best Buy is winning.
Farmer1906
AG
I cannot see us making any moves.

Is Moreland or anyone similar going to really make a difference this year if we're down guys like Alvarez, Springer, Verlander?
Big Al 1992
AG
That's pretty good. Without JV, Urquidy and Osuna.

Marvin
AG
MaxPower said:

There's a rumor the Giants might be willing to move Yastrzemski because he's already 29 and will be past his prime when the Giants are good again I don't know where he plays this year but he would certainly help a lot next year with all the OF free agents. The Giants would have to still believe in Whitley because we don't have much ammo.

I don't know enough to comment on Yaz Jr, but I'd sell as high on Whitley as I could right now. I'm 10x higher on Tucker than I am Whitley.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Marvin
AG
W said:

after today's game, the Astros are up to #4 in MLB in team ERA at 3.41

however the Astros are down to #23 in MLB in OPS at .710

go figure

If this has been posed as separate questions in the off-season, we would have lost our minds in both directions:

The Astros reach the 1/3 schedule mark with the 4th best pitching- without contributions from Verlander, Osuna, Peacock or Urquidy yet, what is your response? WORLD SERIES, BABY!!!

The Astros reach the 1/3 schedule mark with the 23rd OPS offense and no Verlander, Osuna, Peacock or Urquidy yet, what is your response? SELL, MORTIMER, SELL!!!

And as it is collectively, neither are true. It really speaks to the pitching depth that Luhnow collected. He's a gift that, for now, keeps on giving.

Ag_07
AG
Yes JL found these guys but Brent MFin Strom continues to coach these guys up and work absolute wonders.

I don't know enough about other pitching coaches and what they've accomplished but if Stromie isn't considered the best pitching coach in MLB I'd like to see who is.

He seriously needs a lifetime contract.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I cannot see us making any moves.

Is Moreland or anyone similar going to really make a difference this year if we're down guys like Alvarez, Springer, Verlander?
JV and Urquidy are the keys here IMO. We get those two back and we're in business. Don't really even care how the offense is performing. If we go into the playoffs with JV and Urquidy rounding out the rotation w Greinke and McCullers, all of a sudden Valdez and Bielak become very good bridge guys and we can carve out a high lev, multi-inning role for Javier. Mix in Paredes, Taylor and Press and our staff is starting to look like the Rays last year. We'll have tons of looks to throw at opposing offenses, can ride hot hands, and never let opposing teams see a pitcher more than twice (except JV/Greinke). Click might be salivating a little at this possibility.

I'd love to have all our bats back for October but IMO that's less important. There were only two hitters on the Nats I was scared of last year. I wasn't scared of any Rays hitters and they almost beat us. Our offense was elite all year and got shut down by some really good playoff pitching. Playoffs just comes down to who gets the timely clutch hits.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Playoffs are largely a crapshoot. 3 game playoff series are damn near a total crapshoot.

Just get there, hope you're hot, and ride the wave.

I don't see any teams making moves for players on the last year of their contracts solely because of the randomness of a 3 game series.

Really unfortunate, IMO, that MLB went that route.
Deluxe
AG
Yea, I forgot about the three game series aspect. Makes it much less worthwhile to make a big "win now" move.
Farmer1906
AG
The 3 games series might be worse than the extra-inning rule.
Ag_07
AG
I really have no idea how this trade deadline is gonna shake out.

On one hand you may see fringe/surprise teams who have a shot at the playoffs based on the new format strike while the iron is hot. Maybe they see this year as their shot and look to bolster up and make a run.

Then on the other hand reduced revenues and wackiness of this short season may have teams not ready to move or acquire pieces and a bit gun shy to make moves.

It's going to be really interesting to see what goes down.
irish pete ag06
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yes JL found these guys but Brent MFin Strom continues to coach these guys up and work absolute wonders.

I don't know enough about other pitching coaches and what they've accomplished but if Stromie isn't considered the best pitching coach in MLB I'd like to see who is.

Strom is a legend.
Marvin
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Ag_07 said:

Strom is a legend.

Agreed, but Strom can only do so much. He hasn't fixed Devo's issues, and Sneed is trending in the same direction. I'm not bashing the job Strom has done- I'm a cult member myself, and agree that we should keep him until he retires.

Maybe this is a chicken-and-egg scenario. I just wanted to point out that Luhnow did a hell of a job finding all these kids.
redline248
AG
I think Lunhow and his group did an excellent job coming up with a system that works at the MLB level, finding guys that can succed in that system, and Strom has done a great job teaching these guys to use the system. It has been a complete organizational win for Astros pitchers. I don't know why free agent pitchers wouldn't be lining up to sign with the Astros. Maybe they are
Farmer1906
AG

W
AG
MaxPower said:

Yaz would be a good pickup, but also incredibly expensive because his new team would have 4+ years of control.

he's also a hard luck case with regard to the CBA and free agency. He will never make big money since he will be 34 or 35 when he first becomes a free agent. Maybe the new CBA will correct this and let the late bloomers reach free agency after just 2 or 3 years of MLB service
Farmer1906
AG
Mr.Ackar07
Marvin said:

irish pete ag06 said:

Ag_07 said:

Strom is a legend.

Agreed, but Strom can only do so much. He hasn't fixed Devo's issues, and Sneed is trending in the same direction. I'm not bashing the job Strom has done- I'm a cult member myself, and agree that we should keep him until he retires.

Maybe this is a chicken-and-egg scenario. I just wanted to point out that Luhnow did a hell of a job finding all these kids.
Seems to have worked for Brooks Raley. 4 runs in 4 innings with the Reds, and one solo HR in 4.1 innings for the Astros.
Charlie Conway
Dusty was just on 790 and said Yordan might be done for the year
gougler08
AG
Charlie Conway said:

W
AG
what's the cell number for the Red Sox' GM?
W
AG
and get Reddick's agent on line 1
Mr.Bond
AG
Charlie Conway said:

What in the **** could he have done??
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Farmer1906
AG
Charlie Conway said:

Tomorrow he'll be day to day.

The next day he'll on the 45 day IL

And then next week he'll be back in the line up.
Ag_07
AG
Can we find a doctor who can transplant Diaz's knees onto Yordan?

He's useless anyways the least we can do is part him out as long as it's not a soft tissue injury.
W
AG
so the Astros will roll with 4 for 34 Toro at DH until further notice
redline248
AG
W said:

so the Astros will roll with 4 for 34 Toro at DH until further notice
Time to let that Taylor Jones kid have another shot?
Texaggie7nine
Charlie Conway said:

7nine
bearkatag15
AG
He can have my knee...
W
AG
Coors Field is not a bad place to start
Ag12thman
AG
I thought the past couple of games were in Houston. Is it at Coors Field today?

2 in Houston followed by 2 in Colorado?
First Page Last Page
Page 338 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.