****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,626,549 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

Astros up to #5 in team ERA (in MLB) at 3.59

just behind the A's with 3.55 ERA
Thank you Brent Strom
W
AG
checking the AL playoff picture...

with the Red Sox (6-17) falling apart and the Angels (8-15) floundering...this means 2 'surprise' teams are going to make the playoffs among the:

Rangers, Tigers, White Sox, Blue Jays, and Orioles.

2016 was the last playoff appearance for the Rangers, Blue Jays, and Orioles (lost wildcard game).

2014 was the Tigers last appearance. The White Sox haven't been to the postseason since 2008
bearkatag15
AG
I'm rooting for the blue jays
Agmaniacmike12
Would like to see the White Sox and Orioles make it.
Johnsy3
AG
Y'all see this? Tatis Jr hits a grand slam on a 3-0 count and the Rangers get pissed and throw behind Machado. Pitch better, then.

https://bdata-producedclips.mlb.com/3bffa844-fee2-491f-b414-39c6394d8572.mp4

https://streamable.com/o01pah

Tatis ended up apologizing after the game
Buck Compton
AG
What did he apologize for?? It's not like he was pimping that thing unless there's more footage I didn't see...
Thinice
Probably because it was a 3-0 count with bases loaded, up 10-3 in 8th.

Suck it Rangers.
txislandag86
Ah yes, more of the unwritten rules. Don't swing at 3-0 pitches when your team is up by 7 runs. And I see the catchers are still giving multiple signs when a runner is on second, and all the catchers still look at the batters eyes before flashing signs to make sure batter is not peaking. This would suggest to me that teams are still trying to steal signs but I guess there is a right way to cheat written in the unwritten rule book.
Buck Compton
AG
Thinice said:

Suck it Rangers.
Well then the Rangers are even weaker-minded than I thought... if they had come back to win 11-10 or something they would've been singing from the mountain tops. Play til it's over.

Don't want a GS hit off you in the 8th? Pitch better.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I'm a big unwritten rules guy, but any "rule" that keeps a guy from doing his job (ie hitting the ball) is BS.
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
This is why "the unwritten rules" of baseball generally suck. Most of them center on not hurting the other teams feelings, which is ridiculous. I'll gladly take a 10 run loss if I'm still getting paid to play baseball.

If you are embarrassed about losing badly, play better. Maybe some embarrassment will motivate you to try harder. That or petition MLB to make a run-rule like in high school, up by 10 runs after 7 innings and the game is over.

The only reason to not swing in that situation would be if the Rangers had conceded the game and put in their backup catcher or RF to pitch. At that point the game is over, and lets just end it quickly.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I would argue that it would be more Bush league to take a walk there and walk in a run.

Putting the ball in play at least gives the other team a chance.
Bulldog73
AG
What about a bunt for a hit in the 8th of a no-no? Personally, I'm still fine with it, because the batter's job is to get on base, but I remember that being a big hullabaloo several years back.
Farmer1906
AG
Thinice said:

Suck it Rangers.
That is a complete ***** move by Arlington.

Farmer1906
AG
Bulldog73 said:

What about a bunt for a hit in the 8th of a no-no? Personally, I'm still fine with it, because the batter's job is to get on base, but I remember that being a big hullabaloo several years back.
Depends on the score. If the no-hit team is down by like 10 then don't try to ruin a guy's special day by something outside the norm. If the game is anywhere close then you get on base however you can.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Bulldog73 said:

IMO depends on the score. Down 3 or less, do what it takes to get on base.
Deluxe
AG
Updated Astros young pitcher power rankings (previous ranking):

Crazy To Imagine Where We'd Be Right Now Without
1. Christian Javier (1)
2. Brandon Bielak (7)
3. Framber Valdez (4)

Hurry Up
4. Jose Urquidy (2)

Turning Into Reliable-ish Bullpen Options
5. Blake Taylor (3)
6. Enoli Paredes (6)
7. Andre Scrubb (9)

Ugh
8. Josh James (5)
9. Cy Sneed (10)

Wouldn't Mind Seeing More Of
10. Brandon Bailey (13)
11. Humberto Castallanos (11)

Probly Not Gonna Happen This Year
12. Bryan Abreu (8)
13. Nivaldo Rodriguez (12)
14. Carlos Sanabria (14)
n_touch
HerschelwoodHardhead said:

This is why "the unwritten rules" of baseball generally suck. Most of them center on not hurting the other teams feelings, which is ridiculous. I'll gladly take a 10 run loss if I'm still getting paid to play baseball.

If you are embarrassed about losing badly, play better. Maybe some embarrassment will motivate you to try harder. That or petition MLB to make a run-rule like in high school, up by 10 runs after 7 innings and the game is over.

The only reason to not swing in that situation would be if the Rangers had conceded the game and put in their backup catcher or RF to pitch. At that point the game is over, and lets just end it quickly.
Its 2020 sounds like a good idea
expresswrittenconsent
The unwritten rules suck because the game has no clock. In football and (to a lesser extent) hoops, there can be real points where the game is over (down 30 with 2 min left).
Beat40
expresswrittenconsent said:

The unwritten rules suck because the game has no clock. In football and (to a lesser extent) hoops, there can be real points where the game is over (down 30 with 2 min left).

Plus, there's been at least one game this season where a team came back to tie when they were down 7-10 runs or a margin like that.
astros4545
AG
Deluxe said:

Updated Astros young pitcher power rankings (previous ranking):

Crazy To Imagine Where We'd Be Right Now Without
1. Christian Javier (1). 1
2. Brandon Bielak (7). 5
3. Framber Valdez (4) 3

Hurry Up
4. Jose Urquidy (2) 2

Turning Into Reliable-ish Bullpen Options
5. Blake Taylor (3). 6
6. Enoli Paredes (6). 4
7. Andre Scrubb (9). 8

Ugh
8. Josh James (5). 7
9. Cy Sneed (10)

Wouldn't Mind Seeing More Of
10. Brandon Bailey (13). 10
11. Humberto Castallanos (11)

Probly Not Gonna Happen This Year
12. Bryan Abreu (8). 9
13. Nivaldo Rodriguez (12)
14. Carlos Sanabria (14)

Added my rankings for top 10, I really would consider Framber as number 2 even. Really excited by what he's doing right now
Deluxe
AG
Good stuff. I might have a little bit of recency bias placing Bielak so high. Just been very impressed by him. Love his demeanor out there. And agreed re: Framber.
Farmer1906
AG
Let's add some #s to this.

1. Christian Javier - 0.83 WHIP, 2.91 ERA, 4.55 FIP, 4.53 xFIP
2. Brandon Bielak - 1.13 WHIP, 1.69 ERA, 4.48 FIP, 5.21 xFIP
3. Framber Valdez - 1.10 WHIP, 1.90 ERA, 2.53 FIP, 2.98 xFIP
4. Jose Urquidy - NA
5. Blake Taylor - 1.03 WHIP, 1.54 ERA, 3.46 FIP, 4.38 xFIP
6. Enoli Paredes - 1.67 WHIP, 3.00 ERA, 3.23 FIP, 4.77 xFIP
7. Andre Scrubb - 1.55 WHIP, 0.00 ERA, 4.36 FIP, 6.20 xFIP
8. Josh James - 2.38 WHIP, 11.17 ERA, 10.15 FIP, 7.44 xFIP
9. Cy Sneed - 2.22 WHIP, 5.87 ERA, 4.95 FIP, 7.38 xFIP
10. Brandon Bailey - 1.23 WHIP, 2.45 ERA, 5.44 FIP, 6.63 xFIP

League Average - 4.46 ERA/FIP/xFIP

Uh oh.... I have some bad news for everyone. Outside of Framber and maybe Taylor & Paredes, there will be some correction coming. But we knew this right. Our stable of rookies aren't a bunch fo Cy Young level guys right off the bat.

Beat40
Agreed. I'm just looking for them to bridge the gap until we can get guys like Urquidy and Peacock back.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Bialek is a true pitcher. Doesn't have great stuff, nothing overpowering, but he goes out there and challenges guys and gets em out.

He's the anti-Josh James.
Farmer1906
AG
Well, they're doing that and then some. I would argue they're carrying this team.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Some definite correction coming, but it's been great to win these pitching duels while the bats have been asleep.
bearkatag15
AG
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

Our stable of rookies aren't a bunch fo Cy Young level guys right off the bat.

Raise your hand if you disagree

MaxPower
Bielak is smoke and mirrors. We don't want to rely on him much longer. Javier is due for regression but the talent is real so he is worth sticking out for developmental purposes.

I'm pretty shocked by Framber right now. The stuff is great but he's never put it together, even against weak minor league talent. Hopefully he has turned a corner with Strom and is confident in pounding the zone and letting the stiff do the talking.
Farmer1906
AG
Lets not completely **** on him. He's got decent velo (~94 on avg) and has a 5 pitch mix. So far he's done a great job limiting hard-hit ball and inducing soft contact.
W
AG
recall that Yuli took some heat a few years ago for taking a big hack on 3-0 late in a blowout game.

and Hinch had to explain the unwritten rule to him after the game. The opposing dugout was upset
Ag_07
AG
Man I think Bielak and Javier are the ones I'm confident in having some staying power.

Bielak just has a presence about him. He goes out there with a plan and executes it. Not flashy but just good steady work.
tjack16
AG
W said:

recall that Yuli took some heat a few years ago for taking a big hack on 3-0 late in a blowout game.

and Hinch had to explain the unwritten rule to him after the game. The opposing dugout was upset

Most unwritten rules of baseball are stupid. If you don't like it don't go down 3-0

I hate the concept that hitters work themselves into a good favorable count are supposed to just sit there and take the next pitch.
The Milkman
AG
And don't load the bases prior to going down 3-0
First Page Last Page
Page 325 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.