****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,602,960 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wouldn't be surprised if we're staring at Stubbs catching for awhile while Garneau and Machete are suspended.
Mathguy64
AG
Manfred should send Garneau a medal for stopping Laureano.
tjack16
AG

Thankful we got Greinke instead of him. I remember he was a trade candidate for us last year
Mathguy64
AG
If you are hurt and on the iL are you really "opting out"?
Mathguy64
AG
Joe Kelly just got put on the IL with shoulder inflammation. Doing all the heavy lifting for carrying the Dodgers whining must have finally broken him.

Best part is he's on the IL can still has a suspension looming.
Cromagnum
AG
bluefire579 said:

This is neat. The pirates are sending balls to the folks if they land in their seat.

Thats a nice touch.
Ag_07
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I agree but I still think we lose both Maldonado and Garneau maybe even more

One thing to think about is suspensions for violation of social distancing protocols and not just the normal fighting suspensions.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Joe Kelly just got put on the IL with shoulder inflammation. Doing all the heavy lifting for carrying the Dodgers whining must have finally broken him.

Best part is he's on the IL can still has a suspension looming.
Wouldn't they just bring him off the IL early and let him finish rehab while suspended.
Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

Mathguy64 said:

One thing to think about is suspensions for violation of social distancing protocols and not just the normal fighting suspensions.

Then Chapman and Olson would both get it too. They were there fast. And most of the A's ran over too.
bearkatag15
AG
As well as their catcher who was kicked out of the rest of the game. Their whole infield minus kemp could be suspended.
agproducer
AG
And, national media is still perpetuating the narrative the Astros are still villains. Yahoo Sports is the latest -- claiming Cintron instigated the brawl. I grabbed the copy below so we don't give that kind of **** clicks.

"Who is Alex Cintrn, the Astros hitting coach who instigated brawl with the A's?

The Houston Astros have a number of villains on their roster whose names baseball fans know, but on Sunday the spotlight centered on one whose name might not be so familiar Alex Cintrn.
Cintrn has been an Astros coach since 2017, becoming their hitting coach last year. He was the guy in the Astros dugout seen taunting Oakland Athletics outfielder Ramn Laureano before Sunday's brawl between the two teams. Laureano had been hit twice Sunday by Astros pitchers and was angry the second time. After a bit of jawing as Laureano took his base, Cintrn said something to him and motioned for him to bring it on.
Laureano rushed the Astros dugout. Cintrn was then seen behind a row of Astros as chaos broke out on the field. Laureano will surely be suspended. MLB set clear expectations at the start of the season about this sort of thing during a coronavirus-shortened season. Socially distanced baseball can't have bench-clearing brawls.
But a lot of the conversation has also centered on Cintrn who, as a coach, should probably know better than to escalate a situation like this. He's likely to get a sizable suspension too. If Joe Kelly of the Dodgers got eight games for taunting the Astros and throwing pitches near the heads (but not hitting) two Astros hitters, well, this has to be worse in MLB's eyes.
While we await word on punishments, there's been plenty of eyes on Cintrn's past specifically for his role in the Astros' cheating scandal and an incident with the Yankees in last year's playoffs.

A brawl broke out between the A's and Astros Sunday after Ramon Laureano charged Alex Cintrn in the Astros dugout. (Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images)
Alex Cintrn's role in Astros cheating scandal
Before he became an Astros coach, Cintrn had a familiar path: He played parts of nine seasons in the big leagues with the Diamondbacks, White Sox, Orioles and Nationals. He wasn't a great player the highlight of his career was hitting .317 with 13 homers in 2003 for the D-backs but worked his way up the Astros coaching tree. He started out as an assistant coach, translator and advance scout in 2017. He was promoted after the 2018 season to his current role as hitting coach.
It's 2017 that's most interesting because that's when the Astros cheating scheme took place. While he didn't get as many headlines as Carlos Beltran or Alex Cora, Cintrn was also very involved, according to the Wall Street Journal's reporting.
The Astros' system dubbed "Codebreaker" was discussed by Tom Koch-Weser, an Astros analyst who creates advance reports on opposing teams, in an email obtained by the Journal. In the e-mail, Koch-Weser specifically names Cintrn as part of the scheme. From the Codebreaker article:
Quote:

"I don't want to electronically correspond too much about 'the system' but Cora/Cintron/Beltran have been driving a culture initiated by Bregman/Vigoa last year and I think it's working," Koch-Weser wrote. "I have no proof that it has worked, but we get real good dope on pitchers tipping and being lazy. That information, if it's not already, will eventually yield major results in our favor once players get used to the implementation." (Alex Cintrn was an Astros assistant coach in 2017 and is now their hitting coach. He was believed to be involved in transmitting information from the video room to the dugout, a person familiar said.)
Like Astros players, Cintrn was never punished for his role in the cheating scheme. He kept his job as Astros hitting coach even after manager A.J. Hinch was suspended, then fired and the Astros brought in Dusty Baker as manager.

Astros hitting coach Alex Cintron, center, has been in the middle of three controversies. (Photo by John McCoy/Getty Images)
Alex Cintrn's previous beef with the Yankees
The A's aren't the only team who don't like Cintrn. If you recall the 2019 ALCS, the Yankees and Astros were quite angry at each other, with accusations of whistling and sign-stealing hurled the Astros' way before the 2017 scandal was even uncovered.
In Game 1 of that series, things got heated between Cintrn and Yankees third-base coach Phil Nevin. According to SNY, Cintrn flipped off Nevin and Nevin responded by telling Alex Bregman, "Tell your f---ing hitting coach I'm going to kick his f---ing ass."
At that point, some in baseball circles already had Cintrn pegged as part of the Astros' cheating ring. While the Astros were cleared by MLB of the whistling allegations last postseason, that didn't mean the Yankees believed them. As SNY wrote at the time, "The Yankees believed that their ALCS opponent was cheating, and that, according to a source, Cintrn was the one whistling to batters."
That's three Astros controversies that Cintrn has been involved in but this is the first time he's been one of the primary characters. It's likely to be the first time he's punished by the league too."
agproducer
AG
Still waiting on the Yankees letter reveal....
Beat40
agproducer said:

Don't think we're ever going to get it. Manfred is overjoyed with how all of this played out.
bluefire579
AG
agproducer said:

Going to be a while, may as well get comfortable

Farmer1906
AG
Stro opts out due to Covid concerns.

But...
Ag_07
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Ag_07 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Then Chapman and Olson would both get it too. They were there fast. And most of the A's ran over too.

Also agree here too

I just find it hard to believe they'll only suspend Laureno and Cintron.
W
AG
the Mets seemed to be cursed...or they just make one bad personnel decision after the other
Deluxe
AG
agproducer said:

The Astros should announce full resumption of sign relaying activities until the Yankee letter is released.
W
AG
Stroman is a free agent now (after the season). But buyer beware.

he comes across as a guy that is primarily on Team Marcus
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Dusty getting fed up with Chandler's schtick
Teddy Perkins
AG

Springer still out blows.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
bluefire579 said:

This is neat. The pirates are sending balls to the folks if they land in their seat.

I got a different one sent to me.

Ag_07
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Dusty getting fed up with Chandler's schtick

Love it

Blue star for Dusty
Teddy Perkins
AG
Teddy Perkins
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Because his hand stuck in the ****ty fake stuff in Arizona.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Time to call it, Cards.

W
AG
yes, it's time to pull the plug on the Cardinals' season.

question...should the 5 games played be pulled from the standings / W-L record of their opponent?
Teddy Perkins
AG
Teddy Perkins
AG
Chandler getting moved off the Stros? One can hope.

redline248
AG
I hope so, but could just be a night off
Ag_07
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Mathguy64
AG
W said:

yes, it's time to pull the plug on the Cardinals' season.

question...should the 5 games played be pulled from the standings / W-L record of their opponent?

To be fair to the other teams they didn't play? Yes.
YNWA_AG
AG
Looking at fangraphs today his number are pretty much in sync besides contact out of the zone. Just a historically low babip
tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

Teddy Perkins said:

Christmas coming early this year?
First Page Last Page
Page 254 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.