****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,625,803 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
tjack16
AG
You can tell Correa wants to be an Astro. The way he talked this offseason and has stood up for guys proves that. I hope we extend him
bearkatag15
AG
I'm onboard at this point.

W
AG
6 years...$180 MM.

would he take it?

(under contract thru 2027 then)
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
W said:

6 years...$180 MM.

would he take it?

(under contract thru 2027 then)

What does that buy out, his last year of arbitration or two? Then first few of FA....I don't think he signs that
W
AG
that's right.

would have to be 7 years at $210 MM to extend him to 2027.

and eliminate his arbitration year.

he's only making $8MM (pro-rated) this year, so a sudden jump to $30 MM in 2021...he might go for that
W
AG
perhaps surprising...but thanks to the COVID...

Correa's career earnings will only be around $11 MM after 6 seasons in the bigs
W
AG
and the Astros are now tied with the Indians for the most hit batters (9) in the American League.

sportswriters...get those columns updated for Thursday's edition
07ag
AG
W said:

perhaps surprising...but thanks to the COVID...

Correa's career earnings will only be around $11 MM after 6 seasons in the bigs
also got a 4.8 million bonus being drafted 1/1
https://ts.la/eric59704
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
tjack16 said:

Ag_07 said:

Correa is a man in a mission and I don't know if it's to prove haters wrong or earning that next contract but IDGAF.

He had plenty of haters on this board coming into the year. Crow is being served

No one thinks he can't play, he just can't stay healthy. This is a normal season for Correa, 60 games long then the playoffs.
Harry Dunne
That's exactly right. I posted last night during his last AB he had a check swing and winced and I had that terrible feeling that he was going to be out for the season with some arbitrary injury.

Last year some folks were talking about moving him to 3B to protect him, but you can't move him when he has so much value with his glove and arm... and he's always going to have to bat and run the bases and he has had plenty of injuries doing that as well.

I know there's a great chance it would come back and bite us but I would not extend him. The only way I would feel remotely comfortable signing to a long-term deal for market value or close to it is if he made it through this half a season and all of next season healthy, but I realize at that point if we haven't made our move there's going to be some bitterness and he'll sign for $1 billion with the Yankees.
TXAG14
E
AG
But yet the twitter world only sees Bergmans, Altuves, and Springers crappy batting averages and y'all about how they need to cheat in order to hit...
Deluxe
AG
If there was an expansion draft tomorrow and the Astros could only protect 5 of the following pitchers, who would you protect?

Urquidy, Abreu, Javier, B Taylor, Paredes, Sneed, Bielak, Valdez, James, N Rodriguez, Scrubb, Bailey, Whitley
tjack16
AG
Deluxe said:

If there was an expansion draft tomorrow and the Astros could only protect 5 of the following pitchers, who would you protect?

Urquidy, Abreu, Javier, B Taylor, Paredes, Sneed, Bielak, Valdez, James, N Rodriguez, Scrubb, Bailey, Whitley

Urquidy, Javier, Taylor, Paredes, and James

That's tough though
Ag_07
AG
Deluxe said:

I'm done with James and I'd hate to let Whitley depart for nothing
Farmer1906
AG
E said:

But yet the twitter world only sees Bergmans, Altuves, and Springers crappy batting averages and y'all about how they need to cheat in order to hit...
Deluxe
AG
tjack16 said:

Deluxe said:

Urquidy, Javier, Taylor, Paredes, and James

That's tough though
Yea, it's a tough exercise that's getting tougher. I was mostly just curious what everyone's pecking order is of our young pitchers.

I'd probably go Urquidy, Javier, Taylor, Paredes and (ugh) Whitley. First three out would be Abreu, Bielak and Valdez.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Screw you, man. This was difficult.

I am basing it off of stuff and potential.
Ag_07
AG
Although Framber's performance the other day is promising if he can figure out the walk issue.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Deluxe
AG
I guess the Astros young pitcher pecking order* right now is something like this:

1. Urquidy
2. Javier
3. Parades
4. B Taylor
5. Whitley
6. Abreu
7. James
8. Valdez
9. Bielak
10. Sneed
11. Scrubb
12. Bailey
13. N Rodriguez

*based on a variety of factors like potential, stuff, current value, etc.
Big Al 1992
AG
Good article. McTaggart has been great this season.
Beat40
E said:

And Bregman and Springer may be really coming around. George has had a pretty good last couple of games.I think the media crying will subdue some once their BAs are above .270, but the fans will just cry more.

They guy I really want to get going is Altuve. I want him back up at .300 because he's getting unfairly lumped into the needed a trash can to hit conversation with all the data says otherwise.
Mathguy64
AG
Right now, based on the limited eye test of two weeks I'm saying: Urquidy, Framber, Paredes, Javier and Taylor. I just can't put Whitley on a list like this when he's either injured or can't keep himself out of trouble. Not with only 5 spots.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Deluxe said:

I guess the Astros young pitcher pecking order* right now is something like this:

1. Urquidy
2. Javier
3. Parades
4. B Taylor
5. Whitley
6. Abreu
7. James
8. Valdez
9. Bielak
10. Sneed
11. Scrubb
12. Bailey
13. N Rodriguez

I don't see how anyone can put James above Valdez. Similar control issues but stuff wise Valdez is better I think
Deluxe
AG
I agree hundo percent. Was trying to factor in the votes received above.
Marvin
AG
Harry Dunne said:

That's exactly right. I posted last night during his last AB he had a check swing and winced and I had that terrible feeling that he was going to be out for the season with some arbitrary injury.

I thought the same thing after his leaping catch in the 9th. He looked a little stiff walking off the field. I look forward to seeing him in the lineup this evening and quieting all us Nancies.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Farmer1906
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Deluxe said:

1. Urquidy
2. Javier
3. Parades
4. B Taylor
5. Whitley
6. Abreu
7. James
8. Valdez
9. Bielak
10. Sneed
11. Scrubb
12. Bailey
13. N Rodriguez

I don't see how anyone can put James above Valdez. Similar control issues but stuff wise Valdez is better I think
Gotta disagree here.

James brings the gas and his change up and slider move well above avg.

Framber does have a nice curve (lots of spin) and his sinker aint bad.
Marvin
AG
Ag_07 said:

Deluxe said:

I'm done with James and I'd hate to let Whitley depart for nothing

Question about Whitley... maybe I'm forming an unjust opinion, but has he shown the desire to be great? All I really get is a Meat vibe and no semblance of a Max Scherzer or Justin Verlander type of killer mentality.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Ag_07
AG
James may have the better stuff but I'm not sold on his mental fortitude.

He always seems very unsure of himself, not confident, and unable to buckle down and dig himself out of a tough spot.

In the end I think that's what is holding James back.
Mathguy64
AG
I'm not sure James has the stuff to be starting. His changeup is fantastic and paired with his fastball he's definitely someone you hate to lose but In not sure he can harness it for more than an inning or two at a time. He's a pen arm to me more than a starter. Or maybe I should say an opening starter. And with Click we may end up with an opener style spot in the rotation.
Farmer1906
AG
I was just speaking stuff wise. Clearly James has not put it all together even though he's one of the most experienced guys out of the young guns.
Cromagnum
AG
Caught a piece of the Rangers game while at lunch today. Pretty funny play in the 6th where the Rangers batter hit one into left field for an RBI. The A's tried to make a play at home but the batter wasn't paying attention to the catcher and got stuck between 2nd and 3rd and got squeezed for an easy out.

Astros related because we have way better situational awareness than that. LOL
bullard21k
AG
Josh James is Ken Giles esk.

You can pump 100 mph gas all you want but if you have no idea where it's going and can't hit the mitt major league hitters will square you up. And then when you lose control he just starts pumping it right down the middle.

Couple that with the fact that he can't locate his breaking stuff he is what he is.

A guy that can throw really hard with no control
First Page Last Page
Page 191 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.