****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,624,464 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

47 walks in 9 games certainly help with that. Now if they could only learn to bunt...
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

47 walks in 9 games certainly help with that. Now if they could only learn to bunt...
And yet we're 4th in BB%.
W
AG
how lucky are the Yankees...

Cole is going to make his 3rd start in their 9th game.

not bad when your ace starts every 3 games
redline248
AG
Who won the Zack Greinke trade?

This is a back and forth b/w Jake Kaplan and Arizona writer Zach Buchanan

Quote:

Kaplan: Given how many pitcher injuries the Astros have dealt with early in 2020, they need Greinke more than ever right now. In 12 regular-season starts with the team dating to last August, he has a 3.27 ERA and a 1.060 WHIP in 71 2/3 innings. He wasn't sharp for much of the 2019 postseason, but he pitched the Astros to a win in Game 3 of the World Series and would've been the winning pitcher in Game 7 had their hitters capitalized on their scoring opportunities against Max Scherzer.

If the Astros won Game 7 against the Nationals, this trade would be unimpeachable, right? But because they didn't, its legacy likely will hinge on the successes or failures of the four young players they gave up. On the flip side, it feels like the Diamondbacks probably can only feel better about the deal now than they did a year ago, no?

Quote:

Buchanan: Well, I think that's to be determined still. I wrote about this in June and ultimately decided I'd rather have the prospects and Bumgarner, but you can make the argument that this Diamondbacks team, the 2020 version, would be better with Greinke on it. He is a better pitcher at 36 than Bumgarner is at 31. On top of that, those four prospects have their warts and have yet to do really anything with Arizona.
Seth Beer has yet to prove he's anything but a designated hitter, which might have increased his value this season if there weren't like five other guys ahead of him for at-bats there in the big leagues. J.B. Bukauskas might wind up a reliever and his velocity was down in summer camp. Josh Rojas was called up soon after the trade but struggled mightily at the plate and hasn't looked much better since. He was sent down to the alternate site Saturday.
There's plenty of time for those guys to come around, of course. For me, though, the key to how this deal will be viewed is Corbin Martin. He's nearly back from the Tommy John surgery he had before the trade and was the best prospect of the bunch, and he might be the guy the Diamondbacks will need the most in this shortened season, given the struggles of the rotation and the likelihood of a pitcher injury at some point. If he pitches like a No. 3 like some scouts think he can, six-plus cost-controlled seasons of that guy easily beats two pricey seasons of Greinke.
There is a lot more at the link, I'll finish reading and if anything looks interesting I'll post it, too
https://theathletic.com/1963570/2020/08/03/who-won-the-zack-greinke-trade-our-astros-diamondbacks-writers-revisit-deal/
redline248
AG
Quote:

Kaplan: I don't think it's all-or-nothing, per se, but the Astros traded for Greinke because they thought it would help them maximize their optimal contention window, which appears to be closing. Their roster in 2020 is worse than it was in 2019, namely because of the losses of Cole and reliever Will Harris, and now Verlander is hurt. George Springer, Michael Brantley and Yuli Gurriel will be free agents after this season. Having Greinke indeed figures to help the Astros remain competitive in 2021, but the 2019 season already looks like it was their last-best chance to win it all with this core.
W
AG
it's an interesting discussion.

for the Astros franchise...winning the American League pennant is a big deal.

it was only the 3rd time the franchise had been to the World Series in 58 years.

and of course we'll see what happens in 2020 and 2021
redline248
AG
The Dbacks guy thinks Corbin Martin could pitch for them this year.
tjack16
AG
If we had won game 7 last year then there would be no debate the trade was worth it.

Who knows how good Beer, Buskaukas and Martin will end up being. But if Greinke does will this year and we make the series again. I'd say yes

Honestly we probably would have made the World Series last year anyways without him. If you look at the ALDS, we lost the game he started badly. In the ALCS. We lost game 1 which he started, and won game 4 when he started but the offense went off so we would have won even if Urquidy started instead.

Last year we needed to make a move at the deadline and I'm happy with the trade as it stands today
Farmer1906
AG
Right now it isn't. We've clearly won until one of the prospects pan out.
mazag08
AG
The trade was definitely worth it. Hinch pulling Greinke at his first sign of adversity doesn't change that.

Losing AJ Reed pt2, Brad Peacock pt2, and a AAAA player isn't what hurts. Corbin is what hurts. But even then, he has to come back from surgery, pitch consistently for an entire season, and perform well enough to be a solid #3 type to really be missed long term. We made the right move with this trade.
falcon09
AG
cpsencik04 said:

W said:

this is from MLB's website:

A pitcher receives a win when he is the pitcher of record when his team takes the lead for good -- with a couple rare exceptions. First, a starting pitcher must pitch at least five innings (in a traditional game of nine innings or longer) to qualify for the win. If he does not, the official scorer awards the win to the most effective relief pitcher.

There is also a rarely used clause where an official scorer can deem a relief pitcher's appearance "brief and ineffective." (For example, if a reliever relinquished a one-run lead by allowing three runs, but was still in line for a win after his team scored four runs in the following inning -- that may qualify.) If that's the case, the scorer can award the win to a pitcher who followed that "brief and ineffective" pitcher. Which relief pitcher earns the win specifically is also up to the judgment of the official scorer.

------------
so in Sunday's game...if Scrubb had given up the tying single in the 10th and finished the 10th...the official scorer could have given Framber the win. (and Taylor would have gotten the save for holding the lead in the 11th)

that's where the free runner on second could make the official scorer do something in 2020 that he would not have done in 2019. Since it wasn't Framber's fault that the runner was on 2nd base to start the inning
Framber pitched before Scrubb

Framber pitched before Scrubb. This rule doesn't apply to Framber.

If Scrubb had finished the 10th and been the pitcher of record when the Astros took the lead for good in the 11th, this rule could only be used to give Taylor the win.
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
n_touch
bearkatag15 said:

Astros front office treating it like Aggies looking for a head football coach.
tjack16
AG
Sugar land skeeters. Official AAA affiliate of the Houston Astros
bearkatag15
AG

Looks like DH only this year
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

This is a seasoned vet.

Up for 3 years with Minny. 12 games under his belt.
Deluxe
AG
I already trust him more than James
6-4-3
AG
Do you have good enough pitch mix to last 5 innings? Can you throw strikes?

Seriously, just a veteran pitcher who acts like a professional. Brad Peacock for example is sorely missed.
Farmer1906
AG
Peacock is a an above avg pitcher and elite vs righties.
6-4-3
AG
No question he is above average. Didn't mean to suggest otherwise. Career 3.99 not bad. I'd take 4.50 right now. Maybe 4.80. I brought up Peacock as an aside to compliment his consistency and professionalism, even when they sent him to the bullpen. He always chewed up innings.
McInnis
AG
I was on the road last week during the Astros extra inning game vs. Dodgers. In the 11th (I think) and the Dodgers were trying to turn the DP and their SS dropped the ball and then gave that little fake short arm continuation of a throw, did the umps and replay official just botch it or was something else going on? I was on the phone and had the sound muted. Apologies as I lost track of this thread for a few days and am too lazy to go back and try to find the discussion. I couldn't believe it wasn't overturned.
htxag09
AG
Replay and call stood.
lunchbox
htxag09 said:

Replay and call stood.

For some reason there was only one angle shown. I think it would have been overturned if they had an angle from the 1B side or OF.
07ag
AG
i didn't like it, but i understood the 'stands' call. some pros 'catch' and transfer crazy fast

https://ts.la/eric59704
Proudag06
AG
07ag said:

i didn't like it, but i understood the 'stands' call. some pros 'catch' and transfer crazy fast

Yes sometimes they don't catch it at all, they just kind of block it into their throwing hand like you see in the video. And that's fine if you finish the throw, but if you drop it you can't say it's a catch and drop on the exchange, it was never caught. I think the replay ump gave him benefit of doubt because he only dropped it because of the exchange (which was true) but that doesn't change the fact that he never caught it. Yes if he isn't trying to turn two, he catches it....but he was and he didn't.
Teddy Perkins
AG
lunchbox
Tough break (tear) for the kid...

Mathguy64
AG
Yankees win again over the Phillies. Of course they get to play a team that has been sitting doing nothing for a week.
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

This is a seasoned vet.

Up for 3 years with Minny. 12 games under his belt.

Here was 1 of his 12 games...

astros4545
AG
That was Peacocks coming out party if I remember correctly as well

We are all still trying to figure out how he made the 25 man roster, and he got out of a bases loaded no out jam in extras
W
AG
break up the Rockies. Off to a 7-2 start and in 1st place in the NL West.

don't play the Dodgers (7-4) until the 3rd week of August
W
AG
the A's beat the Mariners.

only 5 teams in the American League are over .500
W
AG
and one of those teams is the Orioles (5-3)...that have 4 games coming up vs. the COVID-stricken Marlins.

the O's might stick around in the playoff race for a while
W
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Looks like DH only this year
tough break for Ohtani.

it's amazing looking back at the crazy hype he got 3 years ago. And things just haven't worked out. The Angels have control of him thru the 2023 season.

and from the Astros standpoint...this kind of thing helps to keep the 'stros playoff window open beyond 2021. While LAAA will have Trout and Rendon together in their prime for a few more years, The Angels' starting rotation will continue to flounder for the foreseeable future, because they don't have money to spend in free agency (plus Ohtani's woes)
tjack16
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 179 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.