****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,626,941 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
themissinglink
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
03_Aggie
themissinglink said:

It isn't the hat, it's the left forearm. Can see it in the bottom right picture.

Can also put it together if you haven the ALCS game in Houston (think it was game 5). It was painfully obvious when he he was warming up in the bullpen and then an oops on television shows him going to it in the game. That is what my screenshot was from.
irish pete ag06
AG
iBrad said:

According to this site:
  • Runner on 2nd with no outs = 61.4% chance the run scores
  • Runner on 3rd with one out = 66.0% chance the run scores

Now you have to factor in the success rate of the sacrifice, because it's not a sure thing, no matter how much you practice. That likely negates much of the above advantage.

You also have to factor in situational defense, which further negates the advantage. This article details how playing the infield in can reduce the scoring percentage for the runner on third. The 66% above was a cumulative percentage over five seasons. This is likely much lower when isolating for run-preventing defensive alignments.

All that to say, our nerds have likely analyzed the numbers to determine the best approach to winning, which is likely not bunting.

Interesting numbers! Just simple math says you'd have to be above 96% conversion on the sacrifice to make it worthwhile. Watching these guys bunt makes me think that's not possible.
Frok
AG
Bunting depends on who his hitting IMO. If it's the top of the lineup I would not bunt. If it's someone like Reddick/Tucker/Straw then I would bunt.

CFTXAG10
AG
agdaddy04
AG
With the new doubleheader rule I bet this happens a lot.
bdgol07
AG
agdaddy04 said:

With the new doubleheader rule I bet this happens a lot.
Yep...buckle up for game cancellations and shortened 7 inning games. Going to become the norm pretty soon
k20dub
AG
I didn't think so before the season, but this year's champion will absolutely have an asterisk.
CFTXAG10
AG
k20dub said:

I didn't think so before the season, but this year's champion will absolutely have an asterisk.
I agree. If we get to the playoffs and the ALCS-NLCS matchups are the teams we thought would be there anyway at close to full strength it might help my perception of it a little bit, but it feels like this is about to get weird.
tjack16
AG
k20dub said:

Not according to Joc Pederson who claims they will have earned it by not cheating

That quote in no way will come back to bite him later
agproducer
AG
MLB The Show fans, the game is releasing an Altuve Silver Slugger card from 2016. I'm disappointed it's not his MVP card.

But the Twitter comments are brutal. So many tears! Get over it. Altuve did not participate in the cheating.

03_Aggie
tjack16 said:

k20dub said:

Not according to Joc Pederson who claims they will have earned it by not cheating

Would be funny if the Dodgers actually manage to win one and people asterisk it because of the virus.
bluefire579
AG
03_Aggie said:

tjack16 said:

k20dub said:

Would be funny if the Dodgers actually manage to win one and people asterisk it because of the virus.
I think it would be funnier if they make it and lose to us again
Mathguy64
AG
So I thought a positive test and the player sat but the team played. Soto tested positive The day of game 1 and he's been sitting while the Nats have been playing. Why is this any different?.

Something tells me it's more than 1 to postpone a game.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64
AG
A reminder to everyone that our west coast game tonight starts at 8:10. Astros After Dark is really Astros While The Sun Is Still Up.

This is the first good thing to come out of Covid in 4 plus months
EastCoastAgNc
AG

I feel like this is gonna end in Crane having to sell the team...he can't stop putting his foot in his mouth.
Mathguy64
AG
mathguy86 said:

So I thought a positive test and the player sat but the team played. Soto tested positive The day of game 1 and he's been sitting while the Nats have been playing. Why is this any different?.

And I win. Cards have multiple positives per https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29570869/source-mlb-calls-cardinals-brewers-game-due-coronavirus
astros4545
AG
Crane somewhat supports free speech

Of course it's a joke that Taubman got fired if he was good at his job
n_touch
mathguy86 said:

mathguy86 said:

And I win. Cards have multiple positives per https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29570869/source-mlb-calls-cardinals-brewers-game-due-coronavirus
So are we playing a baseball season or are the games secondary to the game of not catching Covid?

Seems like it is just a round robin and when one or more of your players test positive you are eliminated. Last team standing is the WS 2020 champs
amercer
AG
If you are going to fire him to appease the mob, what to you think the reaction will be if you latter defend him.

Best to just keep your mouth shut
amercer
AG
Covid roulette!
Frok
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

This makes it look like Rome's tweet was accurate but the Astros didn't want that message out just yet.

Edit: Oh wait, this tweet is ALSO Rome. So I guess he could be defending his original tweet
Mathguy64
AG
Crane needs to learn how to be an owner.

1. Sit in your best seat in the house, watch your team and drink and eat all the good stuff.

2. Grin like an idiot and lift your trophy if you are lucky enough to do that.

3. Otherwise shut the **** up. Go bang Asian massage girls in Florida. Or get a bad haircut. Be a lush. You are a billionaire and no one will care what you do. It's expected you will do something idiotic in your personal life. Just don't say anything that relates to your team or sport.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Crane sucks.
Panama Red
AG
astros4545 said:

Crane somewhat supports free speech

Of course it's a joke that Taubman got fired if he was good at his job
If you do something stupid and bring a world of horrible media coverage to your employer at what is supposed to be a celebratory time, you'd better be the Babe Ruth of your job if you don't want to get fired.
Deluxe
AG
Might be a dumb question but if JV somehow did have to miss the 2021 season with TJ, would we still owe him his $33mm and would that count against our luxury tax?
bluefire579
AG
Deluxe said:

Might be a dumb question but if JV somehow did have to miss the 2021 season with TJ, would we still owe him his $33mm and would that count against our luxury tax?
There's usually an insurance policy tied to it, I believe. I remember back when Bagwell had his shoulder surgery, there was a hubbub about the Astros claiming the policy when he intended to (and did) return. Not sure how it would apply in terms of luxury tax, though.
Ag_07
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Crane sucks.

I tend to agree but Crane turned this thing around and got us out from under Uncle Drayton so he's got some credit built up.
W
AG
regarding the luxury tax...according to Spotrac...

Sale & Pedrioa are costing the Red Sox $38 MM this year toward the luxury tax.

I don't think there's a break for injured players.
----

and looking at Spotrac closer...the Red Sox have a complete mess on their hands payroll-wise. No wonder they had to dump Price & Betts. Will take them a couple of years to shed/expire the bad contracts
bluefire579
AG
W said:

regarding the luxury tax...according to Spotrac...

Sale & Pedrioa are costing the Red Sox $38 MM this year toward the luxury tax.

I don't think there's a break for injured players.
----

and looking at Spotrac closer...the Red Sox have a complete mess on their hands payroll-wise. No wonder they had to dump Price & Betts. Will take them a couple of years to shed/expire the bad contracts
Feel like there are going to be a couple of teams in that situation in the future given some of the huge contracts that have been throw around the past couple of years.
Ag_07
AG
Exactly and that's why I don't think they can afford George.

Someone will come throw money at him but I don't think it'll be Boston
Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

Exactly and that's why I don't think they can afford George.

Someone will come throw money at him but I don't think it'll be Boston

It won't be NYY. Not after Cole and the money they owe Stanton and will have to pay Judge and others.

It won't be the Dodgers. Not after Betts and they have Bellinger coming up and others.
Deluxe
AG
Will also be interesting to see the Red Sox appetite to take on a big contract this winter. Looks like they're going to clear a little bit of space after this year but hard to imagine they think they're one player away. Seems possible they'll take a couple years to re-tool/shed salary and then make another run in 2022ish. Tough sledding being in the same division as the Yankees/Rays right now too.
W
AG
another issue for the Red Sox...Benintendi.

back in 2017 & 2018 he looked like he was going to be a star. But had a disappointing 2019 and struggling again in 2020.

only slugged .431 last year playing at Fenway. The Red Sox can't have a corner outfielder not slugging
First Page Last Page
Page 129 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.