****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,630,340 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Chuck Gay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Could have used Greinke instead of Toro as a PH. Greinke has 47 career sac bunts.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Burn-It said:

Pitching surprisingly good given the blu-flu, young blood look really good. I'd expect some vets might heal really quick if this continues.

Hitting is atrocious, unacceptable. If that doesn't dramaticly turn around, there will be no doubt what the anti- Stro crowd will say regarding 2017-019 offensive production. Springer contract might be a bargain if this continues, I get he can be streaky.

If I'm wrong, I will gladly come here & eat crow. The cheating claims may actually be true.

Shut up
bullard21k
AG
tjack16 said:

bullard21k said:

tjack16 said:

I'm okay with not bunting honestly. Dusty knows what our guys are capable of based on last year... they just didn't come through. I'm usually not a fan of bunts in general because I don't like giving away free outs.

We have the 2017 MVP, and 2019 MVP runner up along with 3 other all stars in our starting lineup.... we should be able to score a run with a guy on 2nd and no outs without bunting

That's great but Myles straw was batting behind Toro not any of the players you just mentioned in that scenario

They weren't batting in all 4 of the extra innings.

Bottom of 11th is what I'm referring to. First and second no outs and toro is at the plate, straw on deck.

Not bunting in that scenario is indefensible imo. For what reason would not at least try to lay one down for 1 pitch?

I'm not referring to any other inning
Burn-It
AG
LMAO, keep it up
AKA 13-0
tjack16
AG
I get that completely. My point is it shouldn't have gotten to the 11th inning with Altuve, Bregman and Brantley up... especially with a man on 2nd and no outs.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Burn-It said:

LMAO, keep it up

I mean you make good posts until the end when you scapegoat cheating. You realize there was no "cheating" last year, right?
bullard21k
AG
tjack16 said:

I get that completely. My point is it shouldn't have gotten to the 11th inning with Altuve, Bregman and Brantley up... especially with a man on 2nd and no outs.

Now that I'm in agreement on. Situational hitting was non existent tonight
tjack16
AG
bullard21k said:

tjack16 said:

Now that I'm in agreement on. Situational hitting was non existent tonight

I'm just hoping it was a one time thing. I think it will turn out to be .... but it still is worrisome.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Imagine being a hitter with a runner on 2nd and no outs, going up to the plate, and not even attempting to get him to third.

That's what we did multiple times.
AggieMD95
AG
bullard21k said:

tjack16 said:

bullard21k said:

tjack16 said:

I'm okay with not bunting honestly. Dusty knows what our guys are capable of based on last year... they just didn't come through. I'm usually not a fan of bunts in general because I don't like giving away free outs.

We have the 2017 MVP, and 2019 MVP runner up along with 3 other all stars in our starting lineup.... we should be able to score a run with a guy on 2nd and no outs without bunting

That's great but Myles straw was batting behind Toro not any of the players you just mentioned in that scenario

Bottom of 11th is what I'm referring to. First and second no outs and toro is at the plate, straw on deck.

Not bunting in that scenario is indefensible imo. For what reason would not at least try to lay one down for 1 pitch?

I agree. Horrible game management
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
AggieMD95 said:

bullard21k said:

tjack16 said:

bullard21k said:

tjack16 said:

Anything other than "toro is literally the worst bunter of all time) is unacceptable here.
Gap
AG
Chuck Gay said:

Could have used Greinke instead of Toro as a PH. Greinke has 47 career sac bunts.
AggieMD95
AG
mathguy86 said:

Dusty basically said he never thought about bunting. How do you not have this situation game planned out before the season started? Home team tied in 10th your sole job is to plate 1 run. Not more. 1.

This is scary. I could understand if one of your horses is up. But Toro was up w no outs in a tie game w runner on second. When baker was a player this was automatic. Is he going all Biden on us ?
W
AG
wangus12 said:

Can't take forever to get the season rolling with only 60 games. Pretty pathetic showing at the plate
this is good time to mention one of Yogi Berra's greatest quotes:

"it's getting late early"

that's the theme with a 60-game season
W
AG
Altuve quietly becoming a one-true outcome guy.

14 of his 28 plate appearances have ended with a walk (5), strike out (8), or HR (1).

that's not the approach that made him great
Boiling Denim
Harry Dunne said:

mathguy86 said:

I'm sorry. This was mismanaged by Baker as much as it was a lack of productivity. Twice he had the chance to play for 1 run and twice he did the wrong thing. It's one thing to play it right and not execute. It's another altogether to not understand what the right decision is.

And I don't blame the hitters for not hitting. They basically havent seen other pitchers. It's all been intrasquad games until KC.
I love when dudes on Texags talk like they understand baseball decisions better than a baseball lifer.
Yeah Bill O'brien calls amazing timeouts every game. No way some 17 year old kid who's played a thousand games of Madden could ever dream of making better situational decisions than a lifer.

It's a game. You don't need a doctorate to understand it.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
AggieMD95 said:

bullard21k said:

tjack16 said:

bullard21k said:

tjack16 said:

Toro was a pinch hitter for Reddick then right?
TRM
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

AggieMD95 said:

bullard21k said:

tjack16 said:

bullard21k said:

tjack16 said:

Toro was a pinch hitter for Reddick then right?

Toro was the PH for Stubbs, who took over for Machete after Springer pinch hit for him and replaced Reddick in the field.
Ag_07
AG
I mean I guess the logic for not bunting is pretty simple.

Someone on this team has to be able to get a GD base hit to win a ball game.
k20dub
AG
Ag_07 said:

Someone on this team has to be to get a GD base hit to win a ball game.
This. There's no question that the Astros have done extensive research and ran numbers on probabilities of bunting versus trying to get a hit. Some nights it's just not going to work out, like last night. It won't be the last time we don't bunt in extra innings.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
tjack16
AG
This is gonna be a long off day
Burn-It
AG
k20dub said:

Ag_07 said:

This. There's no question that the Astros have done extensive research and ran numbers on probabilities of bunting versus trying to get a hit. Some nights it's just not going to work out, like last night. It won't be the last time we don't bunt in extra innings.

No, Dusty has not done anything close to extensive research. If Hinch, then yes, you would be accurate.
AKA 13-0
CFTXAG10
AG
tjack16 said:

This is gonna be a long off day
For us fans it definitely will be, but I am glad the guys get a day to hit the reset button. Maybe someone will go flick them in the fleshy patch where their nuts used to be.
Ag_07
AG
Burn-It said:

k20dub said:

Ag_07 said:

No, Dusty has not done anything close to extensive research. If Hinch, then yes, you would be accurate.

LOL if you think Hinch was the one doing the research.

I don't think anything has changed whatsoever about research and analytics. Hinch didn't do it and Dusty doesn't do it either.

The nerds do it all and give the baseball staff the info. Pretty sure that's how it's always worked and I doubt that has changed.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
bdgol07
AG
I think that last night showed that these games in a condensed season are all important to win, especially the close ones. Baker and crew needs to get a game plan for extra inning tactics for all extra innings going forward. Rolling the ball out there and letting the team play isnt working at the moment, figure out something else
irish pete ag06
AG
With 16 teams making the playoffs... the regular season almost doesn't matter. Hit your stride fully in 60 games.
tjack16
AG
At least have a fairly easy stretch coming up ... We should have a couple game lead over the division after the next two weeks
Ag_07
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

With 16 teams making the playoffs... the regular season almost doesn't matter. Hit your stride fully in 60 games.

pete always shows up to put things into perspective for us
astros4545
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

I was disappointed in the playoff expansion as well

But now we can use that time to develop these players for our playoff push rather than exclusively focus on winning each and every game
tjack16
AG
A lot of people were complaining on here about the expanded playoffs I guess now they are seeing it's not such a bad thing considering it increases our chances of making it
astros4545
AG
I guess we just couldn't predict that the number one pitcher on the team would potentially be done after one start
Deluxe
AG
Overall I'm pretty pleased with what I saw the last two games against the Dodgers.

-Before any game takes, I'm glad MLB laid the hammer down on Joe Kelly. Not necessarily because he's a ****** (he is), but because it sets the tone for other teams trying the same BS against us down the road and prevents things from escalating. It was nice watching the game last night not worried about 1) another Dodger pitcher taking matters into his own hands or 2) Dusty having to pick the right spot to retaliate. Back to baseball.

-I'm very pleased with what I saw from all our pitchers against a GREAT Dodgers offense. Man, Javier looks like a stud. If he is what we think he is, we're gonna be loaded later this year if JV gets back. The other young guys (specifically Taylor) look solid too. And I like seeing them get extended looks (2+ innings). The Rays/Click seemed to excel in getting their relievers to work multiple innings. And given the uncertainty around our rotation, we'll probably have more innings to bridge than normal.

-This series was a good reminder that pitching has been what has truly made us great the last couple years. Offense is going to come and go over the course of the regular season, especially against a team like Dodgers that have great arms and super high level ability to game plan. Pitching has been our rock the last few years against the good teams. Despite our elite regular season production, our offense has tended to disappear for long stretches during the playoffs. But if we get our pitching in order, we'll be alright.

-I'm not worried about Altuve. After hitting a dinger on opening day last year, he went like 2 for his next 19 and looked lost. Then he started mashing. He just needs to get synced up. Slightly worried about Springer though. Think he's putting too much pressure on himself with the contract talks coming up and don't think his transition from the Hinch "hit dingers" approach to the Dusty "hit some singles the other way" approach works as well for him. I'm sure he'll have a couple hot stretches this year and ultimately carry his weight, but I suppose I'm a little concerned.
tjack16
AG
astros4545 said:

I guess we just couldn't predict that the number one pitcher on the team would potentially be done after one start

No but expanded playoffs increases your chance of making it to the postseason. That's why I was happy about it for a 60 game season.. it gives you room in case you have stuff like this happen. I wasnt anticipating JV being out ... but I do know our teams injury history so I thought Expanded playoffs would help due to Correa, springer, Alvarez and Altuve health concerns from last year
First Page Last Page
Page 125 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.