****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,625,608 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A sweep of the Angels would do wonders right now
agproducer
AG
I'm sure it's hard to go from hitting one of the worst pitching teams in the league to facing one of the best.

We have to get healthy.

I bet this series the guys were pressing at the plate because of all the history and talk, wanting to prove they weren't successful due to the sign stealing.

They need to do something to loosen up and relax. I bet with everyone against them, they feel the weight of the world on their shoulders.

They'll be back to having fun soon enough. This is a situation where it would have really been nice to have the support of hometown fans.
Farmer1906
AG
Fumbleruski said:

Top of the lineup is killing us. Correa can't do everything. Our hitters need to start putting together good ABs (Brantley has been decent). We are killing our rookie pitchers who are really doing well despite the circumstances.

I agree. Brantley's .435 avg is decent.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Forgot what it's like to be a .500 team.

It took us to the 11th game to move a over .500 (excluding starting 1-0) last year.
Justin Verlander is not walking through that door, fans and Gerrit Cole is not walking through that door.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Fumbleruski said:

Top of the lineup is killing us. Correa can't do everything. Our hitters need to start putting together good ABs (Brantley has been decent). We are killing our rookie pitchers who are really doing well despite the circumstances.

No one cares about batting average anymore.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Left 15 runners on base tonight. Saw on twitter
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

It took us to the 11th game to move a over .500 (excluding starting 1-0) last year.
Justin Verlander is not walking through that door, fans and Gerrit Cole is not walking through that door.

No, but Yordan & Urquidy will. Maybe Whitley too. Oh and JV just might. Don't count him out just yet.

Also, I don't expect Springer, Altuve, & Bregman to continue to bat in the sub .175s all year. Do you?
Marvin
AG
Only five games in but several observations:

1. I'm pissed about this Dodgers series, but let's not overreact. We have a good, but somewhat injured, team.

2. I like the young arms. That's promising.

3. We need the veterans back in the pen.

4. The offense will start clicking. I'm as frustrated as anyone about them laying down against the Dodgers, but we get another shot at them.

5. How many chances will Tucker get? He's not a rookie anymore. At some point you have to actually produce on the big stage.

5. We don't have a minor league bat worth salt in the upper levels. Toro, Mayfield, Jones, Straw, Tanileu... there are no future league average regulars there.

6. Spend some time bunting in practice. WTF?

That's what I got. We'll be ok. Keep your chins up.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Ag_07
AG
No...But Tucker will
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

No...But Tucker will

Technically he's not there so....
tjack16
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

Fumbleruski said:

I mean I'd rather my 4 hole hitter hits .435 than the .177 our 2-3 batters are hitting
Mathguy64
AG
I'm sorry. This was mismanaged by Baker as much as it was a lack of productivity. Twice he had the chance to play for 1 run and twice he did the wrong thing. It's one thing to play it right and not execute. It's another altogether to not understand what the right decision is.

And I don't blame the hitters for not hitting. They basically havent seen other pitchers. It's all been intrasquad games until KC.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

No, but Yordan & Urquidy will. Maybe Whitley too. Oh and JV just might. Don't count him out just yet.

Also, I don't expect Springer, Altuve, & Bregman to continue to bat in the sub .175s all year. Do you?
I was just trying to be funny, but my point is but I don't think we are going to overcome a sub-.500 start like last year in a short season without the two best pitchers in baseball.

In seriousness I think we all know we aren't going to do $h1t without JV, so I hope he's OK.

Urquidy? You're kidding.
Burn-It
AG
Pitching surprisingly good given the blu-flu, young blood look really good. I'd expect some vets might heal really quick if this continues.

Hitting is atrocious, unacceptable. If that doesn't dramaticly turn around, there will be no doubt what the anti- Stro crowd will say regarding 2017-019 offensive production. Springer contract might be a bargain if this continues, I get he can be streaky.

If I'm wrong, I will gladly come here & eat crow. The cheating claims may actually be true.
AKA 13-0
Harry Dunne
tjack16 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

Fumbleruski said:

I mean I'd rather my 4 hole hitter hits .435 than the .177 our 2-3 batters are hitting
Again,, I was trying to be funny because every time I rip Tucker's batting average people say batting average doesn't matter anymore and chime in with all of the advanced stats that are supposed to tell me he doesn't suck.
mike_ags_fan12

They don't wanna win, we don't wanna win
Ag_07
AG
I would agree if they were at least having competitive ABs. They're completely lost.

Springer is walking out of the box before the ump can even ring him up.

Altuve is swinging at anything that leaves the pitchers hand.

Is Bregman even alive?

Fckn Machete doesn't have a problem with new pitchers.

They're pros. When the games matter you should be ready to play.
tjack16
AG
Harry Dunne said:

tjack16 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

Fumbleruski said:

Again,, I was trying to be funny because every time I rip Tucker's batting average people say batting average doesn't matter anymore and chime in with all of the advanced stats that are supposed to tell me he doesn't suck.

I gotcha.
wangus12
AG
Can't take forever to get the season rolling with only 60 games. Pretty pathetic showing at the plate
W
AG
this kind of game makes him a 1-year manager
Harry Dunne
W said:

Also he's like 95.

I think the whole point of hiring him was for him to be a 1-2 year manager.
Mathguy64
AG
Dusty basically said he never thought about bunting. How do you not have this situation game planned out before the season started? Home team tied in 10th your sole job is to plate 1 run. Not more. 1.
Mathguy64
AG
W said:

Except after yesterday he's a two year manager.

He was a bad choice to start.
The D
AG
Dusty baker
Harry Dunne
The candidate pool was not overwhelming.
Harry Dunne
mathguy86 said:

I'm sorry. This was mismanaged by Baker as much as it was a lack of productivity. Twice he had the chance to play for 1 run and twice he did the wrong thing. It's one thing to play it right and not execute. It's another altogether to not understand what the right decision is.

And I don't blame the hitters for not hitting. They basically havent seen other pitchers. It's all been intrasquad games until KC.
I love when dudes on Texags talk like they understand baseball decisions better than a baseball lifer.
bullard21k
AG
mathguy86 said:

Dusty basically said he never thought about bunting. How do you not have this situation game planned out before the season started? Home team tied in 10th your sole job is to plate 1 run. Not more. 1.

I said it yesterday but we have plenty of situational red flags early in the year that concerns me about baker.

Not even thinking about bunting?

Toro at bat w/runners at first and second and no outs...give me 1 logical reason for not at least attempting a bunt? That's completely asinine
redline248
AG
Harry Dunne said:

mathguy86 said:

I love when dudes on Texags talk like they understand baseball decisions better than a baseball lifer.
We don't understand his decisions, but we know they were the wrong ones. Just move the runner to 3rd and have 2 chances to get 90 feet.
Chuck Gay
AG
mike_ags_fan12 said:

They don't wanna win, we don't wanna win
The Dodgers didn't have the luxury of knowing they only needed to play for 1 run. Someone tell Dusty that it matters who has the last at bat.
Ag12thman
AG
I think we are easily better than the Angels, Rangers, and Mariners. It is the A's that I'm worried about.
tjack16
AG
I'm okay with not bunting honestly. Dusty knows what our guys are capable of based on last year... they just didn't come through. I'm usually not a fan of bunts in general because I don't like giving away free outs.

We have the 2017 MVP, and 2019 MVP runner up along with 3 other all stars in our starting lineup.... we should be able to score a run with a guy on 2nd and no outs without bunting
Gap
AG
Strategically, you have to move the runner to 3rd on the first out. Their capability doesn't even matter. You don't even need a hit to win the game with a runner at 2nd and needing just 1 run. We had guys like Stubbs/Toro and Tucker up in that situation. It is a no brainer.
Harry Dunne
redline248 said:

Harry Dunne said:

mathguy86 said:

We don't understand his decisions, but we know they were the wrong ones. Just move the runner to 3rd and have 2 chances to get 90 feet.
Just because you don't agree and it didn't work out doesn't mean he was wrong. AJ rarely bunted in that situation and when he did it often did not go well.

No one on this forum understands that decision better than Baker. He knows his personnel and what they are capable of. This isn't a video game where they all have 80 bunting. Baker's decisions aren't empirically wrong - there are a lot of factors involved and it's a safe assumption that no one here understands them better than the guys in the dugout (and I doubt we have totally given up analytics).

Can Kyle Tucker even bunt? I mean he couldn't possibly make less contact than when he swings away, but I'm going to guess he sucks even more at bunting. A couple of $hi7ty bunts and you'd be second-guessing that. A Correa HR and Baker is now a genius.

It's a lot more complicated than the black and white you're making it out to be.
bullard21k
AG
tjack16 said:

I'm okay with not bunting honestly. Dusty knows what our guys are capable of based on last year... they just didn't come through. I'm usually not a fan of bunts in general because I don't like giving away free outs.

We have the 2017 MVP, and 2019 MVP runner up along with 3 other all stars in our starting lineup.... we should be able to score a run with a guy on 2nd and no outs without bunting

That's great but Myles straw was batting behind Toro not any of the players you just mentioned in that scenario
tjack16
AG
bullard21k said:

tjack16 said:

That's great but Myles straw was batting behind Toro not any of the players you just mentioned in that scenario

They weren't batting in all 4 of the extra innings.

First Page Last Page
Page 124 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.