***** Official 2020 Texas Rangers Season Thread *****

172,295 Views | 3272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCSWguru
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Houston fans in all sports have the worst little man syndrome of all time. This is universally true. I grew up in DFW and never felt any sort of way towards Houston teams until I went to A&M. Hope they lose endlessly. Their fans deserve zero good things
This is what does it.

DannyDuberstein
AG
Whatever the cause, I have not found a greater amount of pent up angst than a Houston Aggie. It's a double-dose.
DallasAg 94
baseballguru
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

I'll tell you... I don't have tickets for tonight and I'm broke (cash poor) as hell, right now.
Are you a baseball fan or not? Cash in the retirement fund.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
wbt5845 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

Houston fans in all sports have the worst little man syndrome of all time. This is universally true. I grew up in DFW and never felt any sort of way towards Houston teams until I went to A&M. Hope they lose endlessly. Their fans deserve zero good things
This is what does it.

This is a big part of it. Texas is a hardcore football state. We have 5 Super Bowls and they have none. I wouldn't trade a single super bowl for their tainted World Series either.
CampingAg
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Same. I had no idea until I went to A&M. Being a huge baseball fan overall and a fan of MLB hats, I had official hats from a number teams at some point growing up, including one astros hat and a .45s hat. I saw them as our state's representation in the NL and pulled for them. But then my time at A&M was eye-opening. The hate for DFW sports teams was amazing.
It's so true, and I've heard so many people say it. I loved the Rangers and Astros as a kid. Had a hat for each. We would drive down for a game or two every year. Then I get to College Station and everyone from Houston (i.e. the majority of A&M students) hates the Rangers for some reason. And this was when they were in separate leagues. It's strange.
Cappo
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

This. And when I got to A&M I also learned they just seem to not like people from the DFW
BryanAggie2013
AG
Cappo said:

jtstanley4621 said:

This. And when I got to A&M I also learned they just seem to not like people from the DFW

I've noticed the same phenomenon.

Personally I've always had a dislike for them, because I lived near St. Louis in my younger childhood and the Cardinals were my team while the Astros were still in the NL Central. But all the kids from my hometown (after moving to TX) were fans of Rangers in the AL and Astros in the NL. They all leaned Rangers in inter-league because we were so close to DFW. But I never knew about the complex real Houston area fans had until I made it to A&M.
CampingAg
AG
Good thing they instituted these rules like the three-batter minimum and the elimination of the four-pitch intentional walk to prevent 4+ hour games....oh wait.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
In 1962, my dad drove our family from Waco to Houston to watch the expansion Colt .45's play. I became a die hard .45's / Astros fan until my freshman year at A&M when I saw what jerks the Houston Aggies were toward everyone else. Of course, I got a new team when the Senators moved to Arlington in 1972. I haven't pulled for a Houston team since.
Legal Custodian
AG
Sounds like my story is the same as everyone else's. Never thought about Houston sports in my life, I was a teenager and liked the Texans logo when it came out and even bought a hat. Never wore it, but I had no ill will towards Houston at all.

Then I went to A&M and every single Houstonite talked **** about DFW. I had no idea Houston hated everything Dallas. I just thought it was the people I was around but then I moved to Houston for work. And the first NFL sunday I was down there I came into the office the next day and made some generic small talk like, "Hey, the Texans looked good yesterday" and was greeted with talk about how much the cowboys sucked.

This meme reminds me of anything Houston and how Dallas (doesn't) think of them:

TXAggie2011
AG
The challenge with Houston fans is that when I tell them I honestly don't care, they think I'm just trying to talk ***** Oh well.
hawk1689
AG
They won a regular season game 17 years ago and you'd think they'd won 5 Super Bowls.
DallasAg 94
Carlo4
AG
Anyone discuss how Bellinger popped his shoulder out of socket celebrating the GW HR last night?

My goodness that's hilarious to me

wbt5845
AG
Great review of the new ballpark. This guy had the same impression I did - gee, looks weird until you step inside and then OMFG.

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-entertainment/architecture/2020/10/16/sorry-haters-globe-life-field-the-new-home-of-the-rangers-is-a-great-place-to-watch-a-ballgame-and-a-serious-work-of-architecture/
DallasAg 94
AgBQ-00
AG
wbt5845 said:

Great review of the new ballpark. This guy had the same impression I did - gee, looks weird until you step inside and then OMFG.

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-entertainment/architecture/2020/10/16/sorry-haters-globe-life-field-the-new-home-of-the-rangers-is-a-great-place-to-watch-a-ballgame-and-a-serious-work-of-architecture/

Read it yesterday and gets me excited to go to a game there whenever we are finally able
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
We just got an email that Hulu Live is now losing the Fox Regional Networks. Being a Rangers fan in Houston that doesn't have a year round need for tv, I guess next spring I'm headed back to AT&T Now.
Schall 02
AG
Ranger #007 said:

We just got an email that Hulu Live is now losing the Fox Regional Networks. Being a Rangers fan in Houston that doesn't have a year round need for tv, I guess next spring I'm headed back to AT&T Now.
Get MLB.tv ?
South Platte
jtstanley4621 said:

Yep, this over and over again. They literally hate us. The hate only flows north up I45, but it's pretty overwhelming.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Rangers games are blacked out in the Houston area on MLB.tv.
jtstanley4621
AG
Ranger #007 said:

Rangers games are blacked out in the Houston area on MLB.tv.

If you get a VPN you can get around all those sorts of restrictions if you set your location out of state
LostTexasBoy
AG
wbt5845 said:

Can you post the article for those who are not DMN subscribers, please?
wbt5845
AG
10 years ago today. Was awesome.

Proposition Joe
Prolly the peak of my sports fandom... That ALCS was a blast, and WS was really just playing with house money.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
How does that work with streaming boxes? We've got AppleTVs on all the TVs in the house.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Can't believe it's been that long ago.
jtstanley4621
AG
Ranger #007 said:

How does that work with streaming boxes? We've got AppleTVs on all the TVs in the house.

I typically just chrome cast to my TV, but I believe it is possible to use a VPN with appleTV. I know people use VPNs for getting around country restrictions for movies/TV so I believe it would work pretty much the same way
Sports-Ag
AG
Young and Kinsler talking about the game. So much memories.

KT 90
AG
This will be interesting to follow...

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/rob_manfred_says_mlb_could_limit_defensive_shifts/s1_127_33157877?utm_source=mb&utm_medium=email&mb_edition=20201024&mb_loc=left_h

[url=https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/rob-manfred-limit-shifts/566308][/url]Rob Manfred says MLB could limit defensive shifts
[url=https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/rob-manfred-limit-shifts/566308][/url]
Originally posted on Larry Brown Sports | By Grey Papke | Last updated 10/23/20

Major League Baseball has introduced a host of rule changes in recent years, but commissioner Rob Manfred suggested a bigger one might be yet to come.
Appearing on Friday's edition of "The Dan Patrick Show," Manfred said that limiting defensive shifts is a frequent topic of conversation for the league's competition committee.
"A lot of people feel that the extreme shifting that you're talking about has changed the game in ways that are not positive, and it remains a really hot topic in terms of conversation within that committee," Manfred said, via Bob Nightengale of USA Today.

The shift has been the subject of potential rule changes for a while. In fact, two years ago, there was some suggestion that there was momentum toward limiting them. That hasn't happened yet, with MLB pursuing other minor rule changes, such as limiting pitching changes.
Teams have gotten good at shifting and positioning to take away hits and limit offense. Left-handed pull hitters have been particularly vulnerable. It's not clear what banning the shift would look like, and whether players would be limited to specific positions or simply given a range of areas they can play in. What's clear is that the discussion is at least on the table.

KT 90
AG
https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/rangers_to_name_bullpen_coach_doug_mathis_pitching_coach/s1_13237_33158663?utm_source=mb&utm_medium=email&mb_edition=20201024&mb_loc=right_h

[url=https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/10/rangers-to-name-doug-mathis-pitching-coach.html][/url]Rangers to name bullpen coach Doug Mathis pitching coach
[url=https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/10/rangers-to-name-doug-mathis-pitching-coach.html][/url]
Originally posted on MLB Trade Rumors | By Connor Byrne | Last updated 10/23/20

The Rangers plan to name bullpen coach Doug Mathis as their pitching coach, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports. Mathis will take over for Julio Rangel, to whom the Rangers said goodbye earlier this month.
Mathis will grab the helm of a pitching staff that struggled for two seasons under Rangel, combining for the majors' fifth worst-ERA (5.07) and its seventh-highest FIP (4.85). In fairness to Rangel, however, the Rangers weren't exactly teeming with talent on his watch. However, they did at least get back-to-back solid seasons from right-hander Lance Lynn (whom they could trade during the winter), while Jonathan Hernandez blossomed in their bullpen this year.

Mathis, 37, has long been familiar to the Rangers, who spent a 13th-round pick on him in 2005 before he was part of their coaching staff. As a player, Mathis didn't have an extensive career with the Rangers, although all 87 1/3 innings during his MLB tenure came with Texas. He logged a 4.84 ERA with the club from 2008-10.

DeangeloVickers
AG
You should be able to put players anywhere you damn well please

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.