How was anyone ever ok with this kind of baseball

2,365 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by kb2001
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LostTexasBoy
AG
While the pitches were outside, or at least appeared to be so, the ump was incredibly consistent. Everyone who has ever played ball knows that in reality the strike zone is what the umpire calls it to be, not what the rule book may say. If the Braves chose not to adjust, that's on them.
bigjag19
AG
Catcher isn't even trying to frame it. Amazing.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah...You can't adjust to that.

Quite a few of those were so far outside you'd have to step on the plate to reach them.
LostTexasBoy
AG
True, but if you know the ump is calling things outside, even when it's beyond absurd, you still gotta make the adjustment or do the best you can to try.
Aggie1205
AG
The last one in the video was the worst. He would have had to throw his bat at it.

I get the point about consistency, but if a pitcher was bouncing balls in front of the plate you wouldn't give the ump credit for consistantly calling them strikes.
LostTexasBoy
AG
Agree completely.

Holy quadruple post. I guess I just really wanted to let you know how much I agree.
LostTexasBoy
AG
LostTexasBoy
AG
LostTexasBoy
AG
Frok
AG
LostTexasBoy said:

While the pitches were outside, or at least appeared to be so, the ump was incredibly consistent. Everyone who has ever played ball knows that in reality the strike zone is what the umpire calls it to be, not what the rule book may say. If the Braves chose not to adjust, that's on them.
Nope, the strike zone is defined. That ump just sucked. The strike zone graphics are forcing that mindset out of baseball thankfully.
Beat40
redline248 said:

Wait, did I hear he only got 15 strike outs out of that?
redline248
AG
First I wondered why there weren't more Maddux pitches, then I realized he didn't need 8 inches to get a strike called
Bregxit
AG
The glory days of the "finesse" pitchers. I still get flustered thinking about Glavine and Avery pinpointing fastballs 6-10 inches off the plate and getting strike calls and then dropping the slider in for a swing and miss because it was the closest to being hittable (it wasn't).
wbt5845
AG
They did have better fights.

wbt5845
AG
And better senses of humor.

Corporal Punishment
AG
That was entertaining as hell. Fatass Eric Gregg. Nice. I hate the idea of robo umps.
Carlo4
AG
Had a game like that sophomore year of HS in JV. Strike zone was at least a foot outside. Had a freshman catcher that was good (played in college) and picked up on it immediately.

I struck out 17 in a 7 inning game with a one hitter. Only time I made morning announcements in HS. It's my Al Bundt 4TD game equivalent.
Big Bucks
AG
Eric Gregg always called a strike zone like he had dinner reservations that he didn't want to break. But considering this was against the Braves and Maddox, I'll allow it. And laugh!
Dallasag02
AG
While they may all be outside pitches, i think the camera offset makes them look alot more outside than they really are.

Would be consistent with everything else about playing baseball in that dump.
hawk1689
AG
I remember that game. I don't remember the calls going both ways.
kb2001
AG
To be fair, that game is looked at as one of the worst jobs by a home plate umpire in history. Pitches weren't even close, the ump later said he was coked out for that game
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.