Kids and baseball cards

1,937 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slamn Sharpe
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My boy is 8 and liking cards. He knows nothing about them. What's the best value these days for mass amounts of old cards and possibly new. Looking on eBay stuff from the early 90s isn't as cheap as I'd think. If anyone has a source please LMK.

I have a ton and have given him my non sets and non high dollar (less than what I got them).
KT 90
AG
I believe it was the late 70's / early 80's whenever Topps/Donruss/Fleer were overprinting cards and the values suffered. You should be able to pick up a shoe box of commons from that timeframe for cheap. Call a local card dealer and tell them you are looking for cheap commons for your kid, they'll likely have some to unload for cheap. You may not find the cheapest ones online, as they may cost more to ship than they are worth.
AggieLit
ORAggieFan said:

My boy is 8 and liking cards. He knows nothing about them. What's the best value these days for mass amounts of old cards and possibly new. Looking on eBay stuff from the early 90s isn't as cheap as I'd think. If anyone has a source please LMK.

I have a ton and have given him my non sets and non high dollar (less than what I got them).
Big difference between the "Buy It Now" offerings and the actual auctions on eBay. A lot of "Buy It Now" is just people waiting for someone to come along and overspend on something. The cheapest "Buy It Now" listings are probably still 20% above value.
CampingAg
AG
Topps Opening Day sets from Walmart/Target are good for kids. Not as expensive or valuable as the high end stuff, but still fun for kids to collect and try to get the whole checklist. As previously mentioned, you can get the late 80s/early 90s stuff really cheap. You hear stories about warehouses that still have pallets of of factory sealed boxes because they made so many. They're worthless. They're also hideous. Not sure they'd be fun for kids, especially when he doesn't know who the vast majority of players are.

Some Walmarts/Targets have past years on clearance. Also check out Topps Sticker Packs. They're pretty cheap too.

If you live in a big city, check out local card shops. If you're in the DFW area, there is one in Argyle that has a kids trading station. Kids can come and just leave cards and take cards.
Quito
AG
My boys are 6 and 8 and love cards. Relic cards hooked them...jersey, patch, or bat cards. They also like the autograph cards.

Surprisingly, you can get autograph cards relatively cheap on eBay. I usually get them one for birthday or Christmas.
Seven Costanza
AG
What is he doing with the cards? Building sets, arranging them by team, looking for certain players, or just flipping through them? I don't have anything constructive to offer - I'm just curious.
Quito
AG
My boys look for certain players, rookies, or relic cards.
ORAggieFan
Seven Costanza said:

What is he doing with the cards? Building sets, arranging them by team, looking for certain players, or just flipping through them? I don't have anything constructive to offer - I'm just curious.
Mine is just figuring it out. I know at that age I was collecting series, had a subscription to Beckett, etc.

He got a few boxes of the Topps Opening Day mentioned and is enjoying them. He's excited to have gotten Trout and Harper in the few packs he's opened so far. We will see where it goes. He was at Padres baseball camp last week and would get cards daily for good work, which re-ignited his interest.
agsalaska
AG
My boy is 8 and he loves cards. He gets a pack or two whenever he goes with me to Wal Mart.

Not sure what he does with them but he does play with them. He had a mean teacher(she is a great teacher) that wouldn't let him bring them to school but they are hoping for a nicer teacher this year when it comes to baseball cards.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Proposition Joe
Late 80's and Early 90's is when the over-saturation occurred - you should be able to find large numbers of cards for relatively cheap. Just avoid any of the PSA graded, sealed sets, etc, etc...
BCSWguru
agsalaska said:

My boy is 8 and he loves cards. He gets a pack or two whenever he goes with me to Wal Mart.

Not sure what he does with them but he does play with them. He had a mean teacher(she is a great teacher) that wouldn't let him bring them to school but they are hoping for a nicer teacher this year when it comes to baseball cards.
A good policy to not allow those at school. Had most of my Cal Ripken collection stolen by a neighborhood kid and they ended up getting sold at the local junior high. Luckily my mom was friends with one of the lunch room monitors and I got most of them back.
tsalem
There is a new store in Caldwell, OPC Baseball with a tremendous amount of inventory. Singles, unopened packs/boxes modern and vintage
Slamn Sharpe
Collecting baseball cards was so much fun for me. If value is important, forget baseball altogether.

Collect Hockey cards or the specialty cards like Walking Dead, or Star Wars.

If you're gonna go with a big sport I would do NBA. My baseball cards from the 80s and 90s won't be worth anything for another 50 years (if my future family is lucky)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.