Does baseball even have a season this year

23,853 Views | 278 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agsalaska
45-70Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Or will this pay argument totally derail any chance of it coming back?
AustinCountyAg
It will be back. July sometime.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
I'm all in favor of the letting spoiled millionaire ballplayers go without any income for the next 8 months.
Proposition Joe
May have some semblance of a season, but no fans.
lunchbox
Sounds like for a July 4th-ish start to happen, they need to come to an agreement by June 1st and start training a week or so later. It is only May 19th - I would expect their negotiations to really get going after Memorial Day.

I'm currently 85% certain there will be a season but it will be interesting to see how many players choose to sit it out because of a medical condition (personal or family member).
W
AG
especially for the players on teams that will only play road/neutral site games for a long time.

e.g. California teams
Bonfired
AG
I know this is MLB focused, but the one that I am really wondering about is minor league baseball. It's pretty much a certainty that their season is a goner...some of those teams were on the chopping block, anyway, but this clusterfark has created monetary issues for teams beyond those.

I usually spend parts of my summer going to minor league games at different parks...great promotions, cheap tickets...I will miss it, and who knows how many of those affiliates will go toes up. I'm hoping it's not as bad as I think.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Are you thinking because of local restrictions? Their governor said sports could resume in June.
BMX Bandit
W said:

especially for the players on teams that will only play road/neutral site games for a long time.

e.g. California teams

California teams will be at home. Announced yesterday
dummble
AG
I would be happier if it was in writing somewhere that west coast games have to start at 7pm CST. 9pm games make me sad
AustinCountyAg
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

I'm all in favor of the letting spoiled millionaire ballplayers go without any income for the next 8 months.
for some pros I agree with this but majority of milb players are struggling right now and even some of the players who were free agents. They aren't getting nothing guaranteed to them
AustinCountyAg
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

for some pros I agree with this but majority of milb players are struggling right now and even some of the players who were free agents. They aren't getting nothing guaranteed to them
Farmer1906
AG
If high schools are opening for baseball now, what is MLB waiting on? Figure it out!
BMX Bandit
Farmer1906 said:

If high schools are opening for baseball now, what is MLB waiting on? Figure it out!
this little thing called "salary" that high school players don't have to worry about
The Lost
dummble said:

I would be happier if it was in writing somewhere that west coast games have to start at 7pm CST. 9pm games make me sad
Glad to know you'll be the reason for the lockout and season never starting
W
AG
never underestimate the ability of the players union...to go full players union
CampingAg
AG
Part of me just says screw it, we'll see you in 2021 (hopefully). There's just so many different types of issues and it's gonna be so far from a normal baseball setting. I don't know what to think.
BMX Bandit
If baseball thought the reaction to canceling 1994 season was rough, see how the country reacts to not playing in 2020 over a money dispute.
Farmer1906
AG
If the NHL, NBA, and NFL all restart or start on time and MLB doesn't then it'll be a terrible look.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I agree with BMX and Farmer. I keep saying that people have no interest in millionaires arguing with billionaires in normal scenarios. They damned sure don't when the world is turned on it's side and close to 40 million people are out of work. Blake Snell opening his idiot mouth certainly didn't help the players cause here.
CampingAg
AG
I would go to a sold out baseball game tomorrow and I wouldn't think twice about it.
tjack16
AG
I'm losing more hope each day in regards to baseball this season. It seems like almost none of the players are okay with the recent proposal.
BMX Bandit
Until June 1 rolls around, no need to even be concerned.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I thought it was interesting that the article I read earlier had the players complaining about no hydrotherapy/showers, limiting family, and them having to arrive in uniform. Nothing about pay and they said they wanted more tests than they were offering. Seems like a kind of contradictory stance to complain about their safety being on the line and then turn around and complain about some of the measures being used to keep them safe.
themissinglink
AG
Drellich saying players don't like the plan. Hopefully this is just a negotiating tactic. I know the players don't like the idea of a revenue share or sliding scale, but it's probably the most fair way to do this. If you are only going to play 50% of games and (most, if not all) in empty stadiums, I'm not sure how the players can expect to take only a 30-40% pay cut. This is the latest data I was able to find on revenue by stream but I would assume revenue will be down over 50%.

I would think the health and safety considerations can be worked out.

HossAg
AG
Not sure why the players are bad guys for wanting to get paid what they agreed to get paid. Pro-rated salary should be the only offer the owners get to make.

All this "I don't feel bad for millionaire baseball players not getting paid" bull**** is stupid.
tjack16
AG
I know it's easy to say "they are still making millions so they can get over it", but that's stupid.

You budget your life around your salary correct? If I have a job that pays 100K, then I live my life according to that salary..... if all of a sudden my boss says, "hey you're going to make 25k this year"... I don't think that would sit well with me or anybody else in that position. It's not up to us to tell others what they should do with their money.
themissinglink
AG
While it might not sit well with you, what are your other options? It's not like there is a thriving job market. If there is for your occupation, chances are, your boss isn't coming to you with that proposition. Lots of people are dealing with this issue now and taking pay cuts. >30 million Americans are now unemployed because their employer's business is either shutdown or slow.

The players have contracts, but there is apparently a vague clause in the standard player agreement which in case of national emergency, the commissioner can suspend the operation of the contract. I would assume COVID triggers that language.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
HossAg said:

Not sure why the players are bad guys for wanting to get paid what they agreed to get paid. Pro-rated salary should be the only offer the owners get to make.

All this "I don't feel bad for millionaire baseball players not getting paid" bull**** is stupid.
If they don't play at all the offer is going to be they don't make a damned thing. The reality is, they're likely going to have to kick in more to make this hurt less for the league as a whole and if they don't they're all going to look stupid and the players are going to get vilified whether that's right or wrong. Blake Snell being a complete idiot certainly didn't help their image.

Not that any of this really matters as, at this point, this is all negotiating posturing.
BMX Bandit
HossAg said:

This "agreement" never happened. It was always known prorated depended on fans at games.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
The closer we get to June without a plan, in my opinion, the lower the chance of having a season this year.

I don't necessarily begrudge the players, they are already taking a paycut. But so are millions of other Americans right now.

Unfortunately, MLB doesn't have to open their books or the players could negotiate some type of sliding scale where they make X%based on this gross revenue amount or Y% based on this gross revenue amount.

I just hope we get something and we're all at our respective teams ballparks by August watching live and in person.
W
AG
the owners have to explain to the players union the concept of cost accounting. Show how overhead costs are covered / incorporated into the price of each ticket for each home game. And of course those overhead costs now include additional medical supplies, equipment, testing, and so forth.

that's why ownership cannot straight up agree to 50% pay for 50% of the season (81 games)
themissinglink
AG
Player's response...
45-70Ag
AG
So much for that, won't be a season now.
tjack16
AG
Who would have thought that when this whole pandemic started ... the thing that would actually keep baseball from being played was money

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.