RIP Bob Watson

1,575 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by McInnis
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My favorite Astro for years.
First Major Leaguer I ever met.
The Bull
World Series Champ with the Yankees.
Made a cameo in Bad News Bears in Breaking Training.
My best friend in elementary school's dad.
From his son Keith...
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The day before i graduated high school in 1992, i got to throw out the first pitch at an astros game after winning a writing contest put on by hisd, the astros, and the post. This included getting to walk around on the field before the game with the post beat writer. For 2-3 marvelous minutes i got to talk baseball with bob watson, Larry dierker and mark portugal. Bob watson stayed and extra 10 seconds to say "this is your night kid, enjoy it"
JRB78
AG
First Jimmy Wynn. Now Bob Watson. I'll miss these Astros heroes of my youth.
turfman80
AG
I still remember when he scored MLB's millionth run. He was on base when Milt May hit a home run, but he ran fast to step on the plate and was deemed the winner, just ahead of someone else in another game.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
W
AG
Watson beat the Reds' Dave Concepcion by a few seconds.

Apparently Concepcion sprinted around the bases in Cincinnati (after his home run), but still came up a few feet short
McInnis
AG
turfman80 said:

I still remember when he scored MLB's millionth run. He was on base when Milt May hit a home run, but he ran fast to step on the plate and was deemed the winner, just ahead of someone else in another game.
Great trivia question.

I remember my senior year, the inaugural season at Olsen. The Astros played a exhibition game there on the way from Florida to Houston to open their season. When one of the Aggies reached first base and stood next to him the contrast was funny. Skinny young white kids next to the bull. Funny thing, the Aggies won the game 1-0.

RIP bull.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.