100 Game Season or Play into December?

2,596 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gap
KBAGOLFER
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Where would you stand if you had the choice go with a shortened season where every game truly matters and a fast start is HUGE or play full season into December
Wildmen06
AG
I'm beginning to hope they play at all
Longhorn Nation
Given those 2 choices: shortened season.
KT 90
AG
There's no way they are playing into December. Can you imagine if a northern team made it to the World Series and were having to play in sub-freezing temps? It's already cold enough in some of the playoff games.

It'll be a shortened season. Lets just hope we can get at least half a season in this year.

TMACsDaMan
They will realize the success of a shortened season and go to 140 game season in the future and expanded playoffs
MaxPower
I'd vote December. Yankees play all 7 ALCS games in MMP.
jkag89
Shorten season which hopefully would lead to a slightly shortened regular season in the future. Would like to go back to the 156 game schedule before early 1960s expansion but would not be overly upset if they cut an additional week of games. This seems to be a must if they are actually going to go through with the expanded postseason they bandied earlier this year.
Legal Custodian
AG
Either way the President should make whenever Opening Day is this year a national holiday. Make it be the official celebration nationwide.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
jkag89 said:

Shorten season which hopefully would lead to a slightly shortened regular season in the future. Would like to go back to the 156 game schedule before early 1960s expansion but would not be overly upset if they cut an additional week of games. This seems to be a must if they are actually going to go through with the expanded postseason they bandied earlier this year.
it was 154
W
AG
the teams and owners with relatively new stadiums...need to play as many home games as possible.

they'll vote to play into December
10andBOUNCE
AG
Hopefully get in 100 games starting around July.
Playoffs as normal.
All Star game in warm weather climate or dome sometime around Thanksgiving.
Civil04
AG
Look, who knows with how crazy things are right now...My guess is that they shorten the season due to football and basketball, but i'd prefer the good 'ol 168
BMX Bandit
Civil04 said:

Look, who knows with how crazy things are right now...My guess is that they shorten the season due to football and basketball, but i'd prefer the good 'ol 168

You sound like a huge fan
Civil04
AG
This is what happens when you give your 14-year old son your password and let him post. He has been educated on the 162-game season. Thanks for calling him out.
07ag
AG
opening day guess at what we see this year

96 game season: 8 games a week (2 doubleheaders and one off day every week) for 12 weeks starting on or about august 1. world series finishes up around thanksgiving

season can't go too late as it would impact players preparedness for the 2021 season

i think nba and nhl will cancel remainder of season and playoffs
https://ts.la/eric59704
agsalaska
AG
I think, at a very minimum, to make it legitimate, they have to play 52 games. Series against every one in your division twice and everyone out of your division once. I think anything shorter than that and its not enough baseball. They can accomplish that in 60 days. Forget about interleague.

Trade deadline at 15 games.

Do a one off 8 teams from each League playoff with a three or five game first round, five second round, and seven championship, followed by a seven game world series.

That would give the WS champion about 70ish games. We crown College World Series champions at arounf 70 games.

Not sure how to handle the 40 man or the minor leagues. They may be able to play a little later in the fall. Or at least play thru the playoffs.

Hell that would be a lot of fun. You could sell me that right now.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
BMX Bandit
. . .
BMX Bandit
Trucker 96
Season needs to be shortened enough to end sometime in November. If they don't, guys are going to end up breaking down in 2021. Plus trying to squeeze too much into 2020 after a long layoff where players' access to get/keep themselves ready is more challenged and would be asking for trouble
TexAgs1992
BMX Bandit said:

Playing in the closest college ballpark near each team would be a fascinating measure.
ptothemo
AG
Is it just me or do these things directly contradict one another? Maybe there is just some context missing in the tweets or something else that I am missing.

"There are no bans on mass gatherings that limit the ability to play in front of fans"

"and will consider the feasibility of playing in empty stadiums"
07ag
AG
ptothemo said:

Is it just me or do these things directly contradict one another? Maybe there is just some context missing in the tweets or something else that I am missing.

"There are no bans on mass gatherings that limit the ability to play in front of fans"

"and will consider the feasibility of playing in empty stadiums"
players want to play. owners want their to be paying fans in attendance. the agreement is that there are no bans on mass gatherings
https://ts.la/eric59704
Gap
AG
No divisions. Just NL and AL. 3 games home and away against each league opponent gives you a 84 game regular season. That could start as late as July and finish at the traditional end of September.

1 team in each division would always be off as there is an odd number in each league. It would lead to series not always being weekday and weekend. You might have a series that has different travel days than normal so that the one team off isn't sitting for 3 straight days. Or the teams may come to like the 3 straight off days in a season like this. Unsure about that.

Not sure how many would make the playoffs. Maybe 6 in each league with the top 2 getting byes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.