Best glove for 10 year old

6,884 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ORAggieFan
wbr_iii
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My 10 year old has a 11 inch Rawlings and I thinks he should upgrade. Recommendations?
Aggie95
AG
kinda like asking who makes the best Pizza in NYC...it's a personal preference. If he likes the look and feel of the glove he'll play with confidence. It won't make much difference if it's a $50 glove or $200 glove.

I like https://glovewhisperer.com/ I have purchased an IF glove and a catchers mitt from them and have been extremely pleased both times.
TarponChaser
If you don't spend $300 on a custom Nokona with your kid's name embroidered on it he'll never play for his select team and won't play in HS let alone college.
AggieEP
On the parent side of this argument, what kind of glove he has makes almost no impact with this age group. An 11 inch rawlings is a fine glove and there is no reason to get another glove. He's not fielding rockets and making quick transitions to turn double plays, all he needs to do is be able to catch the ball with the glove, so as long as the glove hasn't fallen apart it's going to do the job for him.

On the kid side, perhaps one of his teammates has the aforementioned $300.00 Nokona with embroidery and he's feeling a bit jealous/envious or maybe he just wants a different colored glove/one endorsed by his favorite player. I've been there, I had a glove sponsored by Billy Wagner when I was at that age and felt like I was throwing bullets when I pitched with that glove.

I would ask him why he wants a new glove and make him give you a logical reason. If he can, then make a deal with him to earn it by doing chores/helping out around the house and you'll split the cost. If he can't, he needs to earn enough to buy the new glove outright.
mwm
Get him one that fits. He has to feel confident with whatever is on his hand.
TarponChaser
mwm said:

Get him one that fits. He has to feel confident with whatever is on his hand.

This. Get him a decent quality one. You can easily get one for $50 or less that will be great for a 10-year old.

Obviously my prior post was facetious.
wbr_iii
AG
Sorry more than upgrade I meant bigger. Had a friend who's kid is in a 12 and one in 11.5
TarponChaser
wbr_iii said:

Sorry more than upgrade I meant bigger. Had a friend who's kid is in a 12 and one in 11.5

I still have the fairly expensive Mizuno I played with in HS 25 years ago and it's only a 12" glove. Unless you're an elite outfielder the smaller the glove the better IMHO. I mostly played 3rd base in HS and I'm 6'3" with big hands. No need for a bigger glove for a 10-year old.
94chem
I played 2nd base with a huge glove. Saved me more than a few times on line drives and catches over my shoulder. Never had any problem getting the ball out. Some of the tiny IF gloves seem like a fashion statement.
TexDill15
AG
What position is he mostly playing?? The "average" size for a professional infield glove is probably 11.5 and outfield is 12.75.

So I would say a 11" glove for a 10 year old is pretty spot on for a do anything glove.
wbr_iii
AG
Primarily 2nd, 3rd and a little OF
HossAg
AG
Unless he's huge for his age, 11 inch is probably perfect for that right now.
aggielax48
AG
My son is just about to turn 9. He uses an 11" glove and plays both infield and outfield with it. As others have said, I think its the right size for his age, and he's slightly above average is size. I think a bigger glove is a crutch, but frankly what I've seen is the gloves being too heavy and bulky for a kid that age. They can also run into issues getting the ball out of a big glove. At that age, kids are getting down the line, you don't have time to bumble the ball around in an oversized glove.

If the glove is broken in and in good shape I think I would stick with the 11". Maybe upgrade to a 11.25". 11.5" is probably still ok but definitely be aware of the weight and how your kids controls the glove.

I'm a Rawlings guy myself, but I've found the Mizuno youth gloves to be really good quality. I'd maybe look at something like this.Mizuno Prospect 11"

I like the Rawlings Pro Lites as well. They're game ready, maybe a little too broken in for my liking, but they're light for youth players. Rawlings Pro Lite 11.25"

Little bit of an upgrade Rawlings R9 11" or Rawlings R9 11.25"
AustinCountyAg
IMO an 11 yr old or younger needs a more budget friendly glove if it's needed to be used relatively soon.

Why?

Because the better gloves which are more $$$ are more heavy, and the leather is of much better quality which is usually much stiffer than the more budget friendly gloves. Non-teenagers will have a much more difficult time breaking in the glove correctly as well as running with a heavier glove and fielding his/her position. Not to mention young children are forgetful, and accidents happen (losing glove, having it stolen, left outside, etc.). Also the child will growing a lot in the upcoming years.

I wouldn't spend money on a higher quality glove until the child is at least 13 or so IMO
TarponChaser
aggielax48 said:

My son is just about to turn 9. He uses an 11" glove and plays both infield and outfield with it. As others have said, I think its the right size for his age, and he's slightly above average is size. I think a bigger glove is a crutch, but frankly what I've seen is the gloves being too heavy and bulky for a kid that age. They can also run into issues getting the ball out of a big glove. At that age, kids are getting down the line, you don't have time to bumble the ball around in an oversized glove.

If the glove is broken in and in good shape I think I would stick with the 11". Maybe upgrade to a 11.25". 11.5" is probably still ok but definitely be aware of the weight and how your kids controls the glove.

I'm a Rawlings guy myself, but I've found the Mizuno youth gloves to be really good quality. I'd maybe look at something like this.Mizuno Prospect 11"

I like the Rawlings Pro Lites as well. They're game ready, maybe a little too broken in for my liking, but they're light for youth players. Rawlings Pro Lite 11.25"

My 9-year old has been using the Rawlings Select Pro Lite 12" for a couple years now. For the price I think it's a really good value. It's pretty light and doesn't require much break-in. He plays OF and 3B with it and from what I can tell any issues are more about the indian and not the arrow.
TarponChaser
HossAg said:

Unless he's huge for his age, 11 inch is probably perfect for that right now.

My 9-year old went to the dr. last week for strep throat and measured 5'1.25" and 118# and his glove I mentioned above fits him well.
aggielax48
AG
Did you mean 19-yr old? Your kid is ginormous.
HossAg
AG
12" is fine for outfield and is fine for your kid as long as his hand fits, but smaller gloves are still better for infield.
TarponChaser
HossAg said:

12" is fine for outfield and is fine for your kid as long as his hand fits, but smaller gloves are still better for infield.

I never said they weren't. I believe it was 94chem who said otherwise.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
On a side note about the sarcasm above....pretty sure most kids aren't sporting Nakona gloves anymore. Most are probably sporting a Wilson A2000 with the pinky and thumb flared out.

Wilson does make many quality lesser models as well that can have the same look.
ORAggieFan
TarponChaser said:

aggielax48 said:

My 9-year old has been using the Rawlings Select Pro Lite 12" for a couple years now. For the price I think it's a really good value. It's pretty light and doesn't require much break-in. He plays OF and 3B with it and from what I can tell any issues are more about the indian and not the arrow.

My boy who turns 8 in two weeks has the Rawlings Select Pro as do a few of his teammates. It is a great glove for that age.
ORAggieFan
cpsencik04 said:

On a side note about the sarcasm above....pretty sure most kids aren't sporting Nakona gloves anymore. Most are probably sporting a Wilson A2000 with the pinky and thumb flared out.

Wilson does make many quality lesser models as well that can have the same look.

Ive had my two A2000's for over 20 years. It's what I'll be getting my son if he's playing when older. If he wasn't a leftie, I'd buy now and use for myself to break it in.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.